Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Wheel stud problem

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2008, 04:13 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel stud problem

one of my wheel studs at the back has a knackared thread about 2mm in from where the wheel nut bites.I just wondered if there is anyway i can recut the thread or get a nut on there without getting the stud replaced as its a PITA.Is there any kind of tool that you can fit halfway down the thread and wind back cutting a new one?

any help appreciated
Old 05 June 2008, 05:54 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

If you're only losing four or five mm, then I'd be inclined just to cut it off square with a hacksaw. The remaining good nuts, plus what's being held with the shortened stud, should be fine, at least until you replace the discs when the stud can be replaced at the same time.
Old 06 June 2008, 03:14 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Default damaged stud

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
one of my wheel studs at the back has a knackared thread about 2mm in from where the wheel nut bites.I just wondered if there is anyway i can recut the thread or get a nut on there without getting the stud replaced as its a PITA.Is there any kind of tool that you can fit halfway down the thread and wind back cutting a new one?

any help appreciated
You can get a split die and rethread the stud, however they are not cheap. If the damage is just in one spot then you could file it out on that part of the stud, the problem with cutting the stud shorter if not done properly you may end up getting the wheel bolt for that stud cross threaded especially if a tyre fitter gets a bit trigger happy with a wheel gun and when you come to take it off it will shear.

IMHO changing a stud on scooby is easy and does not take that long.