Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyres which ones

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2006, 09:15 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyres which ones

I've already posted this on the main scooby forum and have been advised that I should have directed it here.

I've a set of Yoko A539s on the car. One of my front Tyres has a slow puncture.

I've been on the phone to various suppliers and they seem to be offering Toyo proxies (ys), Good Year F1's, dunlop 9000's and the like.

I'm wondering whether this is worth the money. The previos owner of my car had the A539s fitted.

I only use the car for shortish journeys and hardly ever use it for fast road driving. I don't mind paying the £85+ per tyre but feel thats theres no point if I'm not exploting its potential.

Can I just change the damaged tyre for.....Advice on makes / Cost?

Will I need to replace the front two...Again adviced on makes / costs?

I've had some good advice already from the main forum but would like examples of makes please.

Thanks in advance

Esh
Old 10 April 2006, 09:34 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Yoki A539's are dreadful in my experience. They have reasonable dry performance and are just about OK in the wet, but I find them awful in damp conditions. They are quite soft, hence the dry grip, and so wear quite quickly.

For a budget choice I have never had any issues with Hankook Ventus K104, and at IRO £50 a corner they are a steal.

My favourite at the moment would be Vredestein UltraC, which you could get for IRO £80 per corner. I have found these offer 95% of the dry grip of RE070's with F1 rivalling wet performance and excellent wear rates.

Toyo's are good wet or dry, but wear quite quickly. F1's are similar but slightly better and last a bit better.

All IMHO, HTH.
Old 11 April 2006, 11:01 AM
Donkster
Scooby Regular

I had the original fit Bridgestones on my car and changed all four to Toyo Proxes T1R's last week. Got all four fitted for £356 which I didn't think was too bad.

I'm happy with them.
Old 11 April 2006, 06:35 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

I'd say people have had different experiences with the yokos.

For the duration of my GTiR ownership I had the A539s and they performed will wet or dry.

I am more of as relaxed driver these days but have the occasional foot down round corner moments but these really are few and far between.

Could someone please answer my question as to whether I need to change just the one punctured tyre or change both as the A539 is discontinued.

As for tyre choice I'm still a bit confused. For the type of driving I will do are Toyos / Goodyears really the way to go?

Thanks

Eshan