Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Alignment in Surrey / SE London?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2004, 02:50 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment in Surrey / SE London?

Quick Q:

I know of Micheldever in Hampshire that have a good rep, but does anyone know a good place [to have camber checked] that might be a bit more local to me (Kingston area)?

Cheers
Old 29 June 2004, 03:31 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Merityre (Kingston Hill) couldn't do specific camber settings (only the standard settings!)
Shannon Corner Tyres couldn't do specific camber settings
RSR in Sutton couldn't do lowered cars
Power Engineering are quite expensive

I ended up using Michdever (again) and it only cost me £45!

If you just want it set up with standard settings, the guys at Merityre are quite good (and they open at 8.30am on a Saturday so you can beat the rush!)

If you want Prodrive or any other camber settings, best go to Micheldever, but bear in mind that you have to book a few weeks in advance and they want you there at 8am in the morning!!!

Last edited by Andy Tang; 29 June 2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 29 June 2004, 04:00 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Fabulous info - many thanks Andy. I discussed the Prodrive settings with Micheldever and I have an early start week Thurs!

Again, many thanks.

D

PS (edit) do you know if tyre wear is a factor in these settings? I ask as I have 'almost done for' tyres that will all be replaced after a trackday next month. Ohh and one of the tyres is taller! It's brand new after a puncture...

Last edited by Diesel; 29 June 2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 29 June 2004, 04:30 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Micheldever did mine, and they aren't that far, just a quick blast down the M3. Shouldn't take you more than an hour?
Old 30 June 2004, 04:48 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Prodrive settings with 1.5 degrees of negative camber (about right for maximum equal negative camber), I found the car a fantastic on the back raods and it really dug in on corners, but it felt a little twitchy on the motorway.

I ended up going for a compromise and getting 0.6 to 0.7 degrees of negative camber. It gave a more solid feel on the motorway, and improved handling on the back roads (over standard settings) but it did not increase the inner edge wear sometimes associated with running a lot of negative camber!
Old 30 June 2004, 04:58 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Top Tip - thanks Andy. I do more motorway miles than hammering on back roads (unf...) and was concerned about edge wear. D
Old 01 July 2004, 10:57 AM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

This opens up a whole new (to me) world. I have a standard MY01 WRX Bugeye - do I have to worry about set up? Or is this on upgraded vehicles with some kind of adjustable stuff. I thought this sort of thing was a quick visit to quickfit and slip a fiver to the bloke for checking wheel balance etc. You may laugh but please put me right. Does it have any link with all those threads about differing tyre types, tread wear, inflation psi and people's perceptions of how their vehicle handles? Mine stays in a straight line on flat perfect roads, so would appear to be fine. I have not noticed any extra wear on outside/inside edges of any tyres. Do I need to be aware of anything else?
Old 01 July 2004, 05:46 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The geom set up from the factory has a very wide tolerance, so a check up at a reputable place is always a good idea

Changing the settings for Camber etc is really down to personal choice. Do you "enjoy" the back roads
Most people change the settings when they lower the car as the geom has to reset anyway, so it's an ideal time to try different settings.
Old 02 July 2004, 10:40 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Totally agree. Have the geometry checked as tolerances are 'mass produced' out of the factory. Having all wheels 'spot on' makes the car feel better and is a good investment for a modest outlay. People here know where to go if you want to take it to Scooby experts!
Old 09 July 2004, 03:17 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I went to Micheldever yesterday and was REALLY impressed with their setup and service. I have never come across better, and they guys I dealt with SO knew what they were doing. Thanks for the advice.