Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2008, 09:42 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to get Tyres, Disks & Pads

Guys.

I have WRX 02.

MOT is coming up in the next two week, and I know i need to get Tyres and Pads all round. Fairly sure i need to get disks as well - I was told i would need new disks soon when i had the car last serviced.

I'm looking for recommendations on all of the above, I really dont and cant afford to spend mega bucks.

Currently my tyres are Toyo Proxes TR1 and my pads are EBC Redstuff. The disks are standard and have not been replaced since the car was brand new. I got the tyres from myTyres.co.uk and the pads from EBCdirect (or similiar website)

So I am looking for recommendation on the cheapest equivalent of the above and where to get them from. Is eBay worth a look ?

Thanks in advance

M
Old 16 November 2008, 09:50 AM
DB07P1
Scooby Regular

for tyres have a look at falken tyres i payed £150 for the two front tyres plus fitting and mine are really low profiles...otherwise i was looking at double that,and they have had really good views...yours might not be the same size but im sure you will get a good deal
heres the link
Falken FK452 reviews - tyre reviews, ratings and road tests for all car, bike and trackday performance tyres
Old 16 November 2008, 10:26 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Cheers.

I'll take a look at them Falkens.

Is there a sure-fire way of me knowing if I need new disks or not - ideally without taking the wheel off.

Thanks
Old 16 November 2008, 07:26 PM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by molko
Cheers.

I'll take a look at them Falkens.

Is there a sure-fire way of me knowing if I need new disks or not - ideally without taking the wheel off.

Thanks
yes,are you getting any vibration from the brakes,a sure sign of warped disks,also heavy scoring on the disks will reduce effectivness as well as a large lip round the outside of the disk is a sign of excessive wear.Phone ian godney at godspeed brakes,hes the man for subaru brakes at sensible prices for all budgets...
Old 17 November 2008, 02:43 PM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

I've just shod my MY00 with Toyo T1R's and am less than impressed! Changed from Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's (205/50 16), which were the dogs, in the hope of getting a quieter ride. Although road noise is fractionally quieter, and the grip is very similar, the handling is very 'woolley' in comparison. £59 each from blackcircles.com and £13 a corner for fitting. Eagle F1's can be had for around £84 a corner fitted- and HIGHLY recommended! Never tried Falken, but will going back to the F1's when the Toyo's wear out...

As Andrew J says re the disks.
Old 17 November 2008, 02:45 PM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

PS I'd stay clear of fleabay for brake parts- unless it's a known dealer!!
Old 18 November 2008, 01:04 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Slimnotshady,

Won't be long before you are back on F1's then if my experience anything to go by.

Fitted GSD3 to wifes Scoob last year, same week fitted Toyo T1R's to mine. Suspension and alignment checked on both cars OK. Both MY97 classics running 16 inch rims and 4pot calipers. Wet and dry handling is excellent on both tyres, noise is similar.

Less than 10,000 miles later the Toyos are showing distinct signs of wear, especially on the shoulders which are nearly bald. F1's still look like new on similar mileage. Tyre presures are checked religiously every week and are 33psi front, 28psi rear. Wife treats hers as badly as I do mine, on fen roads and no rush hours to deal with.

Impressed with the Toyo's ability to match the grip of the F1's wet and dry but wholly unimpressed with the wear. Value for money the F1's are streets ahead as they are going to last twice as long for a few extra quid.

Mind you, have used F1's before and found that as they get low on tread they suddenly "go off" in the wet.

Not tried Falkens recently, but have found they make grippy budget tyres in the past.
Old 18 November 2008, 01:05 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Try AS Performance and Godspeed Brakes.... Both highly respected 'round here...
Old 18 November 2008, 10:47 PM
iainmcknz
Scooby Newbie

Got my Yokohama Parada Spec 2's from Cheap Tyres Discount Tyres & Japanese Import Car Parts Spares Tuning Performance ::
Took 2 days to get to north east Scotland.
They were about £20 cheaper than anywhere in town with FREE Delivery.
Old 18 November 2008, 11:12 PM
Juice
Scooby Regular

my girlfriends got Falkens all round and it sticks to the road really good, im very impressed with them on her car even at very high spirited driving

im also very impressed with her brakes (they're just uprated pads) - they are Endless racing SSS pads front and rear on standard discs, no squeals or loud noises when braking but boy do they slow you down, i drive her car hard when i get the chance as she will probably mention and i havent expereinced any fade what so ever, price wise they cost £125 for front and £125 for rear from envy performance - ive spoken to gaz about a group buy for you guys on SN and hes up for it, he would give 15% off front and rear plus postage with more then 5 people buying and he will give 20% off for more then 10 people buying plus postage.

Im defo down for a set if any one else is interested pm me , ill post this up in the GB section too