ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Wheel size, help please. (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/347650-wheel-size-help-please.html)

Keef69 25 July 2004 05:08 PM

Wheel size, help please.

Picking up my first Scooby tomorrow, P reg STI in the very unusual colour of white!!!!! The trouble is, I don't like gold alloys and they are scuffed and need new tyres soon ish. Got a reduction of course! But would love someone to explain why I should consider a 17" set up. It seems loads of people go for the bigger wheels/tyres, but what effect does this have. Does it ride better? Handle better? Cost more in petrol? Etc. I'd also like to know if there is a way of taking a pic of my car and then superimposing some wheels, so I can get a good idea of what they'll look like. Found a site that did something similar, but their Imprezas don't come in white!!!

Any comments on tyres would be useful too, I gather most people go for Toyo's or the P zero's, is this correct or am I way off the mark?

Now just wait till someone actually goes to this bit of the site!!!!

markwild 25 July 2004 05:56 PM

Like Me .. (going to this bit, I mean....)

Going to 17s won't make a lot of difference to your petrol consumption - it will make the car look a bit better - and the handling may improve - but I'd have someone decent set up the geometry, as that'll improve it LOTS (like TSL)....

It will ride slightly harder, but not much - and you're probably OK with Toyo, but I prefer GoodYear F1 GSDs myself - down to personal choice I guess....

'Course, I'm running 18s :D

PS _ Prodrive went to 17s on the classic - so 'sort of' recommended, if you believe in that kind of thing ;)

richiewong 25 July 2004 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Keef69
Picking up my first Scooby tomorrow, P reg STI in the very unusual colour of white!!!!! The trouble is, I don't like gold alloys and they are scuffed and need new tyres soon ish. Got a reduction of course! But would love someone to explain why I should consider a 17" set up. It seems loads of people go for the bigger wheels/tyres, but what effect does this have. Does it ride better? Handle better? Cost more in petrol? Etc. I'd also like to know if there is a way of taking a pic of my car and then superimposing some wheels, so I can get a good idea of what they'll look like. Found a site that did something similar, but their Imprezas don't come in white!!!

Any comments on tyres would be useful too, I gather most people go for Toyo's or the P zero's, is this correct or am I way off the mark?

Now just wait till someone actually goes to this bit of the site!!!!

Here's some pics of various white scoobs for some ideas
White Scoob Corner :D

Keef69 27 July 2004 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by richiewong
Here's some pics of various white scoobs for some ideas
White Scoob Corner :D

Thanks for all that, some interesting set up's there.