Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-3 Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2004, 09:40 PM
andyjessup1978
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-3 Tyres

I have just put a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-3 Tyres on the back of my 99 UK Turbo and still have about 1000 miles tread left on my P Zero's on the front. I was planning on putting thesame Goodyears on the front so I'd have a good set of wets for the winter. Since I put these on the cars pulling all over the place when cruising at speed, especially when driving in the grooves lossies make on the motorway. Are these just ****e tyres or is it cos i've got different tread on the back to the front??
Old 08 September 2004, 10:03 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

The GSD-3's are one of the best tyres on the market IMO. They do suffer from tramlining a bit due to the tread pattern but this is made up for by the grip levels in both wet and dry.
Fiddle with the pressures a bit.

Jason
Old 09 September 2004, 09:29 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

The F1 is a great tyre. The best I've ever fitted to my Scoob. All round performance is excellent. I haven't experienced the tramlining that Jason has mentioned (if you want tramlining, try 18" Pirelli's!). The mix of tyres is probably not helping. Have you tried swapping the P zero's to the back and F1s to the front?

Personally, I'd get a another pair of F1s ASAP and then play around with tyre pressures etc. I think you'll find a big difference. As your car is a 99 Classic, I'd also consider a geometry setup and bumpsteer removal from the likes of Powerstation - you would not believe the difference this will make to how your car handles.

Chris
Old 09 September 2004, 10:07 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Red face Buy some more F1's NOW !

I made a similar mistake back in 2000 - I had a blow out and decided to do the sensible thing and replace both tyres on the axle, even though the other one was only half worn.

A month or so later I lost it completely on a bend - I wans't going that fast and the back snapped round so fast I couldn't catch it ! I'd had the car 2 years and knew it pretty well, so I put it down to oil or something on the road. I did a few grands worth of damage in the process.

A month or so later I did Don Palmers 'Wetter the Better' course on the wet handling circuit at MIRA. The car was a disaster - after 1 lap with Don driving, he got out to check I actually had tread on the rear tyres (I had the new ones on the front) - I actually had about 6mm.

I could hardly use the car all day - it had been fine everywhere else, but on a wet track it was useless. The next day I replaced the rears with the same tyres as the front (Bridgestome S02's ruled back then) and went back to MIRA the following week. The car was transformed and I had a fantastic day.

Major lesson - most of the time you will be fine, but when you do reach the limit, one set of tyres will give up grip whilst the other set don't - this causes VERY snappy handling.

I will never again mix tyres on any vehicle - it's just not worth it.

The F1 GSD3's are an excellent tyre.
Old 09 September 2004, 11:36 PM
JamesPRJones
Scooby Regular

The F1's are brilliant. When I first got mine I wasn't impressed at all. They seemed very 'wobbly' as though the sidewalls were flexing too much. After driving a few hundred miles allowing them to bed in, they were like a different tyre.Fiddling with tyre pressures helped too.

J
Old 10 September 2004, 10:20 AM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by JamesPRJones
The F1's are brilliant. When I first got mine I wasn't impressed at all. They seemed very 'wobbly' as though the sidewalls were flexing too much. After driving a few hundred miles allowing them to bed in, they were like a different tyre.Fiddling with tyre pressures helped too.

J
spot on James! Same thoughts I had - like driving on marshmallows for a few hundred - thought I'd made a real bone head choice - but now.... oooooh yeah!
tramlining is not an issue at all with my sti v3 on the GSD3's. It was with some bridgestones I had.... SO3's I think... bring back SO1 they were good...

here's a laugh - remember the re010 ?? ha ha ha haaaaaa

buy the scooby a new pair so the beast has the right sort of rubber all round - it makes a massive difference - but give 'em time to bed in before any hero style driving
Old 10 September 2004, 11:07 AM
JamesPRJones
Scooby Regular

On the downside my front 2 both have a small blister so urgently need replacing. They have a good 4mm left so I'm a bit gutted but as they only cost £45 each I can't complain.

I was told that because they are 40 profiles they can easily be damaged by potholes. I never had this problem with my previous Pirelli's or Toyos so I'll be getting Toyos this time.

There's no way (IMO) that F1's are worth the extra 40% premium if they are gonna blister after 14 months. I'll get more use out of Toyos than 14 months even if they don't wear as well as F1's.

J