Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Advice on furure brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2009, 12:06 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on furure brake upgrade

I want to plan for a future purchase (wont be for a while mind). Need advice on brake upgrades. Don't want to spend a fortune. Currently have standard 4 pot calipers up front with black diamond grooved discs with Ferodo DS2500 pads. At the rear is 2 pot calipers with original disc/pad (24k done so far!).

Would like to maybe go up to 6pot fronts, but move the front 4pot/disc/pad to rear. Is this a good idea or not? I have seen that you can get bigger discs to use with standard calipers from Godspeed. Just want to think about where I will go in the future.

I have goodridge hoses already, but thinking of getting the brake stopper thingy - good idea?

Cheers.
Old 12 August 2009, 12:15 PM
mikef04
Scooby Regular

get yourself some brembo's of a new sti
Old 12 August 2009, 02:00 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

I read a few posts saying Brembos were not that much better than standard WRX, especially with uprated discs/pads and hoses. What is needed (other than buying them) to make them fit? Are STi Brembos 4 pots front and rear? I can imagine the cost of buying them, fitting and future replacements being expensive - needs to be worth it in terms of performance.
Old 14 August 2009, 03:28 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Anyone got any knowledge in this area?
Old 15 August 2009, 09:45 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the fronts wont work correctly on the rear, they "could" be made to work but you'd have to limit their operation so much as to be worthless............and a mare to make fit

as for Brembo's not being better than the std 4pots then not strictly true, you have 30mm bigger front discs, 26mm larger rears and a larger pad area all round -the only issue you may find is that the std front set-up has inherent problems dissipating heat, depends on your proposed use/driving style

as for fitting the fronts are a straight swap as long as you use the "set" of calipers, pads, discs.....at the rear then (presuming you have a new-age WRX from the above posts), you will need a larger h/brake shoe kit and everything will fit as a set again............

alyn

Last edited by stockcar; 17 August 2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 15 August 2009, 04:24 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

So if I read this correctly, you are saying my std 4pot fronts can be moved to the rear (lock stock) but I need a larger h/brake shoe - nothing else? What kind of money are we talking for a pair?

I would prefer to invest in a pair of 6pots for the front if the above is possible (rather than Brembos). I'm sure it would be more cost and performance effective.

Any recommendations - not wanting to spend 1k, more like 5-750?
Old 15 August 2009, 07:26 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The brake stopper is a good thing as it stops the master cylinder moving under braking, due to the bulkhead flexing. Got one on my Scooby and fitted one to a mates and he said straight away the brakes felt a lot better.
Old 16 August 2009, 12:35 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

I read a few people saying it makes a real difference on the classics, but not much (if any) on the newage. Do I believe this? Don't want to throw money away, but it is only £30 or so. Interested to know if your experiences are on a newage.