Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Godspeed problem:new disctype

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2007, 10:20 AM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Godspeed problem:new disctype

Ordered new discs for my Godspeed 335mm kit as the old ones were near wear limit. Problem was that when I tried to mount them to the alubells the boltholes in the new discs didnīt match up with the holes in the bells. Godspeed explained that they changed the PCD in the discs due to problems with the old PCD causing cracks from the holes. The remedy was to send the bells to Godspeed and they would drill new holes, or go to a local machine shop to have them make the holes to save time and money as I live in Denmark. Or I could pay the cost price of 125Ģ for a pair of new bells with the correct holes in them.

So I went to 3 different machine shops here, and they all refused to make the holes, claiming that there would not be enough material in the bells for the new holes meaning that the new holes would be too close to the edge of the bells. Out of lag of time (car is an every day driver) I then tried to make the holes myself (after centering the new discs correctly to the old bells) but during drilling the first hole I realized that it would be impossible to make this safe, the holes are going to be only about 1mm from the edge of the bell.

Can someone help? if you have done this job yourself and maybe have some pictures of how you did it. Iīve tried to call Godspeed but no one is answering and the car is jacked up for the second time me trying to fit the new discs.
Old 07 March 2007, 10:48 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

I would suggest that if Godspeed have identified a problem with the old PCD they sould replace the bells at there cost for you. If they have offered to drill them out fair enough but by the looks of it that could be dangerous if other machine shops have refused to do it

Keep trying to get hold of them, I understand that they are not the best people to get in contact with.
Old 07 March 2007, 12:33 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TARManiAC
Iīve tried to call Godspeed but no one is answering and the car is jacked up for the second time me trying to fit the new discs.
Nothing new there then

Personally I think he should supply you with a new set of bells free of charge. Drilling extra holes sounds like a ludicrous idea especially on something as safety critical as brake discs.

Good luck.

Last edited by The Zohan; 08 March 2007 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Slanderous comments removed
Old 07 March 2007, 12:42 PM
bruce
Scooby Regular

I had my bells re drilled by Ian when I visited him to get new discs fitted. There have been no problems in the 5k miles I've done on them so far.
Old 07 March 2007, 01:05 PM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

Coffin Dodger ,
why is drilling extra holes ludicrous ? do you really know what your talking about , it would seem that over 50 sets of bells have been modified like this with no problems whatsoever , and the only reason that the PCD was changed is to reduce the chance of the discs cracking when doing track days , apparently this change was made around 4 years ago

I think you will find from the starter of this thread that Ian was in contact with him within an hour of posting.
Old 07 March 2007, 10:20 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

I know it's prob perfectly safe but whichever way you look at it it's still a "bodge job" and will always look like one to anybody who has an eye for nicely engineered and quality parts. I have also heard the radial caliper brackets have to be "shimmed" on some of the godspeed kits again it prob perfectly safe but i would rather see something that's a spot on perfect fit. Anybody who doesn't take them time to annodise the brake discs bells whilst not a complete cowboy. Is in my book not paying enough attention to detail.
Old 07 March 2007, 10:37 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the need to express something....

Ian is a one man band, he supplies products that work, if you want anodising he can get it done, you don't pay for it if you don't want it, his products are very reliable, and whilst at times he struggles to keep up with things, if he had a blonde tart in the office who knew nothing about brakes, but could pick the phone up when it rang, he'd have to pay her at least the minimum wage, therfore that cost would be passed on, i have had Ian's kit for years, and i had standard sized discs and bells before that, when i need new 335 discs, i will pay for new bells, as even with that cost, it's still cheaper than the Alcon discs alone.....

If you want shiney, pay shiney prices.....

Ian's stuff is value for money, it doesn't pruport to be the best, but it works. End of.
Old 07 March 2007, 10:47 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

It's a fair you've made RON you get what you pay for.
Old 08 March 2007, 06:59 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

Finchy boy
Take a bit of time and look into it , some AP kits and also the Prodrive Alcon kit also needed shimming the get the calipers to sit on the discs correctly , this has nothing to do with the way the kits are made , but a variation in the uprights on the cars.

Also you can have the bells anodised with Godspeed , but its extra cost , its up to the customer to decide if they want to spend another Ģ40 on that ,

So not paying attention to detail ?? I dont think so....
Old 08 March 2007, 09:13 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

I recently had a pair of disc bells and caliper mounts that i machined hard anodised in gold by Protec in northampton. The cost was 15 pounds so 40 seems a bit pricey to me but there you go . As for variation of the subaru uprights i find that hard to believe. I mocked up my caliper mounts with an old upright and hub from a scrap yard plus a spare wheel so i didn't have to take the car off the road. When i fitted them to my car they fitted exactly as they had on the mock up. 3 different uprights 2 identical brackets no discernable difference in upright machining at all and not a shim in sight. Or maybe i was just lucky the upright from the scrap yard and the 2 on my car were in tollerence !!

Last edited by finchyboy; 08 March 2007 at 09:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08 March 2007, 10:29 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

You find it hard to believe ? what so AP , Prodrive , Alcon and Godspeed have it wrong then ??

Like you said , you have only worked on 3 hubs , and if you have fitted your brackets to the front of the lugs then there wouldn't be any issues , but most of the kits , the brackets are fitted to the inside of the lugs , which is where you can run into problems of the difference in sizes ect.

Ģ40 is what Godspeed get charged for anodising , the company that does it are the only ones he knows of in a 30 mile radius to him , so if its Ģ40 , its Ģ40 , nothing they can do about that , either the customer has it done at extra cost , or doesnt.

Last edited by awd wrx; 08 March 2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09 March 2007, 05:55 AM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

Have to say that although I experienced some probs with this kit (335mm) I got about 120.000km. (75.000miles) in 4 years out of the front discs. That including 9-10 track days and skimming the discs once due to my mistake of grounding the front pads to the metal on one trackday.
Old 09 March 2007, 01:10 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I have the godspeed kit as well, and I really like it

Yes, delivery took a bit longer than I would have liked, but the kit itself is fantastic value for money IMO. I'd happily buy another kit if I needed one.

My only problem with the kit is that it squeals quite a bit under light braking, but that might be because I'm running with too little copper grease between the pads and the shims.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but as as everyone is looking at this thread, has anyone else had problems with brake squeal and if so, how did you cure it (if at all)? I'm running with grooved discs and DS2500 pads.

Edit: Also, I believe that some other brake kits squeal also, so i'm not trying to rubbish the kits
Old 09 March 2007, 09:26 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

The squeeling os dwon to the pads, not the kit... i have exaclty the same set-up as you, but without the squeel.... i drive my car quite hard, do you 'use' your brakes hard very often... maybe they need a good standing on.....

If that fails, a bit more coppaslip might do the trick!
Old 09 March 2007, 10:10 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by RON
The squeeling os dwon to the pads, not the kit... i have exaclty the same set-up as you, but without the squeel.... i drive my car quite hard, do you 'use' your brakes hard very often... maybe they need a good standing on.....

If that fails, a bit more coppaslip might do the trick!
Nah, don't really use the car that much at all to be honest... done 2k since August last year

Do you still have the anti squeel shims fitted?

I took the car out for a drive through london today, and now it seems the squealing is worse than before (5 hours of start-stop traffic).

I'll try to use them harder next time i take it out.
Old 09 March 2007, 11:05 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Sounds like yours might need a few higher speed stops.....
No anti squell shims on mine, just copaslip... no space for the shims as the pads are so thick!!
Old 10 March 2007, 09:06 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by RON
Sounds like yours might need a few higher speed stops.....
No anti squell shims on mine, just copaslip... no space for the shims as the pads are so thick!!
Yeah, I remember having a right battle trying to fit the shims.

I'm gonna take them out when I get a chance in that case and see if that makes a diff

Cheers for the help!