Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Just put on Pff7's and ride very lumpy??

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2006, 08:43 AM
ronanharper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just put on Pff7's and ride very lumpy??

Hi folks

Just bought a brand new set of genuine Prodrive Pff7's alloys for my 53 reg STI on Saturday - they look class! Wanted these along time!

She is running on brand new Pirelli P Zero Nero's which Subaru tell me is the only tyre recommended by Prodrive for these wheels.

Maybe its the lower profile tyres but even on a smooth motorway, the ride is lumpy and the sterring wheel feels like its going over small stones sometimes or a cattle grid!

Is this normal and do I just have to accept it or is somethign wrong with set up? I got the wheels realigned etc on Saturday too?

Thanks
Ronan
Old 22 May 2006, 11:32 AM
Smatt
Scooby Regular

The ride will feel lumpy now, as you have less tyre wall to absorb the knocks.
I have these on my car & I love um. I have had the springs changed as well.
This makes for a really lumpy ride. I have found playing with the pressures can help. I get a worse ride when the pressures are down.
I am running Goodyear F1's & have the pressures higher than spec.
As far as Prodrive recommending Pirelli, lets see at the end of the rally season when they go their own ways.
The P-Zero's are a good tyre & I doubt whether most of us could tell the difference in most of the top ones.
Old 22 May 2006, 04:21 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just about to get rid of my P Zero Neros from my PFFs. Yes a good tyre but not my own choice.
The walls are soooooooo soft and I would not attempt trying to go over anything higher than about a 2inch kerb, and then only at 90 Degrees. Le crunch!!!

Getting Falken FK452 for £270 delivered to the door.

www.falkentyres.co.uk
Old 22 May 2006, 05:09 PM
P1 NUT
Scooby Regular

Got these wheels on my P1 and I experience the same as ronanharper but it all even out on b roads for some reason.
Old 22 May 2006, 10:24 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Ronan,

when I first changed to PFF7's on my 53 STi I noticed the lumpy ride too - though none of the other symptoms - as others have suggested balancing/tracking/geometry check sounds in order. The lumpy ride you may be stuck with.

To this day I still prefer to drive the car on 17's, when pressing on I just feel more connected to the road and there is less abs chatter in the wet or on greasy surfaces. As I also have AST suspension I find I have to run the settings very soft to get any level of feedback from the PFF7's otherwise I find it difficult to detect the breakaway/loss of grip point - especially in the wet. I use Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on both sets.

We have P-Zero Nero's on our Ibiza Cupra and that suffers from a very hard ride (hard suspension and 40 profile tyres don't help) - they do offer superb dry weather drip and are pretty good in the wet too. They seem to work best on track with a bit of heat in them! Which is also true of RE070's which ride even harder - ouch on the road, ooh la la on track!

So for looks the PFF7's are awesome, for me the 17's are a more pure driving experience. I am sure the checks and finding tyres you are happy with will help a lot but if you really want rid of the STi bounce and jiggle be prepared to bend your plastic...

Hope that helps,

Mark
Old 23 May 2006, 08:37 AM
ronanharper
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. This have give me some food for thought I suppose.

Yeah, I can already feel that the RE070's I had on before offered a better driving experience in terms of feeling the road and especially when you cane it! RE070's are a ****** though when they wear down as they begin tramlining and generally the ride gets hard - hard to beat a good ride though!!

I'll ring Subaru today so see what they say.

L8r.
Old 26 May 2006, 11:40 AM
sjp63
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MBK
Ronan,

when I first changed to PFF7's on my 53 STi I noticed the lumpy ride too - though none of the other symptoms - as others have suggested balancing/tracking/geometry check sounds in order. The lumpy ride you may be stuck with.

To this day I still prefer to drive the car on 17's, when pressing on I just feel more connected to the road and there is less abs chatter in the wet or on greasy surfaces. As I also have AST suspension I find I have to run the settings very soft to get any level of feedback from the PFF7's otherwise I find it difficult to detect the breakaway/loss of grip point - especially in the wet. I use Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on both sets.

We have P-Zero Nero's on our Ibiza Cupra and that suffers from a very hard ride (hard suspension and 40 profile tyres don't help) - they do offer superb dry weather drip and are pretty good in the wet too. They seem to work best on track with a bit of heat in them! Which is also true of RE070's which ride even harder - ouch on the road, ooh la la on track!

So for looks the PFF7's are awesome, for me the 17's are a more pure driving experience. I am sure the checks and finding tyres you are happy with will help a lot but if you really want rid of the STi bounce and jiggle be prepared to bend your plastic...

Hope that helps,

Mark
Mark

I'm thinking of changing wheels to the P-WRC1 and moving to 18in. Reading your comments makes me wonder wether buying the WRC1 in 17in and transferring the existing tyres over might be an option.

Trending Topics

Old 26 May 2006, 10:23 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I have prodrive springs, PFF7s and Michelin PS2s.... the ride, and obviously the handling, are better for me than the standard wheels and springs. This is on an MY06.

As for Subaru only recommending Pirellis, do a search for Mike Wood's (Prodrive) comments on the Michelin PS2s.....

Tony.
Old 27 May 2006, 10:04 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sjp63
Mark

I'm thinking of changing wheels to the P-WRC1 and moving to 18in. Reading your comments makes me wonder wether buying the WRC1 in 17in and transferring the existing tyres over might be an option.
I would say yes if performance and handling are your preference - clearly the 18's have a visual edge but I would question the dynamic gains. You might wonder why both Scoobaru and Mitsi both fit 17's as standard....17" Ultralegga's are about the lightest wheel around if you are looking for a price comparison.
Old 28 May 2006, 12:11 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MBK
You might wonder why both Scoobaru and Mitsi both fit 17's as standard....
I wouldn't take what a manufacture fits as standard as the best choice, that's down to many more factors than say just ride quality. If you had a MY97 impreza would you stick with the 15" wheels becuase Subaru chose to fit them as standard... i'd assume the answer would be no.

The selection of wheel and tyre have more of an effect than the jump from 17" to 18".

Tony.
Old 28 May 2006, 06:54 AM
sjp63
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
I wouldn't take what a manufacture fits as standard as the best choice, that's down to many more factors than say just ride quality. If you had a MY97 impreza would you stick with the 15" wheels becuase Subaru chose to fit them as standard... i'd assume the answer would be no.

The selection of wheel and tyre have more of an effect than the jump from 17" to 18".

Tony.
Its a little confusing really - Prodrive recomend fitting 18's with the PPP "to make use of the torque". Well my car doesnt feel like its losing grip so not sure about that.
Old 29 May 2006, 01:26 PM
ronanharper
Scooby Regular

Subaru say they not sure what it is - have to take her back so they can test drive. Its definitley unacceptable that one should pay the sort of money for these wheels and tyres and have this problem - Subaru should take the bleeding thing for a test drive afterwards!!

just a thought - could it be the Pirelli tyres? My brother has a 525d sport and recently put Pirelli 4000's on the back and is experiencing the juddering at times as well - he says the Pirelli's are crap for that??

Ronan
Old 29 May 2006, 03:46 PM
P1 NUT
Scooby Regular

Martin, was your car in S+S Services in Ayr on Saturday by any chance?