Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brakes for 16", or upsize to 17" worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2002, 09:58 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as subject...

I want something that i will not warp or fade on the road... if i get decent brakes... i want to use them.. lots

and something that *may* withstand a couple of track days... as i may be tempted to go on knockhill soon

does that mean the AP racing ones? (1500 quid!)
or are group N ones ok?

keep under 16" wheels, or is moving up to 17" that much better?

[Edited by SCOSaltire - 3/18/2002 10:08:25 PM]
Old 19 March 2002, 01:15 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Moving to 17in wheels will give you an instant advantage. Bigger discs have significantly more mechanical leverage, and bigger discs cool better.

Group N means nothing. The standard brake discs are Group N by definition, and they are crap. There are lots of after-market Group N brakes that are equally sh1te. If you need to stick with 16in wheels and want to go tracking, Pagid, Alcon (Prodrive) and Godspeed are the ways to go.

All of these will stun you on the road. Godspeeds with alloy bells will go best/longest on track. But for ultimate track day performance, the answer is an official AP Racing kit. There is nothing better.

Richard.
Old 19 March 2002, 09:57 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

hi sco,

sorry I did not see you on Sunday.if you have no luck with dealers sorting your car,give john banks a shout and he will give you my number.it might be worth cleaning the maf and cleaning the pipes just to see if it helps.

I fully agree with the above.all I would say is decide if are you going to go to K/hill for grin factor,or to challenge faster cars to some sport.

I run standard 4pots with Pagid 16groove discs and Pagid pads.I have tried other pads but none equal the Pagid for all round ability and lasting.I did manage to cook a set of Pagid pads at their second track day but sundays set lasted 80 laps(guess) and still have life in them,but not enough for another track day.the Pagid discs also seem to last well.sunday was their 5th track event.the only precaution I take is to torque the wheel nuts before and during the day.this may be why they have not warped yet (touch wood).they have small cracks in them but so would any hard used disc.I never warped the standard discs(also torqued) either but they did have larger cracks.

I might try the godspeed stuff,but to be honest the Pagid stuff suits me,so may not be worth the risk changing.if you think you are going for fast laps with slicks then as Hoppy says go for the AP stuff.
Old 19 March 2002, 10:01 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
AP kit with 305mm disc fits 16" wheel.

IMHO you will not see any advantage over this kit if you were to use the 330mm kit or even 6-pot. Unless your car is running on track, with slicks and suitable suspension.

This kit can be had for quite a bit less if you are prepared to do the leg work and shop around.

[Edited by Mo - 3/19/2002 10:02:48 AM]
Old 19 March 2002, 10:44 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I know this feeling!

had 16"s on my car for a while, and wanted basically what you wanted, better brake performance.

The AP Racing 4-pot kit, as Mo says, is meant to fit under standard subaru 16 inch wheels, and personally I think it would be excellent.

You can download a caliper profile from the AP site so you can check if it will fit under your wheels.

I've posted up my 'story' about what brakes I went for and why, might or might not interest you, read it here
Old 19 March 2002, 01:49 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Please see my thread in FOR SALE regarding a group buy on Godspeed 308mm conversion to fit a 16" wheel or bigger.

Thanx.

David
Old 19 March 2002, 11:43 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

cheers

t-uk
I didnt make it to KH on sunday.. had to do overtime... got major website being launched next week... so was in working on that ... I am going to Fiskens on saturday... so will see what happens.. they were a nice on the phone... will see how it goes... i think that ur right - cleaning the piping / maf sensor / changing filter to standard will sort it .. will let u know ta

as for brakes... well...

reason is... its time to decide to spend money and keep car for nother 2 or 3 years.. or let her go...

i want to keep her... so thus sorting the brakes... which smelt bad when i stopped at work on sunday ah breath out... sigh..

i reckon id be giving other cars sporting challenges at knockhill (well, the car may, but i might not be mad enough )... but would *probably* not use slicks... tho u never know

AP Racing are favourite... 4 pots.. as i heard that 6 pots may be a bit nuts on the road... tho very little difference in price

does that include replacing the rear brakes in the kits? i hope so !

the current ns calipers are sticking... so best to replace all probably - hence a kit.

oh so confusing...

proably need to sort out tiring springs / dampers too...
and then also some 17" wheels

hmmmm

or just keep em and stick on the smallest ap racing kit...

the standard 16" wheels dont look like they would give much chance for the brakes to cool...

thats my worry .. what do u think?

anyone selling P1 wheels?
Old 20 March 2002, 10:43 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

I would say you are looking for similar performance to me although I have never felt the need to upgrade the suspension.I do not think the later UK cars would offer as much of a benifit as earlier cars with just Eibach springs fitted.coilovers to me,are the only way to go for us.I run standard suspension with nothing added,all I do is up the tyre pressures on track.

I would like to try slicks but I fear this would put too much stress on the standard clutch and gearbox,coming out of the corners.I can see why people run them as I was told they can knock 2seconds off your lap at K/hill,also if you look in drivetrain at "Dawes on track" you will see we were trying different set-ups.the more power I got the more time I lost through the twisties as grin factor was high with slides getting held twice as long but this is the main reason I go,not to race.slicks would have helped but then I might have needed the coilovers and big brakes.

at the moment my car seems very well balanced.the brakes are possibly on the limit but after 5track days the discs are lasting well,the pads do need changed after every full day event though.

I would say,if you see yourself running slicks then get the big brakes and start saving for the suspension,bushes,strut braces and roll bars etc.then once you have this you can start saving for the fmic,big turbo and link ECU .
Old 23 March 2002, 10:52 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

yeah.. never ending story

but i dont have a never ending income..

so... what disks / where / how much are urs?

anyone got any views on the scoobysport brembo / ap racing kit to fit under standard 16" wheels?