Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear Brembo conversion on classic

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2008, 10:21 AM
Devious
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brembo conversion on classic

Just got myself a full set of Brembos off a Bug STI....
Trying to fit on a 2000 classic
Fronts go straight on.. lovely.. What about rears? Can i use the rear hubs off the newage to fit the bigger rear discs (300mm ish) ive seen the spacers on ebay etc. but dont think they big enough to fit the discs i got.
Also heard about hand brake issues?
so do i need other discs? can i fit the hubs and bolt straight on? whats the next stage?

Any light being shed on the matter would be great...
Old 02 November 2008, 11:30 AM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devious
Just got myself a full set of Brembos off a Bug STI....
Trying to fit on a 2000 classic
Fronts go straight on.. lovely.. What about rears? Can i use the rear hubs off the newage to fit the bigger rear discs (300mm ish) ive seen the spacers on ebay etc. but dont think they big enough to fit the discs i got.
Also heard about hand brake issues?
so do i need other discs? can i fit the hubs and bolt straight on? whats the next stage?

Any light being shed on the matter would be great...
you will need a adapter bracket to fit the calliper to your existing hub,and new bigger disks aswell as a adaption to the handbrake to fit.Phone ian godney at godspeed brakes,he is very helpfull and will have all parts in stock that you require.Go to the godspeed website,and a general outline of whats needed will be there...
Old 02 November 2008, 11:46 AM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

There is mountains of info on this subject on this site, I had a good look through it before converting mine a few weeks back

I guess you could go the hub route, but this would disturb the geometry settings and imo, be a lot of work but could work out the cheaper route depending on how much you get the hubs for and if you do your own work.

Use this kit to fit the larger discs to your classic hubs. The only things you'll need to do then are remove and replace the old handbrake shoes (easy really, just take pics or do one side at a time to 'copy' the position of parts. Drill a few spot welds out on each of the disc sheilds (ten minutes a side if that), bit of hammerite paint to paint over the exposed metal to prevent rusting and a spot of brake bleeding at the end.

Awkward/time consuming bit was adjusting the handbrake shoes as you need to get to the back of the disc/hub assy and use a screwdriver to lever a splined wheel around to 'push out the shoes' so they come into contact with the disc hub after only a few click on the handbrake lever, rather than pulling the handbrake through the roof

I did this by applying the handbrake from 'off', three to four click up, then left it. Under the car, locate the rubber bung in the back of the hub at the bottom, use a torch and you'll see the toothed wheel, use a screwdriver to lever the wheel 'upwards' (I think) which expands the adjuster and pushes the brake shoes outwards. Keep going until it gets tight, then do the other side. Spinning the wheel should be hard (you have to fight the diffs etc) but releasing the handbrake should make things easier. If it does, re apply the handbrake and it should tighten up nicely within a few click. Exercise it a bit, and re adjust as necessary.

Looks good, easy mod imo, and a definate improvement if you already have uprated front brakes as I feel the balance is restored

There are a couple of oldish threads on here with 'how to' and a few pics of what's going on.
Old 02 November 2008, 11:58 AM
Devious
Scooby Regular

NUTTYNICK are you saying the hubs will fit on? cause i ready have the rear hubs.. and i do all my own work... in that case swap hubs, attach handbrake cable etc.and its done??
Old 02 November 2008, 12:47 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

NUTTYNICK are you saying the hubs will fit on? cause i ready have the rear hubs.. and i do all my own work... in that case swap hubs, attach handbrake cable etc.and its done??
Unfortunately, I'm not that sure on if they will fit or not. They may fit to the suspension strut and links but occasionally on cars, the splined end of the drive shaft may differ.

I reckon a quick search may throw something up, I'll have a look about

As I said though, the rear geometry will be thrown out quite wildly and would benefit from a set up afterwards. If this is on your list of things to do anyhow, then no loss.
Old 02 November 2008, 12:52 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

As you have a late model classic, then I think the chances of them fitting are better.
Old 02 November 2008, 01:15 PM
Devious
Scooby Regular

would the fact i have the full set of drive shafts too help? as i bought the 6 speed box etc from the car too?
Old 02 November 2008, 01:27 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

To use the hubs you also need to change the drive shafts and the larger R180 diff as these drive shafts are thicker and will not fit your current diff.

Banny
Old 02 November 2008, 01:49 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

would the fact i have the full set of drive shafts too help? as i bought the 6 speed box etc from the car too?
Well in that case, I guess you are planning on changing the gearbox over so it would seem the best thing to do is change the hubs over completely
Old 02 November 2008, 03:41 PM
Devious
Scooby Regular

was told when doing the 6 speed conversion, you dont need the rear diff? you use the uk diff? correct? as i still have the 6 speed diff to.