Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Track Day Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2007, 05:11 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track Day Tyres

Has anyone used lots of different types of track day tyres.

I currently use Toyo R 888's which are good in the dry and damp, they warm up quick, but go off quite quickly when pushing hard, (3-5 laps)

A recent trip to the ring, and i could'nt do 2 consecutive laps.

I noticed a lot of the cars there were using Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.

I need to buy a set of dry/track tyres soon, and a new set of 17's for road use (was thinking of a cut dry tyre)

I don't want a slagging match between peoples opinions, just what people have personally found in different conditions.

cheers
Dill
Old 24 May 2007, 09:50 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dill_typeR
Has anyone used lots of different types of track day tyres.

I currently use Toyo R 888's which are good in the dry and damp, they warm up quick, but go off quite quickly when pushing hard, (3-5 laps)

A recent trip to the ring, and i could'nt do 2 consecutive laps.

I noticed a lot of the cars there were using Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.

I need to buy a set of dry/track tyres soon, and a new set of 17's for road use (was thinking of a cut dry tyre)

I don't want a slagging match between peoples opinions, just what people have personally found in different conditions.

cheers
Dill
Hi Dill,

I ran the Toyo R888's and like you found they had great grip but would go off after 15mins of track time.
I haven't noticed this with the Silverstone tyres, although i think the wear rates might be a little lower. But i did like them and will have more feed back after SSO and the next TA round.

Mike
Old 24 May 2007, 09:52 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Michelin Pilot Sports are a superb (expensive) road tyre. Cups are a track tyre.

I would love a set of either, or both, but last time I checked they were not availble in Classic Scoob friendly sizes
Old 25 May 2007, 09:59 PM
AlexT
Scooby Regular

Yokohama 048's win everytime.

Found around 3 secs a lap quicker around Donnington Park in the dry but they are a little sketchy initially when cold.

I'd say they perform better than 888's in the damp/wet due to being a little softer.

Don't tend to go off as such whilst driving hard and the side walls are very stiff but after around 6 months if you still have wear left then you'll find the rubber won't be as grippy.
Old 28 May 2007, 10:21 AM
Maccers
Scooby Regular

I was at Brands Hatch on Thursday for an all day open pitlane trackday.I have done 4 days now (two Goodwood, two Brands) on Pirelli Assimetrico tyres - which were great in the wet, but have almost melted on Thursday in the heat at Brands. They went off very quickly to the point where the car was black flagged for tyre squealing!

I have 17" prodrive wheels, and want to buy a set of standard 15" subaru wheels off ebay or something, and put Yokohama A005 slicks on them, so to have a track day set of wheels/tyres. I'll probably get another set of Pirellis for the 17" road going tyres, and also use them if the track day is wet.

Car is W reg UK Turbo 2000 with no mods.

Has anyone else had similar ideas?
Old 28 May 2007, 01:05 PM
RA-grant
Scooby Regular

hi,i run a stripped sti ra for trackday on dunlop d01j than are now obsolete but some companies do still have stock to fit 16's and are cheap due to last few.

i have found these tyres to be excellent in both wet and dry, very predictable, easy last several hard 20 lap bursts of brands and do not take long to warm.

not trying to teach you to suck eggs but are your tyre pressures corrected for track use ie set to approx 30psi hot because road tyre pressure would see around 40psi hot when used on track causing noise and lack of grip ?
Old 29 May 2007, 11:27 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by Maccers
I was at Brands Hatch on Thursday for an all day open pitlane trackday.I have done 4 days now (two Goodwood, two Brands) on Pirelli Assimetrico tyres - which were great in the wet, but have almost melted on Thursday in the heat at Brands. They went off very quickly to the point where the car was black flagged for tyre squealing!

I have 17" prodrive wheels, and want to buy a set of standard 15" subaru wheels off ebay or something, and put Yokohama A005 slicks on them, so to have a track day set of wheels/tyres. I'll probably get another set of Pirellis for the 17" road going tyres, and also use them if the track day is wet.

Car is W reg UK Turbo 2000 with no mods.

Has anyone else had similar ideas?
The 15" Subaru wheels won't fit over your OE 4 pots, so don't try that idea!

Trending Topics

Old 29 May 2007, 03:50 PM
Maccers
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, I checked the pressures throughout the day and they never got over 36, fronts, I guess that may be a tad high.

15" wheels - thanks for the heads up, I will look at 16's. I have been advised by a tyre company that Yokohama A005's on a Scooby will wear down too fast, due to the heavy weight of the car.

Am getting car into PowerStation for some suspension mods, so hopefully they can advise.