Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre valve spewing out air - help!

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2007, 11:15 AM
scg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre valve spewing out air - help!

On 2 of my wheels as soon I take the valve caps off air spews out of the vavles. This is a right pain as when I put air in the tyres it's very hard to get the valve caps back on and by the time I have all the air that I've put in has just made it's way back out again Also if some ****** decides to steal my valve caps I'm going to be screwed.

How easy are these to replace? It's on Prodrive OZ wheels - pic attached. I've phone my local tyre & wheel place but they reckon they can only sort out the plastic / rubber valves not ones with metal casing.

Parts needed from dealers or should other tyre /wheel places be able to sort?

Old 08 September 2007, 11:25 AM
amego
Scooby Regular

there wont be a prob using rubber valves thay will remove tyre to replace valve
Old 08 September 2007, 11:33 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

The actual valve bit screws into both the rubber and the metal fittings. It's long and thin with a springy bit and a seal bit on the end. When they remove old tyres the first thing they do is unscrew this with short, thin special tool (just a tube that fits over the valve with a notch out of the end to fit over the valve innards). This lets the air out (as you've found).

You can replace the valve bit without taking the tyres off or even touching the metal bit screwed into your wheel. Any half reputable tyre place would know how to do this, should cost about a quid. I think halfords sell them four in one of those pick and mix plastic pouches where they sell you two fuses or a bolt for a fiver. But then you'd need the fitting tool too, another couple of quid, as it's really small and far too thin even for long nosed pliers.

Of course the metal sleeve screwed into the wheel may be damaged in which case this won't help and the tyre will have to come off to replace it but unlikely. Again a decent (ie not Kwik fit) tyre place will be able to help.