Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Trackdays....Toe / Camber / Castor

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2008, 03:21 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Trackdays....Toe / Camber / Castor

Just wondering if any of you guys deliberately run any of the above (ie Toe / Camber / Castor ) at any angle other than dead straight/dead centre, if you know what I mean.
I guess the downside may be increased or uneven tyre wear, but if you get a faster lap so what.

Any comments appreciated, thx.
MY98 JDM - original suspension, albeit WRX Type R V-Ltd, (non STI)
Old 24 December 2008, 03:30 PM
Jeem
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told to put more camber when on a dry track and less in the wet. My coilovers adjustable top mounts when set at 0 have been set to factory camber setting. Leaving adjustment to put more on in the dry

Last edited by Jeem; 05 January 2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: had been drinking didnt finish typing
Old 24 December 2008, 08:26 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I run 2degs negative camber all round, whether I am on on road or on track.
Old 25 December 2008, 08:48 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

The optimum camber will never be 0 deg. Factory setting is something like -1 deg and optimum handling (at the expense of some increased tyre wear on inner edges) will be -2 deg. And before you ask those numbers are not the right ones they're chosen for example only. No doubt this is a compromise for wet / dry as nobody except the WRC boys will take a full 4 wheel alignment kit when they go to the track and as soon as you change camber you need to reset tracking.

The optimum castor will again not be 0 deg. Factory setting will be something like -3 deg and optimum handling a bit more neg. Again not real numbers just an example.

The optimum toe in will once more not be straight ahead. As the car takes up drive all the bushes on the front suspension flex a little and the wheel moves either back or forward depending on fwd, rwd, 4wd. To get it in the optimum position when driving you dial in some initial angle when parked. For a road car nearly always a fraction of a degree of toe in, say 0.3 deg toe in.

For track use there are many tricks. Some real, some no doubt imaginary but all a comromise. For example in the wet karts run toe out as the tyre scrubbing puts more heat into the tyres so they perform better. For track use in a Caterham some run toe out as it makes it a bit unstable so it turns in better, the better turn in means better lap times even though it's worse on the straight.
Old 28 December 2008, 10:15 PM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Mmm, sounds like quite a technical area, with no one "this is best", but rather a whole minefield of tradeoffs.

When I bought 4 new road tyres, the tyre place "did the tracking" at the same time.
I wonder what angles they used, I presumed everything would be zero deg, but it appears "factory standard" may be somewhat different.

Toe looks like a nasty compromise, must be quite strange having an unstable car at high speed down a long straight ???
Old 05 January 2009, 10:18 PM
SPEED RACING CLUB
Scooby Regular

im use for track rear -2,5 front -3.5 camber , 5 caster with alk ,and 0,5 toe
Old 06 January 2009, 01:34 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jeem
I was told to put more camber when on a dry track and less in the wet. My coilovers adjustable top mounts when set at 0 have been set to factory camber setting. Leaving adjustment to put more on in the dry
Its never as simple as that.

you move the camber and the tracking alters hence the need for alignment every time its moved.