BIG BRAKES - balanced??

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2009, 03:34 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question BIG BRAKES - balanced??

Hi,

Can anyone advise me if this set up will be a good or bad balance for a big brake set up:

K-Sport

8-pots 356mm discs Front
6-pots 356mm discs Rear

Is that rear brake set up going to be too much??

I wont be doing any track time on these, it's purely for road use (and yes possibly an over kill), but I wanted bigger anchors and thought I'd go the whole hog front and back
Old 09 September 2009, 05:23 PM
mikef04
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what you trying to stop a steam train?? lol
Old 09 September 2009, 05:35 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

Thats exactly what I had on my Evo and I think there are a few people on here running that combo. It is definately overkill on the back but I wanted tham all to match and didnt notice any adverse effects.
Old 09 September 2009, 05:39 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

lol@Mike...

Yeah definately overkill, no1 will dispute that, but as long as there's no noticeable adverse effects like Arthur says, I'm happy

I guess when it comes to balancing brake set ups it'd be more critical with say a RWD car?
Old 09 September 2009, 06:21 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Before buying I'd drop an e-mail to ian@godspeedbrakes.co.uk, or Alyn at ASPerformance, they are the braking gen men
Old 09 September 2009, 10:08 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

I do hear very good things about Godspeed breaks, but I wanna go BIG BOY on the calipers
Old 11 September 2009, 02:20 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Read this Alex before you do anything Brake Myth #1

plus these
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2...Big_Brakes.htm

I know the artical talks about MGF racers but the math is the same no matter what car you drive.

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 11 September 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11 September 2009, 03:17 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Is that you Ben????

Thanks for the links, very interesting read!

I agree that balance on brakes is very important and you dont want too much on the rears.

This is vital if you're gonna be doing track time or if you drive hard all day long on the road and leave braking til the very last few milli seconds... but I'm NEVER tracking my car and I dont drive like that on the road (anymore).

I just want peace of mind to know I've got really good stopping power should the sudden need arise to brake abruptly and if I'm totally honest, I also just want sexy looking brakes
Old 11 September 2009, 04:33 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i run 6 pots on the front and standard my99 uk rear brakes and balance feels fine
Old 11 September 2009, 04:41 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alex_00s
Is that you Ben????

Thanks for the links, very interesting read!

I agree that balance on brakes is very important and you dont want too much on the rears.

This is vital if you're gonna be doing track time or if you drive hard all day long on the road and leave braking til the very last few milli seconds... but I'm NEVER tracking my car and I dont drive like that on the road (anymore).

I just want peace of mind to know I've got really good stopping power should the sudden need arise to brake abruptly and if I'm totally honest, I also just want sexy looking brakes
Fair enough, we all want brakes to work as soon as we need them and work well. But don't forget its not just the bakes that will make you stop any quicker.

I would rather have some brakes work rather than look all sparkly and showy. Most of the brake kits people fit that I have seen on most modified road cars look like they would not stop you and 500 paces as they are for show and thats it. I would rather have a brake set-up that looks less bling, but actually will work time and again. At the end of the day, its up to the buyer what they want and their intended use.

But I think fitting those brakes with 8 and 6 piston calipers is over kill. I judge buy your avatar picture that you have a classic which weighs the same amount as a feather, so you don't I guess need a massive brake kit like that. I also heard while ago on this very forum that those K Sport 8 and 6 pot kits are no better than say a 4 pot brembo or AP racing caliper.

Look at what the manufactures, Say Subaru for instance. They tested and re tested different brakes that where suitable for the newage STi which weighs quite a bit more than your classic and that only has 4 pot brembos up front and 2 pot rear brembos and that stops fine for what Subaru intended, so why the need for uber large fancy 'look at me' brakes?

Darren

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 11 September 2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12 September 2009, 09:59 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

I do have that very classic as in my avatar yes...

I know alot of ppl that have new age sti's and wr1s and they have all changed their brembos in place of aps or the like.

They all said the brembos suffered from brake fade and were nothing in comparison to their upgrades... i dont know where or not if they just changed the pads to a higher quality version and used better brake fluid, maybe it'd of solved that?

but either way they didnt feel as confident with the brembos and i guess neither do most sti/wr1 drivers hence the abundance of them for sale on here and other places...

i guess subaru knew what they were doing and tried and tested as you say and came up with the perfect brakes for the 'standard' car... but as we all know, a 'standard' subaru is as common as a politition that tells the truth.

i'm currently around the 340bhp mark and the standard brakes on my car are certainly not good enuf, i know that much and i doubt a set of brembos from a newage sti would be much better.

plus these brakes will come with me if and when i sell the car and maybe next time i'll have an even more powerful car (if i already havnt increased the power of this current one).

i see these brakes as an investment and insurance that my car will have no trouble in the stopping department
Old 12 September 2009, 11:27 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I'd suggest a Brembo set-up with Performance Friction discs and pads, they stop a lardy New-Age easily and bolt straight on without needing 19" wheels.....

Don't forget that the pads you choose have a massive effect on cold braking performance, mine are superb, but get better and better as they warm up.

You can find a set of Brembos, and have them colour coded to look like new, and fit to yours !

IMHO

dunx

P.S. Mine does a few trackdays and I can boil the fluid, but I can't fade the brakes....

Last edited by dunx; 12 September 2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12 September 2009, 11:44 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
i run 6 pots on the front and standard my99 uk rear brakes and balance feels fine
Same as that Tidge i run AP 6 pots with DS2500 pads with standard rears and cheap ****ty motor factor pads and the thing stands on it's nose when required !!
Old 12 September 2009, 05:52 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

For the same price as a set of AP 6pots with DS2500's I've got the K-Sports front and rear so I'm happy with that

I was going to get a set of Brembo's originally and wack a set of pukka pads on and maybe some grooved discs... but I thought I'd push the boat out.

Order has been placed and on the boat they will be... 10 week wait... but thats cool.
Old 12 September 2009, 11:29 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Bez has used his on track and he's had to replace the rotors with Performance Friction items.... I do realise yours is more "show" than go, but the extra un-sprung weight will detract from the cars suspension performance.

dunx
Old 13 September 2009, 10:00 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

There's only one solution to coping with the extra un-sprung weight... will need more power

Once I've been using the anti-lag for a while I dare say the turbo will go bang and then what better excuse to get hold of a VF34 and see if I cant squeeze some extra horses out of it
Old 13 September 2009, 10:22 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

I just found something interesting regarding the un-sprung weight of these brakes...

What about the increase in unsprung weight?

STiFreak kindly supplied figures for the stock Brembos:

Front Disk and bell = 11.5kg
Rear Disk and bell = 9.5kg
Front 4-pot Caliper = 6kg
Rear 2-pot Caliper = 3kg

Overall weight for all four corners, comes in at 58kg.

As opposed to the K-sports:

356mm rotor with bell and fixings 8.8kg
330mm rotor with bell and fixings 7.6kg
Front 8 pot caliper 2.8kg
Rear 6 pot caliper 2.4kg

Overall weight for all four corners is 43.2kg

Ref: https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...group-buy.html
Old 13 September 2009, 10:23 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Less un-sprung weight... happy days!
Old 13 September 2009, 11:24 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

If its all just for show then why not these?

Brake Caliper Cover
Old 13 September 2009, 01:34 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Its not all for show, I admit I want sexy looking brakes, but the main reason for the upgrade is simply the stopping power.

Besides, I'd never fake any look on any car ever... thats so chavy! ...if you aint got it, dont pretend you have!
Old 26 September 2009, 06:10 AM
snowman4us
Scooby Newbie

Brembo brakes will do wonders for a GC.

If you are building a Track car, get a high quality brake kit. AP, Brembo, Project Mu, StopTech.
Just becouse you see it have a massive ammounts of calipers, does not mean its a quality kit. Not sure about UK, but in the States we dont have a single fast time attack car running K-Sport brakes. Not sure if K-Sport is a different company in UK then in US, but here they are a knock off brand that has parts manufactured in China, Thailand, and so forth where quality control on the products is not as high as allot of the Europe, Japan, and US manufactures.

PS. This is my opinion. Take it for what its worth. But there is a reason why there kit is 1/3 the cost of the other brands. Corners get cut, to lower cost. On brakes, thats the last thing you want to cheap out on. As if your brakes fail, you got nothing to slow you down and considering that impacts kill, you wana avoid brake failure at all costs.

Last edited by snowman4us; 26 September 2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 26 September 2009, 07:20 AM
erchie84
Scooby Regular

I'm running ap fronts and brembo rears and they DO stop me very well