Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

White Wall Tyre Writing

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2001, 12:04 PM
The Maive
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

Like everyone I wish I had the £1200 to buy some new 17" Oz S'legs in Gold but I cant so I had an idea.

I always thought tyres with writing on American style meant you bought them that way but I recently found a little pen which you can do it yourself with.

As I only have 16" gold wheels which are ok I think ( Personally ) that if I whited out the Bridgestone Potenza on the wheels it would look pretty cool.

Any comments on what you guys think to this would be appreciated.

Cheers

The Maive
Old 28 December 2001, 12:11 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt ( it looks sad )
Old 28 December 2001, 01:21 PM
The Maive
Scooby Regular

Matt,

Opinions are very welcome, in what way does it look sad? Have you seen it on a Subaru or on a local boy racers AX GT with a clip on big bore with the pea shooter sticking out?

I seen this white scooby turbo in the North West with either Goodyear or Michelen tyres whited out and it looked sound. More than anything it looked different which is always nice.

Anyone elses thoughts would be great.

The Maive
Old 28 December 2001, 01:29 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I have to agree with Matt - it's Dukes of Hazzard or Fast **** Nova boy only.....on the other hand it's your car, do it, post the pics, and give us a larf

[Edited by Dave T-S - 12/28/2001 1:29:46 PM]
Old 28 December 2001, 01:36 PM
toby69
Scooby Regular

Hi well I added the white writing on my Good Year F1's just to see how it looked. Personaly I think it looks ok. I posted a picture on the members gallery under "My red WRX" which was last replied to on the 23/12/01 Have a look see what you think
Old 28 December 2001, 02:52 PM
The Maive
Scooby Regular

Toby,

Firstly Thanks for the positive comment. I have just checked out your pictures and your car looks the business, youve done a great job.

Personally I think the tyres look great, very unique and I reckon it does add to the aggressive nature and looks of the Subaru. As I said before it looks different, there are a few Subarus round ours and they all look great but ultimatley look the same.

It seems from the comments you had on your post that there arent too many people in favour of tyre writing, however I do intend to write on the tyres, in fact Dave T S has just motivated me to get my **** in to gear and do it this very weekend. If my mate at work will lend me his digital camera I'll get some shots done and get them posted and Dave can have his little giggle.

Dave 2 things,
Dukes of Hazzard was well before my time, showing your age my son.

I cant imagine anyone looking at a Subaru and having a laugh no matter whats on it, even furry dice. I think most people would still appreciate what a fine car it is. Have you got a 22B?
Old 28 December 2001, 03:12 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

"I cant imagine anyone looking at a Subaru and having a laugh no matter whats on it, even furry dice. I think most people would still appreciate what a fine car it is."

You obvioulsly missed the thread about the purple Scooby at Trax mate!

I wouldn't bother with the white paint idea myself but who am I to speak, I made a triangular 'barge-board' for my racing push-bike, fitted it in the frame, painted it all red and applied Agip, Fiat and Scuderia Ferrari stickers to it! errr when I was 13!

It didn't help me deliver the newspapers much quicker though and was downright dangerous in high winds!
Old 28 December 2001, 04:18 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I saw a car with 'white writing' on the tyres once. However, the guy had four different tyres, and they were all crap ones. Instead of 'Goodyear -- Eagle F1', 'Pirelli PZero Asymmetrico' etc. he had whited out 'Kumho', 'Champiro', etc.

PS: Isn't 'Goodyear' writing on the sidewalls supposed to be yellow?

[Edited by carl - 12/28/2001 4:19:18 PM]
Old 28 December 2001, 10:27 PM
The Maive
Scooby Regular

It may not be everyones taste but I can assure you the tyres are Bridgestones and not tyres from Cost Co. Im not knocking Cost Co though, top place that, especially those Spa's they sell, one of those in the garden would be quality.
Old 28 December 2001, 11:21 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You've obviously made up your mind that you want to do it, so do it!

Even if you had 100 people telling you not to do it, you'd do it anyway! So go ahead! It will certainly be an attention grabber!

I've done a few things to my car that has given me stick, but I wanted to do them so I did them!

Cheers
Andy

Ps - Not my cup of tea, which is my personal opinion and not a dig!
Old 29 December 2001, 08:45 AM
pob on the job
Scooby Regular

Talking

It's your car, do what you want. Personaly I wouldn't do it, I think it is the ultimate in tackyness. I've got a big exhaust and some people think the same about that (albeit not 99% of the scooby frat.)
Post some pics when you've done it!
Old 29 December 2001, 09:18 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Maive
My reply was tongue in cheek, but my reaction to these sort of posts is always, it's your car/money, you should do what YOU want and sod everybody else (after all, my car has pimp tints - see below ).

Oh, and re the Dukes of Hazzard, you are spot on, I am an old fart (but you missed out on a treat with Daisy Duke )

Old 29 December 2001, 06:36 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Maive
I've been thinking about this, and decided it might look quite good after all, so tried it on both our WRX's this afternoon.....

PS - It's only a leg pull, so please take it as such, as I said I am the arbiter of bad taste so my opinions don't count.....

Old 29 December 2001, 08:42 PM
The Maive
Scooby Regular

Dave,

All that scribbling on your tyres you've done shows you have gone to a lot of trouble to talk me out of doing this, were the A Team and Knight Rider reruns not on satellite this afternoon or something??????

It seems the idea is not so popular, so I think its a big knock on the head for that one, my girlfriend will be pleased now when I let her know 17" wheels are on the horizon and the honeymoon is skeggy. Cheers.

Maive.

Old 29 December 2001, 09:41 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Maive
Rest assured the scribbling took all of ten seconds (actually, it's my bestest handwriting ).

Skeggy is nice this time of year........

Old 30 December 2001, 01:41 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave,

What's up with the paint on Carolyn's car??? and what's happened to your AP disks? Not been getting enough "proper" use m8???

Matt
Old 30 December 2001, 09:19 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Cool

Matt
Carolyn's car is quite simply dirty, and I washed mine and put it back in the garage (which is why Carolyn's is dirty ), so the AP's are rusty
Old 31 December 2001, 12:22 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

heh