Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

215/45 R16 ok????

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2004, 07:14 PM
turningjapanese
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 215/45 R16 ok????

I've got to get a new set of snow tyres and I can get a set of 215/45 R16's for half the price of 205/50 R16's because the 215/45's are old stock. The guy in the shop said they'll be ok but I suspect he's just saying that to get rid of them.
Will going for the lower profile on the same rims make the overall diameter too small??
I'm broke and the cheaper tyres are very tempting. Any thoughts much appreciated.
Old 02 November 2004, 03:17 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

This'll give you a Speedometer Difference: 1.944% too fast.
I've also sent a PM - was wondering if your dealer has another set of the cheap 16" tyres.

Kevin.
Old 03 November 2004, 10:51 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Plesase don't buy cheap/crap tyres for a quick car. I don't want you skidding into me

Good rubber is hardly a major expense relatively speaking and the difference it makes to every aspect of handling is worth every penny.

<lecture over>

Richard.
Old 03 November 2004, 06:23 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Hoppy, turningjapanese is based in Japan and I'm based in Shetland - so unless you're prepared to do some travelling you should be ok...
My tyres are for the Legacy GTB I've bought for the winter and are only intended for use in snow - if I want to go fast I'll wheel out the STi3 with it's 18" OZ's and Pzero's.
Old 03 November 2004, 07:58 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Kev
Old 09 November 2004, 02:57 PM
turningjapanese
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Hoppy
Plesase don't buy cheap/crap tyres for a quick car. I don't want you skidding into me

Good rubber is hardly a major expense relatively speaking and the difference it makes to every aspect of handling is worth every penny.

<lecture over>

Richard.
Hoppy, relax . The only time I'll be skidding into you is if you get in my way snowboarding.
I don't waste my time with **** tyres.
I'm looking at top end tyres but getting them half price.
And as far as relative expense goes, the tyres are gonna cost me as much as the car did. Second hand cars are cheap as chips over here, I just picked up a 94 WRX for about 500pounds.
Old 10 November 2004, 02:22 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

cheap as chips, but how long is left on the shaken? Putting a new shaken on can be fearsomely expensive if you do as most Japanese and just give your car to a dealer with a blank cheque. If you have J friends who are knowledgable petrol heads, you can get a shaken yourself for much less money

I'm about to put my winter wheels back on my WRX Wagon and the tyres will now be one year older. I'm not expecting any serious drop in performance, but naturally the tyres are a year older and the UV will made them somewhat less pliable.

What tyres are you thinking of getting? I got a set of new Michelin Drice tyres last year on a new set of generic alloys, fitted, balanced and delivered for 45,000 yen !
Old 10 November 2004, 12:52 PM
turningjapanese
Scooby Newbie

Yeah I've been here quite a few years now, speak japanese, did all the paperwork myself. Saved a few yen that way. It's still got a years shaken on it.
Shaken's not as bad as everyone makes out anyway. My last car was a civic and it only cost me 70,000yen.
I've been looking at Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-01's.
Where did you you get yours from? 45,000 with wheels is cheap! Can you give me a phone number or a website?