Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

What winter / all year tyres ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2005, 04:03 PM
Mutts Nutts
Scooby Regular

Location: AKA *Smiles* Laindon, Essex. MY04 Psuedo-STI Wagon http://swrt.verio.co.uk www.remanissradio.net
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What winter / all year tyres ?

As per the title was wonedering what 17" tyres are a good choice for winter/ all year round as cant be doing with the hassle of changing tyres on rims between summer winter or owning two sets of rims.

The reason I'm asking is we have the 04 5 spoke STI alloys with the original bridgestone potenzas which i'm told are a semi slick so are a in the snow or winter... The previous owner did tell me that the dealer had advised him that it would handle like a snow plough when it came to winter and should consider a set of winter alloys and keep these for summer.

Any advice much appreciated
Old 11 September 2005, 06:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No tyre of that size will do in winter, even the RE070's will act as good as say the Toyo or the Goodyear, the grip fills with snow, cant get rid of it and your tyre becomes a total slick, plus the ABS then hinders you.....
Snow tyres on the other hand are usually very thin so that you get as much pressure on one small area as possible, thus giving more grip (and the fact you get studs in some of them).
Also, nothing wrong with RE070's in winter, done 2 winters on these now, good fun

Tony
Old 11 September 2005, 07:09 PM
Mutts Nutts
Scooby Regular

Location: AKA *Smiles* Laindon, Essex. MY04 Psuedo-STI Wagon http://swrt.verio.co.uk www.remanissradio.net

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the advice . I am actually thinking of selling the wheels with tyres, they were fitted to our wagon by the previous owner. Golds great on a saloon, but not to keen on the rally slag style on the wagon, want to go a bit more stealth . Plus in the winter I'm lazy cleaning wheeels, anthracite are much more winter weekend friendly .

Was trying to work out what would be the best trade off for an all year round year when I buy a set with new alloys. I'm going with a 7" rim with a 215 most likely, I dont do track, but like doing fsat road so confidence in the grip is important but not at sacrifice of functionality and safety in winter, would like to keep a tyre to use all year.

Advice appreciated, cheeers

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
No tyre of that size will do in winter, even the RE070's will act as good as say the Toyo or the Goodyear, the grip fills with snow, cant get rid of it and your tyre becomes a total slick, plus the ABS then hinders you.....
Snow tyres on the other hand are usually very thin so that you get as much pressure on one small area as possible, thus giving more grip (and the fact you get studs in some of them).
Also, nothing wrong with RE070's in winter, done 2 winters on these now, good fun

Tony
Old 02 November 2005, 01:20 PM
budgie55
Scooby Regular

hi looking for some help also... I have an MY05 STi and am looking at getting some rims and tyres for the winter. I have no clue where to start with the rims or tyres to be honest but have heard some stories of the RE070 being quite interesting! in the winter.

Any advice or pointers for rims and tyres would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Allan