Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Different tyres on wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2004, 12:51 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different tyres on wheels...

At the moment ive got some Avon ZZ3s on the front and some continentals on the back.

Apart from strange handling, is this likely to damage the car (the pairs of tyres are of the same age/wear)?

Ollie
Old 04 November 2004, 12:43 AM
surfer boy
Scooby Regular

It's unlikely to cause physical problems as impreza don't suffer from wind up that some 4x4s do when running different size wheels of even a few mm - ie new on front old on rear would knacker a calibra. Of course crashing due to the iffy handling might be an issue!! All the advice seems to be that matched tyres all round are the only really good option. Just consider that you could be dramatically effecting grip levels at either end and so the usual predictable handling when pushing on may be anything but predictable. Read the tyre comparison test in this months autocar to see the fairly large difference in capabilities of different brands in different conditions - then think about whether it is worth the risk.
Old 04 November 2004, 01:59 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Yeah true, although i think ill hold out as i want to buy a set of 18"s
Old 05 November 2004, 07:24 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

There have been loads of threads covering this - basically, don't mix tyres. I can vouch for that because my Bugeye used to have Goodyear F1's on back and Bridgeton Potenza's on front - what a disaster that was in terms of imprecise handling, tramlining etc. Now on F1's all round and the car is so much more assured - others have said the same.
Old 14 November 2004, 01:16 PM
CHEN
Scooby Newbie

Default AVON TYRES

General advise seems to be same tyre type allround . Have just acquired my 2nd Scooby (WRX 03) with Avons on rear and Khumo on front (oversize 235 profile) and it definetly does not handle.
On searching for suitable replacements two separate tyre shops have commented tyre walls on Avons are prone to splits appearing. Sure enough i found some on the inside wall of one of mine.
HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED SIMILAR PROBLEMS? Its definetly worth keeping an eye on them or changing them for F1s like me.
Originally Posted by olliecampbell
At the moment ive got some Avon ZZ3s on the front and some continentals on the back.

Apart from strange handling, is this likely to damage the car (the pairs of tyres are of the same age/wear)?

Ollie
Old 15 November 2004, 12:59 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmarch
There have been loads of threads covering this - basically, don't mix tyres. I can vouch for that because my Bugeye used to have Goodyear F1's on back and Bridgeton Potenza's on front - what a disaster that was in terms of imprecise handling, tramlining etc. Now on F1's all round and the car is so much more assured - others have said the same.
DITTO - dont mix em!