Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

What tyre should I get??Help . . .

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2006, 02:47 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face What tyre should I get??Help . . .

Greetings to all you worthy followers of the Scoobynet!

I have checked some past threads, and I know this is a very philosophical question . . . But as still a newb with my first Imprezza, wanted to be sure about this . . . .

My standard Potenza 050's will need replacing soon . . . .I know tyres are very much a personal choice, but opinions differ considerably on this issue . . . . .

When I do replace the tyres on my WRX300, is it best to :

a) Stick with the original tyres i.e Potenza

b) Go with the more recognised Brands (Michelin , Pirelli, Good Year)

c) As I hear some good reviews abt Yokohama Parada II, or say Marangoni Zeta Linea - go with something like that , as they are cheaper and have a good reputation . . .

So far pretty happy with the Potenza's, but need something perhaps a bit kinder on the wallet and high performance and durable . . My driving style is as normal and defensive as they come, but say if I had a day with the HPI training or a track day would it not be more prudent to go with thte cheaper tyre ???

Many thanks .
Old 30 March 2006, 07:26 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

The reason no one replied, is because, nobody knows the answer! FACT!!
Old 31 March 2006, 04:50 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
The reason no one replied, is because, nobody knows the answer! FACT!!
I suggest the reason nobody replied to you is that the 'answers' you are asking for are all there if you look down the page you posted on.
This thread has never been far from the top and will give you the opinions of many, which should help you make your choice. http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=495774
Track days are most likely going to trash a set of tyres - if you do a few laps at full tilt - making them unsuitable for road use anyway as the shoulders usually get worn pretty quickly on a dry track, even scrubbing the lettering off the sidewalls in some cases. Personally I'd get some spare wheels and tyres for that purpose or worry about it when you book one.
Of course opinions vary, but the more opinions sway in one direction the better the chances that you'll agree if you go with them.
Old 01 April 2006, 11:15 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advise mate . . .

THink I will settle for some Zeta Linea when the time comes . . .Yes . . I saw the thread you mention, but it only appears most people have has an axe to grind, and the answers are far from clear . . .