Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New discs and pads - AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2002, 01:03 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far I have done 45k miles in my scoob. The pads have been changed twice and the discs once. Now they tell me discs and pads need changing again.
Never been on a track or anything with it and although it gets a hard life is it normal to shoot through pads this quickly?

Cheers

Nick
Old 21 March 2002, 01:12 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

I've also done 45K in my WRX and I am yet to change my discs/pads. Might be the way I drive it - lots of regular motorway commuting....

Also I don't get it serviced at a main dealer so I get a realistic opinion, when I bought it the companies mechanic thought I would get a couple of thousand miles out of them....

Are they squealing yet?
Old 21 March 2002, 04:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Nick,
for the price that the dealer keeps charging you you should try going for the group buy in for sale section and get the 308mm godspeed kit these should last longer than the OEM parts (hopefully) and give you better braking in the process

Tony
Old 21 March 2002, 05:10 PM
Elvis Presley
Scooby Regular

Had to get new pads and disks at 22500 service.
Was pretty hacked off but was unable to get them done under warranty. Then found out that a guy I know had his done under warranty after 25k?

Apparently the disks were warped, although I do NOT drive that hard.
Old 22 March 2002, 09:20 AM
bugwaan
Scooby Regular

ME TOO
33,000Km and front pads need replacing.
Then told that the discs were below minimum thickness and would also need to be replaced as the car was now technically unroadworthy. Apparently from about 10 independent brake shops (i phoned about 20) the REX will go thru brakes quite fast & also the discs. Not very happy as it cost me $830 for the change. Highway robbery. It's not as though its a BMW or something,,,but Subaru charge throught the nose. 4 Pot big brakes with stopping power like a porsche (almost) cost heaps....as i found out.
Aftermarket gear...? No need I reckon as the original brakes are excellent.
Old 22 March 2002, 09:27 AM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys
I'm a bit stuck as its a company motor, so i have to go main delaer - and although its not my money I don't want to be ripped off. The first time they said the discs had heat cracks (at 30K service) Are std Subaru discs really that bad. I do quite a bit of motorway cruising so I find it hard to believe they are gone again.
Does anyone know what the minimum thickness is so that I can take the wheel off and measure up?

Cheers

Nick
Old 22 March 2002, 03:37 PM
Roger The Cat
Scooby Regular

had mine done at 15k miles new front disks and pads as dicks had tiny cracks in them. all under warrenty. now at 17k miles and its going back in. the scraping noise that originally alerted me to a problem has not gone away.

any ideas anybody?
Old 22 March 2002, 03:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yup the std subaru items are pretty crap
Nick if its a company car, see if they will pay for the alcon brake upgrade better brakes all round then and its an official subaru accessory
That should keep the insurance happy and your car stopping quicker in the process

Tony
Old 26 March 2002, 05:47 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Cheers Tony. Any idea of the cost for this - that'll def be their first question.

Thanks
Old 26 March 2002, 07:49 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Same problems i'm afraid.
pads and f/discks @ 19K - Disks warped - dealer did the disks under warranty.

pads @ 40K + F/Disks worn out, changed to a non-monkey metal disk as i was tired of the std items and lost faith in the std disks.

MY 99 - No track days, 60% motorway use and not thrashed to hell.Whilst i accept the pads going @ 19K i would have expected the disk to do double that.
Old 26 March 2002, 11:42 PM
Abzdon
Scooby Regular

Dealer has just told me at the 30K service that all my disk and pads need changing! Pads are worn which is fair enough but the disks are apparently corroded and a mechanic mate has noticed they have small cracks.

Going by the previous posts some of you have had to pay yourselves for new parts and others have had them repaced under warranty. Dealer said brakes aren't covered under warranty but surely disks corroding and cracking isn't normal?

Of those that have had them fixed under warranty, has anyone asked them to fit the uprated disks (Alcon?) and pay the difference? Can't see the point in fitting standard ones again if they will just do the same and the next time they won't be under warranty.

Roger, I have scraping noise and I thought it was handbrake shoes as mine seized to the drum after not being driven for week ! Worth checking if this is same on yours.

Cheers,

Duncan...
Old 27 March 2002, 12:17 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry Nick, dunno the cost of the Alcons but as its an accessory atleast your company shouldnt complain
Id expect cost to be in excess of 500 quid thou

Tony