Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Godspeed 330mm conversion- what pads are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2004, 07:31 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Godspeed 330mm conversion- what pads are you using?

Fitted mine last week, first run on track tomorrow.

The previous owner, and several others, have commented on pad deposits knackering the balance of the disk.

From an engineering point of view, the pad supplied with the conversion is a lot deeper than a standard pad- but is not supported for quite a bit of its depth when using Subaru 4-pots (as I am). I'm guessing that this could cause pad deposits and uneven wear.

Following a suggestion / advice from a well known scoobynet brake expert I'm going to try standard 4 pot pads for track use. although they will not cover the entire braking surface of the disk they will, at least, have equal pressure right across them.

I'm going to try the Pagids this time (have been a life long Mintex user, and not keen on ferodos as I tend to murder them incredibly quickly)- not sure whether to go blue or black though.
Old 30 August 2004, 07:38 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Ferodo DS2500 and kevlar pads that ian supplied also on the back. Mines the 335mm kit, not sure if there is much difference.

Let us know how you find them on track, i cant wait to find out
Old 30 August 2004, 08:32 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Simon, the kit is 335mm... what's 5mm difference tho .

How did the fitting go and how do they feel on the road. Any vibration at all? Interesting that you've been recommended to use normal size 4 pot pads.... makes some sense i guess. Be interested how you go. Is the track day Oulton Park? We won't be there again..... AP came through on the discs for the GTi-R but Hi-Spec still haven't supplied the replacement alloy bells. After being ordered seven weeks ago!!!! I wouldn't touch Hi-Spec brakes with a ****ty stick. Their customer after sales support is the worst!!!!!!!! And their attitude stinks!!!!!!!

Tony.
Old 30 August 2004, 08:40 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

excellent, another 5 mm

had them skimmed before I fitted them, no vibration whatsoever. having said that they weren't out of true. also blasted the deposits off them.

will let you know how I get on with them- they don't feel awesome at the moment tbh, but they'll need to bed in again after skimming.

will probs try the normal size pads for the four pots next time- i'm slightly uneasy about the unsopported part of the bigger pad but will try it both ways.

I had a set of smaller godspeeds on my first RA and they were ace, so looking forward to the improvement I know I am going to find them to be.
Old 30 August 2004, 08:49 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Got the info..... from reading threads on here i'd say he knows his stuff so wouldn't hesitate following his advice.

Glad the discs weren't out of true and they went on OK. Hate selling second hand stuff just in case it doesn't go on right or fails after 5 mins. Hope tommorrow goes well and let me know how the kit fairs.

Tony.
Old 30 August 2004, 08:50 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this kit too, for the raod I use cheapo pads from an auto factors, and then for the track I fit the Mintex 1144's, mainly because as you say, the unsupported part of the pad, whilst not (for me) leaving deposits, they don't wear evenly, I tend to end up with 'wedge' shaped pads, which then leads to squeal on the road, hence the changing pads.
I find the mintex awesome though, and I personally cannot warrant spending £100 on a set of pads to trolley to work with.

Ron.
Old 30 August 2004, 09:42 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Are the Godspeed rotors proper rotors or road discs with the middles cut out?
Old 30 August 2004, 09:52 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Ron, being used to race cars I find 1144s too soft for track and tend to kill them fairly quickly. I run 1153 and 1166 compounds in the race car, which takes a while to warm up but are ace once warmed through.

Bren, they appear to be separate bells and rotors.
Old 30 August 2004, 09:54 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

They're only what I used to run on the road, when I need to replace them i'll probably get 1155's.
Old 30 August 2004, 10:01 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

fair enough. i used to run 1144s on the road, changed from 1155 as they were far too noisy and killed the standard disks. the 1144s are excellent all round pads, although i'm told that pad technology has moved on somewhat so I'm going to try the Pagids. Bloody expensive though compared with Mintys- the 1153s for APs only cost me about £30 a set!!
Old 31 August 2004, 02:00 AM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Pls excuse the interruption guys!

I am about to make a decision on what brake upgrade to go for ... and the GodSpeed 335mm conversion with ds2500 pads with standard 4-pots is top of my list so far (just fitted 18" wheels for this purpose!). I'd hate to get it wrong so for fast road use is the pad not being supported across all its area an issue that I should worry about and is there cause to consider other options such as the Brembo kit?

Cheers
Paul
Old 31 August 2004, 07:40 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I found lots of vibrations with the DS2500 pads. They also generate a good bit of dust.

The pad does stick out from the Subaru 4-pot caliper, but I don't personally believe this is a problem. If you ran normal pads and the upgraded discs, then it would affect the performance dramatically.

Consider the Brembo kit if you can afford to replace the caliper. Don't think you'll notice any serious improvement unless you take the car on track.

Stefan
Old 31 August 2004, 08:19 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RRH
Bren, they appear to be separate bells and rotors.
Yeah but are the rotors proper rotors? If you buy an AP kit then you get genuine race rotors, i.e. rotors that have been cast and designed to be used as rotors.

Some companies (mentioning no names) just buy in cheap road discs from high performance or big executive cars (the BMW M3 springs to mind) and cut the top hat out (the centre of the discs with the wheel stud/bolt holes in it). They then drill holes round the circumference of the newly appeared hole and bolt an alloy bell to it.

Im not happy with that way of making 'rotors', I want properly designed and cast rotors on my car hence my question re the Godspeeds.
Old 31 August 2004, 08:26 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

The Godspeed discs are cast and then machined by Ian himself. They aren't just road car discs that are altered to suit the Impreza.

Stefan
Old 31 August 2004, 08:41 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Good good
Old 31 August 2004, 10:49 AM
HOUSEQUAKE
Scooby Regular

Cool Gimmemore...

I have the 335mm upgrade and like ozzy says, the ds2500pads do create a bit of dust.

You say you have put 18" wheels on so you can go up to a bigger disk? but I believe (not certain) you can have a Godspeed 355mm (not 335mm) with 18" wheels.
Old 31 August 2004, 11:14 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Ozzy, what pads do you run now then ? _ I've a set of Godspeed 335s and find occasional 'wobble' type vibration when braking from 80+. Not consistent though, because it can do it on one push of the pedal, then not on the next, but then be back by the time I brake again.... V odd...

I'd say it occurs about 10% of the time (and only at 80+, as I say)

I am currently using the ds2500s, as they were OK on my TSL disks....

Its a shame, because when they don't vibrate, the braking is great..

Ta,

Mark
Old 31 August 2004, 11:25 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

Mark,

It could be as simple as a ball joint or steering joint causing your problems , if there is any play anywhere it will show up as a steering wheel wobble ,it's funny as you only get pad deposits with the ferodo's , it doesnt happen with the Mintex M1144's ,
Old 31 August 2004, 11:45 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

True about the steering/suspension issue - can't find anything, but it does seem that the 10% of the time is 100% on bumpy roads - I.e. never had any vibration on smooth tarmac...

When I've finished all my other projects, I'll take another look - though there doesn't seem to be any vibration when not braking, but it could be linked. Did have a ball joint replaced on O/S a couple of years (60000 miles) ago, so maybe the other is starting....

Ta,

Mark
Old 31 August 2004, 11:54 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

Still on the DS2500's. I get a wobble on normal driving around 60-70mph. Had my wheels balanced at least 4 times, so put it down to bad tyre or wheel.

Replaced my wheels about 2 months ago with some new 18" P-WRC1's and the wobbles still there. Either my wheels weren't balanced again or there's some play in the steering rack or wheel hub. Will get that checked at upcoming service.

Anyway, I get bad vibrations after giving the brakes serious abuse. Drove up from Leeds on Friday and hammered the car along the A66. Ever since the wheel wobbles under light braking from anything over 70mph.

Will try to clean the discs again as it usually goes away with a few heavy stops or some wet 'n dry..

Stefan

P.S. The wobble under normal driving is driving me made, so I hope it's something like a ball joint.
Old 31 August 2004, 12:38 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Stefan - That sounds MUCH worse than mine... I don't get anything when I'm driving normally (I was getting 'bad' vibrations, put had all 4 tyres replaced - was OK for around 2 days, then came back, so went back to get tyres done again - they did them for free and its been fine since (a few weeks now)).

Also, the vibration under braking is only when hitting them pretty hard... - I'm beginning to wonder if its a sticky caliper - as I said, I'll take a look when I get chance...

Good luck with finding it ! - Mark

PS_ Did you get your bulbs sorted ?
Old 31 August 2004, 01:59 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, bulbs are sorted. Bought some at Halfrauds in Leeds city centre for £2 just 10 min walk from the Hotel I was staying in.

Stefan
Old 31 August 2004, 02:36 PM
WRXCFC
Scooby Regular

Godspeed 330mm + Ferodo DS2500 pads as supplied by Ian has given excellent performance.

Two trackdays at Goodwood since fitting enabled late braking into Woodcote and no fade. Everyday driving gives no wobbles or vibration.
Old 31 August 2004, 07:39 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Right....... first track outing on them.

Initially quite good, although wasn't getting much feel from the pads. Not sure what they are, but they appear to be manufactured by Cadburys.

Got some vibration through the wheel once they were warm. Lots of smoking, like one would usually experience on a first track induction of a set of pads. However, it did not go away.

Pitted after approx 6 laps to check everything ok, and found maybe 40% of the drilled holes were blocked with pad residue.

Went back out again and reapeated said cycle some three to four times. Each time when i went out and the pads / disks were cooler, no vibration whatsoever.

On the last session I decided to try and clear the holes, so stood on the middle pedal rather hard from 120+.

This didn't have quite the desired effect- the pads in the left hand caliper sort of 'fell off' so I've driven home metal-to-metal. Cheery.

Anyway, I'm sorting some more pads very shortly (like tonight) as I suspect they were either from the crappy end of the EBC spectrum or mintex 1144s, neither of which will contend with the grief I tend to give on track.

I'd like to add, once again, that I have previously used and been very happy with Godspeeds. I suspect the disks, nor the kit, are the problem. I reckon weakest link is the pads made of used chocolate that came with them (I bought them 2nd hand).
Old 31 August 2004, 09:25 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
they appear to be manufactured by Cadburys.
Thought i'd lost a dairy milk somewhere

Hope some decent pads sort the kit out....... thinking about it more i'd sway towards a set of the early type EBCs being the culprit. I had a set of those a few years back and they just 'melted' after some spirited use.

Let me know which pads you go for..... need some decent pads for the Alcons soon so be interested in any feedback.

Tony.
Old 01 September 2004, 06:18 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

took the pads off today, suspect they are a combination of soft compound and 'not very new'

you can probs see how they are wearing in a 'wedge' shape, as suspected.

Please bear in mind that these suffered extremely heavy use yesterday- this is not normal road wear. I have replaced the pads today and they're excellent again!

Old 02 September 2004, 01:26 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

You gave them a bit of stick Be good to see how the kit handles your abuse when it has decent pads.

Tony.

P.s got your voicemail about 30mins ago...... i know my house is like a black hole for mobile reception but it's ben nearly 24 hours. 02 are a bag of ****e!!
Old 02 September 2004, 03:00 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
took the pads off today, suspect they are a combination of soft compound and 'not very new'

you can probs see how they are wearing in a 'wedge' shape, as suspected.

Please bear in mind that these suffered extremely heavy use yesterday- this is not normal road wear. I have replaced the pads today and they're excellent again!

My god, did you have to drive home on them?! They're well and truly fecked!
Old 16 February 2005, 02:31 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Which pads go with this kit? Someone mentioned that the Jaguar pad is the right size as the conventional pads are too small?
Old 16 February 2005, 03:38 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

The conventional pad works best with the caliper, but won't make contact with the entire surface of the large disc (for obvious reasons).

The pads are the shape from a Jag/Aston.

I stuck some info up on my website - http://www.stefanostadal.homedns.org...m#part_numbers

Stefan