Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Scoobysport/Burnt Mills Tyres nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 03:41 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Last wednesday, i went to Scoobysport to pick up two new Toyo Proxes to replace the SO1's on the rear of my Scoob.
Upon their recommendation, i went over to nearby Burnt Mills Tyres to have them fitted. While i was there, i asked for the front wheels to be balanced too.

As anyone who knows my car will know, it's in absolutely top condition, wheels included, which had been WaxWizarded back and front by myself. Needless to say, i knew the condition of my wheels "intimately".

When the wheels were re-fitted to my car, it was clear that three of the rims had been scratched, two badly, right through the lacquer and primer to bare alloy. When i mentioned this, the fitter acknowledged that his machine could have caused it, but inferred that it wasn't serious and what was i worrying about.

Seething, i returned to Scoobysport immediately. They told me this had never happened to anyone before, but would talk to Burnt Mills Tyres. Two days later, i returned in daylight to show BMT the damage. After a long lecture about how their machines don't cause rim damage, and that wheel balancing couldn't possibly touch the rims, i was left to complain again to Scoobysport.

Scoobysport's bottom line was and is that i will have to take any further action against BMT myself. Of course, we all know i haven't got a chance in hell of getting anything out of them once they've denied any responsibility, let alone not having the time and/or inclination. Needless to say, i am furious that, in effect, i am being called a liar about the prior condition of my wheels.

All i can realistically do is warn others about Burnt Mills Tyres, based on my experience. If you do go there, on Scoobysport's recommendation or not, my advice would be to take 30 seconds to go round the car with the fitter to agree what marks there are on your wheels beforehand. Because once you've got a set of damaged wheels after the event, there's nothing you can do about it, and they know it, "reputable" company or not. Please don't let this happen to you.

Terry
Old 07 January 2002, 04:31 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Learnt this lesson years ago to my substantial cost

I now do exactlty as you recomend

Must admit to being surprised That it was Burnt Mill Tyres as we use them for all our cars / lorrys without problems
Except mine who I entrust only to Jet wheels of Benfleet
They treat them with real care and do not let apprentices or an air gun anywhere near them

Phil