Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Buckled Superleggerras Anyone

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 08:27 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I was hoping to get some feedback on whether or not any of you Superleggerra owners have experienced any buckling problems with these wheels. I have 17s and the front passenger side wheel has buckled resulting in serious wear on the edge of the tread. I did not hit any serious pothole and there is no bulb or sign of damage to the tyre. I know of at least one posting on this topic a few months ago and wanted some amunition before going back to the dealer to get a new wheel and then possibly TWO new tyres at least! These wheels are meant to be the lightest on the market but one wonders if strength has been compromised somewhat. Anyone?

Thanks

Jerome
Old 08 January 2002, 09:32 AM
Sigmund
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I read that thread too and I think it was at least 2 other people who had gotten dents or buckles in their Superleggeras.

I had thought about buying Superleggeras too for their light weight but it seems like OZ has outdone themselves with those wheels. They can't take normal driving on normal roads and that just don't cut it for such an expensive wheel.

I went for another set of compomotives. They are heavy, yes. But it is for a reason. They won't buckle. At all. The Superleggeras are fine for glass-flat paved roads but I don't know anyone who drives on that all the time.

Road wheels should take the abouse of normal driving on normal roads, shame on OZ. Hope you get new wheels and tyres.
Old 08 January 2002, 10:03 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Red face

You've got me worried now. Have to go and get mine balanced and make sure they are OK. I've hit a few potholes at high speed, enough to knock the tracking out. Last thing I need is to have to fork out for a new set of wheels.

DaveW
Old 09 January 2002, 01:46 PM
Andy Burrell
Scooby Regular

I have had mine on for 12,000 miles, lots of country roads, some farm tracks, even a jump at high speed getting all 4 wheels off the floor. I am running Toyo's and they are fine.
Old 09 January 2002, 02:50 PM
Steve Clements
Scooby Regular

Had mine for about 5 months. No problems so far!
Old 09 January 2002, 05:33 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

No probs with mine so far either......

Nick..
Old 09 January 2002, 09:08 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well Gents, it must be just me......as usual! Just another addition to the list of Impreza woes - New clutch (warranty), new gearbox (rejected under warranty but still in negotiation). Goes in for 22K miles service tomorrow and I spotted some oil droplets in the coolant top-up pipe which required topping up and that is a concern.

Unfortunately I seem to have imported a real "pup" from Holland and am now really paying for it.

Moan over

Jerome (MY00Dog)
Old 10 January 2002, 05:10 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mine have been on for about 3 months (4000 miles) with Toyos, no trouble at all to date.

Simon.