Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre repair ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2004, 08:52 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tyre repair ?

I noticed an overnight loss of pressure on one of my rear wheels and on closer inspection found a screw sticking out

Its about 2cm from the edge of the wheel in one of the tread grooves. Dealer says they should be able to repair (but need to see it first).

Its a WR1 so its an 18" Pirelli P-Zero ....

How near to 'as good as new' would a repair be ?
Would it be more likely to blow out or fail later on ?
Am I just being paranoid ?

cheers, as always, for any advice
Old 01 September 2004, 09:00 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

My other half had one in a similar positon in her Polo the other week and was told that she should have a new tyre. This was at the garage she works in.

If i were you i'd change the tyre. I would do if i had a screw in a trye on my WR1.

Wondering whether you're going to end up with a flat whilst cornering a bit quick isn't a good idea.

Try the link here for a price;

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

Chris
Old 01 September 2004, 10:26 PM
mickjg
Scooby Regular

cold turcky if the tyre can be repaired then it is very safe to be repaired.
what a good tyre company will do is drill a hole in the tyre with a 6mm drill bit then buff the tyre down in side so the plug can stick to the tyre. this is 100% safe to do. the only thing that don`t sound good is that the screw is 2cm from the edge. it might be a bit close. with out seeing it its a bit 50/50. most tyre companys will try to sell you a new tyre.
i have fixed tyre on motorbikes to subarus in fact there is not much i have not done a repair to.
at the end of the day its up to you its your money. but if you dont get it fixed you might run it flat then you will have to buy a tyre.
mickjg
Old 01 September 2004, 10:36 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chris / Mick, thanks for the replies. I can see where you're coming from Chris and that was my first thought....but I'm no expert in these matters - which is why I love ScoobyNet so much

I did take a picture but it was only with a little digital camera and didn't come out well - couldn't focus close enough.

Any more opinions ? I'll take them all into consideration along with the dealer mechanics view, prices, hassle etc etc
Old 01 September 2004, 10:54 PM
mickjg
Scooby Regular

i must say one thing you you 2x choices get it fixed or buy a tyre there is no more. i had a two week holiday the car was parked up on my back yard. when i got back i had a flat tyre i changed it put there spare on drove it to work and I fixed it it does help when you are in the job. but there was no other choices i had.
if they say they can`t repair it take it some were eles you DON`T have to buy a tyre from them. I am in nottingham bring it to me it its not to far.
Old 01 September 2004, 11:42 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cheers Mick and thanks for the kind offer. Tried a different search on SN and found others have repaired their tyres with no issues so will go for that option. Car is in for its 1000 mile service on Tuesday anyway.
Old 02 September 2004, 06:55 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cold Turkey,

Had the same situation just over a month ago! My back-left tyre was flat one morning and on closer inspection I found a screw about 2 cms from the side.

I took my car down to Kwik Fit and the guy took the 17" P-zero off the rim and he removed the screw, drilled a hole and inserted some sort of 'plug'. He put the tyre back on, pumped it up and it has been perfect ever since. Even under spirited cornering the tyre has not lost pressure or been compromised in any way.

The cost? The book price was £15.99 which is certainly better than the £110 bill for a new tyre!!!

Mark.
Old 02 September 2004, 07:19 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In over 5 years of ownership, I've had 5 tyres repaired and none of them have ever caused problems. Worst case is the plug pops out and the tyre slowly deflates. You won't get a major blow-out unless it's repaired on the sidewall and no respectable tyre fitter would do that.

Anyway, it's not just a 6mm plug on it's own; it's attached to a long, wide piece of rubber that's bonded to the inside of the tyre.

Just get it repaired if it's away from the sidewall. Mine were around £6 each time.

Stefan
Old 02 September 2004, 10:14 PM
fastfit
Scooby Regular

Location: The third moon on the left past pluto. Unless it's raining, then it's the sixth on the right?

Even if a screw is right on the crown of the tyre you can still get a perfectly safe and legal repair done. It takes a couple of days as you need to send the tyre away to be fixed and it costs about £30 quid. I know, I work for the biggest fast fit company in europe. Any good repair will return the tyre to as new usability.
Old 03 September 2004, 09:59 AM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Wuss, Ozzy, Fastfit - many thanks for the replies....gives me peace of mind !