Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

What does a dodgy wheel bearing sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2002, 08:02 PM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have developed a kind of high pitched hum at around 100mph, and its not the police I have no idea what it is and I am having real troble locating it. Also I hit a pot hole about a week ago but cant see that it did anything? Certainly no marks on the wheels or vibrations etc so i am not sure its related. This hum comes on at about 95-100 and on decelartion. I will get gemoetry checked at next service but just wondered if anyone knew what it was. It is speed related and not rev related. The noise continues even when not on gas at that speed.

Cheers

Paul
Old 11 March 2002, 09:49 PM
madness
Scooby Regular

the bearings went on one of my wheels and the decription you give sounds very similar to those i was experiencing. A humming vibration at certain speeds... mine was most noticeable at around 40 mph.

I took it too ScoobySport and they first took it for a drive and then lifted it off the floor with someone in it. The driver then drove the car to the speed i told them. A technician then listened to the wheel with something resembling a stethescope (no joke) - and you could clearly hear the vibrations.

I would highly recommend you visit them as they were very professional at finding and confirming the problem. Bearings were around £140 (Version 4 Type-R) and labour was around £150. The labour was on the highside because they had problems getting the old bearings out. Should cost you less for labour.
Old 11 March 2002, 11:11 PM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that madness. Was your humming high pitched or low pitched? I dont seem to get any vibration. It didnt seem to do it tn8 either which is strange. I dont think they will drive it to 100mph on the lift will they? I wonder if there is anyother way to tell if its on its way out?

P.S. I am well aware of scoobysport, trouble there is that i'll end up with £500 worth or extra mods before leaving Still i'll probably pay that anyway at a dealer for the privallege of looking
Old 12 March 2002, 09:24 AM
madness
Scooby Regular

it was quite high pitched, and perhaps vibration was the wrong word, it was a humming sound. It definately did it every time at the same speed for me, around 40ish, more noticeable when going round bends - my front wheel was the one with the problem.

I believe another possible way to tell is if there is any lateral movement in the wheel, although this will depend on how bad the bearings are i think... I'm sure they will have a quick look for you just to confirm... nothing to loose.

wrt your last comment - I know exactly what you mean. You'll have to go in with cash only or blindfolded or get someone else to take your motor in for you... (if you trust anyone enough, which I don't)
Old 12 March 2002, 03:49 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I had this once on me old car - mechanic took me out and said the way to narrow it down is drive along at around 40 then put it into neutral and let the clutch out. If it still continues u know its nothing gearbox/clutch related etc and can often hear it better.
Old 12 March 2002, 04:52 PM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

Cheers,

I'll get them to look at it at the dealers when it goes in for an up pipe replacement. I might try the clutch thing too. I'll let you know.

Paul.
Old 12 March 2002, 05:02 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

hmmm I have a similar noise in my MY99 (all speeds) no vibration, just a humming like increased road noise, I was told by the dealer that it was the tyres, which I believed as theyre crappy Avon ZZ1's plus the car just had a major service, so had no reason to question him, I did anyway.. I hope the dealer isnt pulling my ****, and I've got a dodgy bearing(s) to Oh well its covered on warranty
Old 12 March 2002, 06:27 PM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

All rather interesting. Hope you don't mind me butting in, but I may have a similar problem.

If the bearings are knackered (technical term) would it cause the car to judder when braking? Let me explain.

I have noticed a similar hum lately, especially above 40mph. It does continue if you put the car in neutral whilst driving along. It started at the same time I had my brakes uprated to 355mm grooved and drilled disks. At the time I was told by the garage fitting them that it is not uncommon to get a slight hum from such disks as the air passes through them. Seemed logical at the time and never thought about it again until I started reading this.

My car is a MY98 and has covered just under 51000. Only covered about 2000 miles since having the brakes done.

However, about a week ago I started noticing a judder when the brakes are applied. If the brakes are applied lightly below 40mph the steering feels like it wobbles slightly. Brake harder below 40mph and the car starts to judder. If braking lightly between 40-80 mph it judders, similar to harder braking below 40mph, except that the frequency of the vibration is higher. Brake hard at these speeds and the juddering turns into a quite violent shaking of the car.
I can best describe it as a similar feeling to driving over the rumble strips ( there to make you slow down) as you approach some roundabouts / end of slip roads, except a much faster vibration. The vibrations can be felt through the pedal, the steering and through the whole of the car. It is really quite violent causing the car to shake and rattle.

Anyone with any bright ideas?
Wheel bearings?
Warped disks?

Cheers

Simon
Old 13 March 2002, 10:33 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I changed my wheels from 15"s to 16"s on Sunday. Tyres looks brand newish with plenty of thread on it. The problem I'm getting now is a humming sound that also appears to happen at around 40-50mph. I think it might be the wheel bearings but this hasn't happened before I changed the wheels. Any ideas guys?
Old 13 March 2002, 10:40 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Katana, and what tyres has the 16's got?
Old 13 March 2002, 10:46 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Yokos, I got it from John last Saturday and they look to be in good condition overall. I guess he hardly ever used it because it looks newish and the fact that he told me golds don't suit silver. It looks great on red though (regardless of what pslewis says )

[Edited by Katana - 3/13/2002 10:49:06 AM]
Old 13 March 2002, 12:24 PM
madness
Scooby Regular

just thought i'd mention (wrt above posts), my wheel drivers side front bearings had definately gone, but only after a very heavy curbing (took big chunks out of the alloy wheel)
Old 13 March 2002, 12:58 PM
Canuck
Scooby Regular

I have exactly the same issue with my MY97T (humming noise at moderate speed without much change on pitch as speed increased - reported it on this BBS awhile back and got nothing back that could be considered helpful.

Old Thread

I too have noticed some slight juddering under braking.
Ran it into TSL and the technician took it out for a spin and concluded that it must be tyre noise and not bearings or diffs.
The car is back into TSL for a service at the end of the month and I'll ask them to check this out. Thanks for raising this! I'll report back what they found out.

[Edited by Canuck - 3/13/2002 1:02:17 PM]
Old 02 April 2002, 08:15 AM
Canuck
Scooby Regular

Everything has checked out OK by TSL. No obvious probs reported with bearings, diffs, dust shields, discs or braided brake lines. Consensus was that it is down to tyre noise resonating up through the suspension.

A(n)(annoying) mystery; one that will be tested this weekend when I swap the wheels and tyres over to 215/40/16's.

If anyone finds an answer to this I'd be interested to learn more.
Old 02 April 2002, 03:55 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the update canuck. I'll know for sure when I change to some decent tyres to, but let us know again when u do yours, thanks.
Old 02 April 2002, 08:57 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I hit a deep ridge in the road (left by road works) a few weeks ago. This seems to have caused all sorts of problems. Firstly it developed a steering wheel wobble which was more or less sorted by having the wheels balanced. Second, during the above balancing my attention was drawn to a bulge in the front N/S tyre, which clearly had been destroyed by the impact. This was replaced.

I then noticed a vibration on braking from high speeds exactly as described above. I suspected a warped disc and after replacing the front discs the vibration has disappeared. I thought the saga had ended until today when I got the tracking done which incidently was only slightly out. The mechanic noticed a bulge in the rear N/S tyre, less severe than the front but nonetheless very similar.

Not surprisingly I'm a bit pi$$ed off with the whole episode and have submitted a claim to the local council roads dept. What I'm not sure about, is whether you can cause a brake disc to become warped by going over a pot hole or ridge or is this always due to overheating of the disc. Not sure whether to put this on the claim since it might affect my credibility.

D.
Old 03 April 2002, 10:44 PM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

Well to add more info to this thread.

My alcons have started juddering the steering wheel again. This will be the second time. They seem to have developed this 6 weeks after fitting in both instances. I am always very careful with my brakes i.e. not resting on them at junctions or using them to come to a complete stop after using them hard, if you know what i mean. I have booked it into the dealer who is going to investigate the whole thing including diameter testing of the disks so i'll let you know how that goes. Interestingly, it doesnt shudder the steering wheel all the time but i am not sure if that is heat related. I still dont know what the noise is at 100 mph. I can only think that it is wind related but it doesnt sound like it. I thought maybe its the braided hoses causing creating some kind of air flow but cant see it???

Now, the distortion of brake feel occured before the hitting of pot hole and has happened again. Dealer reckons that this kind of stuff and bearings is not enough to cause them to warp. All I can say is I will be having a full gemoetry, balancing, bearing, and brake check on the 15th and so hopefully may have some answers as to whats happened. If the noise is wind related and not connected with any of the above i doubt i'll ever get rid of it. You cant exactly ask them to test above 70 so I'll probably have to live with it.

Cheers

Paul.
Old 03 December 2002, 07:31 PM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

Simon,

I would say it sounds like you have warped disks if you get steering wheel judder on braking. If they are under warranty get them checked. I recently returned some alcons 330mm due to the exact same problesm u describe except my judder was between 80-70. Rumble strips is a good example but the steering wheel judder is scarry.

My noise definately sounds like its coming from some drivetrain'y or wheel truning thing and just hums at the same pitch. Trouble is i can only produce it at above 100mph which means the dealer basically cant recreate it. I have never had a wheel bearing go so I don't know what it really sounds like. I was told it was more of a deep low hum but mine is quite high.

Cheers

Paul

[Edited by paulwadams_my99 - 3/12/2002 7:38:51 PM]