Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Eagle F1's bad in snow...

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2005, 10:45 PM
_benny_
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Eagle F1's bad in snow...

God damn the Eagle F1's are bad in the snow! How does everyone else find them?
Old 22 February 2005, 12:30 AM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

Of course they are bad in the snow, they are summer tires. Bad like all summer tires would be in snow. I´m in Denmark and I guess that 80% of all cars uses wintertires (M/S) from October to March.
Old 22 February 2005, 03:03 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Yep they're pretty bad

But how can you expect a tyre designed for dry / wet traction to be anything else. Awesome grip in the dry though

Just to add they're rubbish on mud strewn roads as well as I found out.
Old 22 February 2005, 03:23 PM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Terrible, just as you would expect.
Old 23 February 2005, 03:28 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

so i take it the RE070's will be just as bad...... the spec 'c' is shod with them and get that friday..........
Old 23 February 2005, 03:43 PM
JohnS

The RE-070s will be worse, as they have very stiff sidewalls and large tread blocks without sipes (those small cuts), meaning they will be extremely poor in snow and ice.

For winter use, you are far better off running a tyre like the Nokian WR, which can be bought in speed ratings up to 150mph. It's not an all out winter/snow tyre, but performs many times better in snow, ice and even wet roads in cold conditions (under say 10 deg C) than other all-round tyres like the F1. Only on warmer dry roads would it start to be a disadvantage, but nowhere near as bad as proper snow tyres which can be pretty useless on anything but snow & ice.

If you have the RE-070s I would use them for 8 months of the year, and run the WRs from December - March.

John
Old 23 February 2005, 06:25 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnS
The RE-070s will be worse, as they have very stiff sidewalls and large tread blocks without sipes (those small cuts), meaning they will be extremely poor in snow and ice.

For winter use, you are far better off running a tyre like the Nokian WR, which can be bought in speed ratings up to 150mph. It's not an all out winter/snow tyre, but performs many times better in snow, ice and even wet roads in cold conditions (under say 10 deg C) than other all-round tyres like the F1. Only on warmer dry roads would it start to be a disadvantage, but nowhere near as bad as proper snow tyres which can be pretty useless on anything but snow & ice.

If you have the RE-070s I would use them for 8 months of the year, and run the WRs from December - March.

John
trust me to buy a spec 'c' in winter oh well wheels and tyres on the list now too.......
Old 24 February 2005, 02:48 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ice is a different matter. not sure any tyre can "perform" in that unless it's very narrow and full of nobbly bits with spikes

My Eagles have been as good as any other tyre in snow - Pirelli P-Zero and Toyo Proxes beforehand.

The only issues I've had are on ICE. In heavy snow, I had loads of controllable grip (obviously keeping braking to a minimum and driving at appropriate speeds).

I did have a play in a BIG car park and got the alloys all clogged with snow. The ABS light came on and disabled itself (oops). Car actually felt a lot better under braking without ABS, but this was with LOTS of DEEP snow. Anything less than a few inches or hard packed, then I'd try and let the engine do the braking rather than touch the middle pedal

Stefan