Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Replacing my Eagle F1's - which tyres to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2009, 10:56 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Replacing my Eagle F1's - which tyres to buy?

I've been running Eagle F1 GSD3's for just under a year but already the outer edges of the fronts are virtually gone go I'm looking for something with somewhat better wear characteristics for similar money.

Currently running 225/40's with 18" Redlines.

If anyone can comment on wear and grip characteristics of the following would appreciate your opinions:
- Toyo Proxes T1R
- Yoko Parada Spec 2
- Falken FK452
- Avon ZZ3, ZV3 or ZV5

Cheers.
Old 06 May 2009, 10:06 PM
chiefs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have your geo checked, as the tyre "should" wear evenly. Can't comment on your list, but I'm running Dunlop Maxx sports and I'm happy,
Old 07 May 2009, 01:21 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could be running too much toe-in and/or not enough negative camber.
How many miles?
My ZZ3's (same size) have been on for 18k and show no such signs.
I shall try Vredestein Sessanta's next.

JohnD
Old 07 May 2009, 03:38 PM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Default Its

Correect about your geo setup its got too much toe in which is a Prodrive setup characteristic you could soften it off but it could/might change the drive, not too much though.
I have the same tyres and problem with my 04 WRX just had the geo checked and it was out slightly on the passenger side but still gotta get tyres
The Falkens I wouldn't touch they tramlined like a bitch when I had them on the front and the grip was nowt to write home about, The Yoko's are good in the dry ok in the wet standing puddles tend to be 'hairy' to say the least at speed.
Toyos are soft good in dry and wet when new i.e good depth of tread get skittish when worn down will probably get less mileage compared to the goodyears depending on driving style.
The Avons no experience but from friends ive heard the ZZ3 go funny around the bead resulting in tyre mishape and air loss over a short period of time and they are noisy.
Hope this helps. Obviously depending on your budget there are quite a fw alternatives Goodyear Asym's and Vredstein are 2 good choices.
Old 07 May 2009, 04:20 PM
Paucatuman
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

[QUOTE=
- Toyo Proxes T1R
- Yoko Parada Spec 2
- Falken FK452
- Avon ZZ3, ZV3 or ZV5

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Haven't got direct experience of any of these but I have done all the thread reading homework recently and it seems to come down to budget. Falkens seem very well accepted at under £250 and the T1R's if you have some more to spend.

Another one to throw into the ring if you're on a budget is Cooper 2XS's. Cooper are the American company that bought Avon tyres some years ago. They are starting to market tyres in the UK under the Cooper name and all Avons will eventually be re branded so 'they' reckon.

I put a post on here a couple of weeks ago asking if anybody had any experience but no replies. Much surfing revealed nothing from the UK but quite a bit from the other side of the pond. They seem to be very well accepted as a budget performance tyre over there.

I have had a set of four fitted to my classic this afternoon 215 40 17 - £ 270 fitted. What made me go with them is that when they were launched in the US, Cooper offered a 45 day money back gaurantee if they didn't meet expectation!

Can't tell you anything else about them yet other than the fact they go round.

Cheers
Old 07 May 2009, 05:28 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by chiefs
I'd have your geo checked, as the tyre "should" wear evenly. Can't comment on your list, but I'm running Dunlop Maxx sports and I'm happy,
Geo was done in November last year mate (GRD fast road settings); I'm told the tyre won't wear evenly if you have a more aggressive setup, the edges tend to go first - it's a characteristic of certain settings - apparently the Prodrive settings do the same.

One of the guys on Surrey Scoobies reckons the sidewalls on the Eagle F1's are too soft and could be partly to blame for this and has suggested running slightly higher pressure.
Old 07 May 2009, 05:30 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by JohnD
You could be running too much toe-in and/or not enough negative camber.
How many miles?
My ZZ3's (same size) have been on for 18k and show no such signs.
I shall try Vredestein Sessanta's next.

JohnD
How did you find the Avons mate - I had some put on the wife's Seat Leon (not ZZ3's but ZV3's) and they've transformed the grip on the car in comparison to the Continentals it was running before - I was really impressed.
Old 07 May 2009, 05:41 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Cheers for everyone's comments thus far.
Have had a look at the Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA as well - looks like a well designed tyre, similar to the Yoko Parada and a similar price - I know a lot of people have talked them up on here, perhaps I'll give them a go...
Old 10 May 2009, 01:18 AM
madfiddler
Scooby Regular

Interesting to read - the outer edges on mine are virtually bald. Looking to get them changed next week. Unsure on what to get, but a lot of people keep saying Toyo to me.
Old 10 May 2009, 03:38 PM
l8_taa
Scooby Regular

I'm running F1's on my classic and they are the best all round tyres by far, good in the dry and the wet. Only down side is they have half the life.

Check out this site, it will help
Tyres For Subaru Impreza reviews - tyre reviews, ratings and road tests for all car, bike and trackday performance tyres
Old 10 May 2009, 03:42 PM
Sideways Ste
Scooby Regular

Got Pzeros on mine
Can't fault them...
Old 10 May 2009, 03:58 PM
stuart2088
Scooby Regular

I can recommend Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics although as with most things in life tyres are a matter of personal opinion and obviously constrained by budget.

The Goodyears i find much better all round compared to the factory fit Bridgestones particularly with regard to noise issues.

As far as "soft sidewalls" is concerned you can always go up a bit on the load rating which will give a stiffer sidewall.
Old 10 May 2009, 04:52 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

I've been through a set of Ultrac Sessantas .... brilliant .. especially in the wet with lots of corners

Currently on Goodyear Asymetrics .... probably just better than the Sessantas but noisier

Both are streets ahead of T1Rs ... but not as good a the RE070s in the dry

Evo magazine did a performance tyre test about 12-18mths ago and the Goodyear Asymetrics and Ultrac Sessantas were rated 1 and 2 respectively .. for good reason in my experience ...
Old 10 May 2009, 05:00 PM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

Right, I need new tyres also so having read this thread and others like it, it looks like the Eagle F1 Asymmetric are the best all round tyre to go for without spending more that 150 a corner.

BUT I CANT FIND THEM !! I have searched the net high and low! Im in Glasgow. Can anybody help...with the tyres that is not the fact that I live in Glasgow!!

CHeers

By the way, I used to run Prada spec 2's on my Clio 172 (205BHP) and they were incredible in the dry but needed to be carefull i the wet if you were pushing. I had great wear from them (20,000) on fronts with 2 track days and 25 from rears. They were fab. As teh Scooby is AWD though and I want great wet weather performance I would not have them.
Old 10 May 2009, 05:13 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

GOODYEAR TYRES / CAR / GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC - :: Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres ::

got mine delivered and then spent £30 getting them fitted, balanced etc
Old 10 May 2009, 06:24 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Guys, those of you who've run asymmetrics - any comments on wear?
I've heard Proxes wear quick and get skittish towards the end of their life.
As far as tramlining is concerned, if the tyres mean the steering is more communicative that isn't always a bad thing!
Old 10 May 2009, 08:01 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Donz144
Right, I need new tyres also so having read this thread and others like it, it looks like the Eagle F1 Asymmetric are the best all round tyre to go for without spending more that 150 a corner.

BUT I CANT FIND THEM !! I have searched the net high and low! Im in Glasgow. Can anybody help...with the tyres that is not the fact that I live in Glasgow!!

CHeers

By the way, I used to run Prada spec 2's on my Clio 172 (205BHP) and they were incredible in the dry but needed to be carefull i the wet if you were pushing. I had great wear from them (20,000) on fronts with 2 track days and 25 from rears. They were fab. As teh Scooby is AWD though and I want great wet weather performance I would not have them.
Check Camskill - they deliver at competitive prices
as per post #15

Last edited by cster; 10 May 2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11 May 2009, 10:04 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Interestingly, I spoke with my neighbour this eve as I generally get my tyres from him - he works for a wholesaler.

He said that Vredestein, apparently a Dutch company, have recently gone bust and that they're generally a winter tyre manufacturer and seemed a bit puzzled in my interest in the Sessentas.

He said his company have seen a massive surge in interest in Toyo T1Rs and the new PX5's (I think he said?) and Yoko Paradas. From what I've seen on some review sites too Goodyear Asymmetrics are massively popular but wear still seems an issue....
What to do??

This is what's happened to my F1's after just 10 months' wear (some spirited driving to be fair ):

Last edited by MrNoisy; 17 July 2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11 May 2009, 11:07 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Guys, those of you who've run asymmetrics - any comments on wear?
I've heard Proxes wear quick and get skittish towards the end of their life.
As far as tramlining is concerned, if the tyres mean the steering is more communicative that isn't always a bad thing!
They wear quickly - quicker than Sessantas and they also get VERY noisy towards the end of their life. Still an excellent tyre though
Old 11 May 2009, 12:23 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

You probably won't take me seriously on this one but I thought I'd have my two P's worth

I've tried allsorts of tyres over the years, Michellins, Dunlop Pirrelli and more recently Toyo T1S and R.

I got offered a set of Hankook Ventus Sports K104's for silly cheap money to try a couple of years back and they are without doubt the BEST tyre I have EVER had.

They had the best grip in all conditions, when they did eventually let go it was progressive rather than a sudden snap. I also got about 18K out of them. This was in a car with Circa 450bhp that didn't exactly have an easy life.

I shall soon be putting them on my 550 bhp STI V3 Type R when its finished.

They seem to be the best kept tyre secret at the moment.

Infact, if you buy some and you're not happy with them I'll buy them off you for what you paid for them providing they are the right size lol !!!

Last edited by dazdavies; 11 May 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11 May 2009, 01:30 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Infact, if you buy some and you're not happy with them I'll buy them off you for what you paid for them providing they are the right size lol !!!
I'll take you up on that.... what size tyres do you use...
Old 11 May 2009, 01:47 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

A quick search on the 'net brings up an interesting article...

2009 Auto Zeitung Summer Test reviews - tyre reviews, ratings and road tests for all car, bike and trackday performance tyres

Hmmmm I think I might just try these Hankooks....
Old 11 May 2009, 01:51 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

Default EVO Report

http://www.hampshiresubaru.co.uk/tyre-report.pdf

Although you might not have access .. so here is a summary of the results of the testing. Note ... this was in 2007.

Overall Results

1/ Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (c.£116) - 96.4/100
2/ Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (c.£100) - 95.3/100
3/ Continental Contisport Contact 3 (c.£125) - 93.5/100
4/ Bridgestone Protenza RE050-A (c.£123) - 92.7/100
5/ Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (c.£133) - 92.4/100
6/ Pirelli Pzero Nero (c.£130) - 92.0/100
7/ Kumho Ecsta STP (c.£89) - 88.7/100
8/ Dunlop Sport Maxx (c.£117) - 86.0/100
9/ Yokohama S.Drive (c.£106) - 82/100

Avon declined to take part and Toyo failed to get tyres to them in time.
Prices are av price for purchase incl fitting and VAT

Top 3 in wet - straight line

1/ Goodyear
2/ Vredestein
3/ Continental

Top 3 in wet - cornering

1/ Goodyear
2/ Vredestein
3/ Continental

Top 3 in wet - subjective driver assessment

1/ Vredestein
2/ Goodyear
3/ Continental

Top 3 aqua-planing - straight line

1/ Dunlop
2/ Bridgestone
3/ Continental

Top 3 aqua-planing - cornering

1/ Vredestein
2/ Bridgestone
3/ Goodyear

Top 3 braking - wet

1/ Goodyear
2/ Bridgestone
3/ Continental

Top 3 braking - dry

1/ Michelin
2/ Vredestein
3/ Bridgestone

Top 3 economy

1/ Yokohama
2/ Michelin
3/ Kumho

Top 3 dry - straight

1/ Goodyear
2/ Michelin
3/ Bridgestone

Top 3 dry - cornering

1/ Goodyear
2/ Michelin
3/ Bridgestone

Top 3 dry - subjective driver assessment

1/ Goodyear
2/ Bridgestone
3/ Pirelli

Top 3 road - subjective driver assessment

1/ Vredestein
2/ Dunlop
3/ Michelin
Old 11 May 2009, 01:56 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

I have not noticed any particular problems with wear on the Goodyear Asymetrics
Old 11 May 2009, 02:22 PM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

Ok so as it is proving so hard to find these F1 Asymmetrics I am going to stick with the Bridgestones 050's.....the reviews for them are actually very good and at the end of the day I am changing them just to see if there is any improvement. In reality my experience of them doesn't warrant a change.....they've been great and done 25k!

Great tyre thread though. nice one.
Old 11 May 2009, 02:38 PM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Hankook Ventus Sports K104's
Hiya Daz,

I had K104s on my first Impreza and they felt good back then, haven't used them since though. Well regarded for value within motor trade I think.

The 'kook RS2 is a great tyre for trackdays and sprints too, for very little money.

Andy
Old 11 May 2009, 03:15 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Also found this review too:
Test reports for summer car tyres Hankook - VENTUS SPORT K104

Slightly mixed reviews on the Hankooks if you read the reviews.
I think I'm either going to try the Vredensteins, Yoko Paradas or the Goodyear Asymmetrics.
One other surprise I've seen is Falken F452's...

Avons are reported to be very poor at wearing and have dodgy sidewalls according to several reviewers.
Old 11 May 2009, 03:22 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

I think the ones that are rated in the reviews are the Hankooks K110s and not the K104s....

http://www.tyretest.com/pkw_sommerre...evo/index.html

I'll be trying the K110s as they're the only ones I can find in my size....

edit.... just spotted this too....

http://www.tirereview.com/default.as...ext&item=11256

Last edited by Luther; 11 May 2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11 May 2009, 11:42 PM
carlito
Scooby Regular

I could do with some advice also guy's!

Got a P1 with the 18" Prodrive wheels on and 225/35/18 Bridgestone SO3 tyres on.

I've just recently bought the car and the front tyres are pretty shot on the inner edges anddown to the wear limiters.

The car tramlines like hell at the moment but I'm putting this down to the tyres being on their last legs...would this be right??

I've been offered a set of the old Goodyear GSD3's left over from my regular supplier for a cracking price of £440 fitted and balanced inc VAT.

I'm very tempted to go for this deal as it's obviously a great price but don't know if I should just bite the bullet cost wise and go for a set of the Eagle Aysim's that seem to be so well rated at the mo.

My driving style is pretty conservative with the odd A/B road blast once in a while, would I be ok on the wear side as It seems this is an issue with both the old GSD3's and Aysim's?

The car's running the standard P1 suspension setup without any mods.

Would like to hear from anyone with a classic preferably a P1 onthe same wheels and what tyres they found to be the best.

Sorry for the long hijack, but really could do with the advice as need to change the tyres desperatly due to wear.

thanks all.
Old 12 May 2009, 06:39 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

The tramlining may be down to a combination of the tyres and geometry depending on your settings.
I wouldn't have the GSD3's again - I've had the exact same problem as you - too much wear on the edges because of a weak sidewall.
BTW £440 fitted for Eagle F1 GSD3's isn't all that great a price. I can get them locally fitted for less than £100 per corner. If you're Surrey / Berks way PM me and I'll give you the location.

Quick Reply: Replacing my Eagle F1's - which tyres to buy?