Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Pad change

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2007, 09:30 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pad change

Changed my 4 Pot brake pads today. What a nightmare, The garage or whoever changed them before never used any grease on the pins meaning that the were nearly welded to the caliper body. 4 hours later and lots of hammering the car is now stopping on a dime and all that squeeling and grinding has gone. Amazing how much difference a new set of pads can make.

For the love of god, if you change your own pads - replace the pins, rattle plate and shims and smear with copper grease to make everything easy next time round!!

P.S. im now an expert on changing pads and discs
Old 10 April 2007, 08:24 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

I dismantle and clean mine every 6 months so dust doesn't jam everything up. Worth investing in proper punch to do pins, reverse impact hammer to extract pads, and piston spreader to make the job well quick and easy. All available from Machine Mart mail order.
Old 10 April 2007, 10:02 AM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Excellent ill order that stuff next time. In the end i used a sawn off screwdriver and hammered from the back... plenty of WD40 carefully sprayed on the pins later and the glazed messy pads were out.

Another question. The back end of my calipers are very rusty. I want to clean and paint these. Ive got a stiff wire brush but apart from hacking away with this is there a prefered method to getting all the crud off and caliper ready for paint?

Question 2. The Subaru logo is embossed on the front calipers but on the rear it looks like a flat sticker. What are the options to replace this sticker? should I leave them without it?

Thanks for any input