Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Wheel size, help please.

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2004, 05:08 PM
Keef69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel size, help please.

Picking up my first Scooby tomorrow, P reg STI in the very unusual colour of white!!!!! The trouble is, I don't like gold alloys and they are scuffed and need new tyres soon ish. Got a reduction of course! But would love someone to explain why I should consider a 17" set up. It seems loads of people go for the bigger wheels/tyres, but what effect does this have. Does it ride better? Handle better? Cost more in petrol? Etc. I'd also like to know if there is a way of taking a pic of my car and then superimposing some wheels, so I can get a good idea of what they'll look like. Found a site that did something similar, but their Imprezas don't come in white!!!

Any comments on tyres would be useful too, I gather most people go for Toyo's or the P zero's, is this correct or am I way off the mark?

Now just wait till someone actually goes to this bit of the site!!!!
Old 25 July 2004, 05:56 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Like Me .. (going to this bit, I mean....)

Going to 17s won't make a lot of difference to your petrol consumption - it will make the car look a bit better - and the handling may improve - but I'd have someone decent set up the geometry, as that'll improve it LOTS (like TSL)....

It will ride slightly harder, but not much - and you're probably OK with Toyo, but I prefer GoodYear F1 GSDs myself - down to personal choice I guess....

'Course, I'm running 18s

PS _ Prodrive went to 17s on the classic - so 'sort of' recommended, if you believe in that kind of thing
Old 25 July 2004, 09:45 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Keef69
Picking up my first Scooby tomorrow, P reg STI in the very unusual colour of white!!!!! The trouble is, I don't like gold alloys and they are scuffed and need new tyres soon ish. Got a reduction of course! But would love someone to explain why I should consider a 17" set up. It seems loads of people go for the bigger wheels/tyres, but what effect does this have. Does it ride better? Handle better? Cost more in petrol? Etc. I'd also like to know if there is a way of taking a pic of my car and then superimposing some wheels, so I can get a good idea of what they'll look like. Found a site that did something similar, but their Imprezas don't come in white!!!

Any comments on tyres would be useful too, I gather most people go for Toyo's or the P zero's, is this correct or am I way off the mark?

Now just wait till someone actually goes to this bit of the site!!!!
Here's some pics of various white scoobs for some ideas
White Scoob Corner
Old 27 July 2004, 09:10 AM
Keef69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richiewong
Here's some pics of various white scoobs for some ideas
White Scoob Corner
Thanks for all that, some interesting set up's there.