Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Excessive red/ yellow stuff trackday pad wear - MY05 WrX

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2007, 12:24 PM
burgesi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive red/ yellow stuff trackday pad wear - MY05 WrX

My MY05 WRX Wagon has been upgraded by Litchfield to 272bhp and I have fitted EBC turbo groved front discs and braided hoses. I still have the standard 2-pot front callipers.

I previously had Red Stuff on the front and ran them on the road and at Silverstone and Castle Coombe with no problem and they were better than the OEMs.

I have just fitted Eibach progressive rate springs on the front and renewed the Red Stuff front pads.

They lasted only half a day at a trackday at Brands Hatch a week ago and the braking was very soft.

I replaced them with Yellow stuff for a trackday last weekend at Bedford, but these did not last the whole day either.

1. Was the lack of performance from the pads because I did not have a chance to bed them in enough?
2. Would changing to Ferrodo DS2500 make a difference over the red/ yellow stuff (I have looked at a lot of threads and guys seem to recommend them)?
3. Should I just bite the bullet and get 4-pot callipers - If so are the AP racing ones the best?

Thanks in advance

Ian
Old 26 November 2007, 01:25 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

On the road, my red stuff pads running with ebc grooved/dimple discs lasted just 6000 miles. It was in a near standard sti 4 and I have yet to go through a set of brakes on any other impreza.
The discs were also warped. EBC is ****e, I don't care what anyone says.
Can you do better than EBC? YES YOU CAN, WITH EASE!
Old 27 November 2007, 11:47 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

My last set of Yellowstuff'R' pads lasted over 20k miles inc a bit of track work.

Didn't think to much about the discs though and think you can do better for the money.

Redstuff were terrible and did around 6k miles iirc.

MY05 has 4 pots anyhow.

A proper AP kit would be a massive improvement. Not cheap though.
Old 02 December 2007, 10:44 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some decent f*ckin brakes!
You've got a few extra horses, so it makes sense.
As everyone can see the calipers through the wheels, it looks good as well.
Just my opinion though.
Old 03 December 2007, 10:40 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
On the road, my red stuff pads running with ebc grooved/dimple discs lasted just 6000 miles. It was in a near standard sti 4 and I have yet to go through a set of brakes on any other impreza.
The discs were also warped. EBC is ****e, I don't care what anyone says.
Can you do better than EBC? YES YOU CAN, WITH EASE!
I can only echo this.

Although the I've not seen a warped set of TGDs, but the noise they make puts off passengers when braking hard anyway.

EBC are fairly cheap products - considering their aimed market. I suspect there is a reason for this.....

Or maybe not: My last scoob (with 2 pots) ended up having EBCs swapped for some Unipart pads, which although took a fair bit of bedding in, ended up working and feeling far better and appeared to wear better too. However, I wouldn't use them on track days.
Old 09 December 2007, 06:17 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I found the EBC disks not too bad but the red stuffs are terrible. Mine lasted around 5000 miles on the road. Never tried yellow stuff.
Old 21 December 2007, 11:43 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Seriously, the only way to get decent braking on a WRX is to upgrade the front calipers/disc's. You will not believe the difference something like AP's will make. I have AP 4pots/330 disc's/DS2500 and they're awesome..!

Admittedly, for the track a harder pad may be required, but IMHO I think that's down to driver style.

BTW my 05 wrx is very close to 350 with T25 suspension, however the brakes were the biggest improvement, even though they were the most £££..!

The Stopteck kit from Zen is another worth considering, just don't be suckered into buying too big/6-10pots as they aren't necessary better, they are certainly heavier though..!
Old 28 December 2007, 10:06 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Ebc Yellow stuff are the only pads to make my AP 6 pots perform poorly they are total and utter pony!!