Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Clicking noise from n/s/f wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2001, 09:26 AM
Rod Alcorn
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed a clicking noise from the n/s/f wheel when turning the steering wheel to the right. The clicking noise increases with speed and appears worse the further I turn the steering wheel. It does not happen when turning left. From visual inspection nothing appears untoward. Any ideas? Thank you.
Old 07 October 2001, 03:06 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation

What you driving? Mileage? Go on track?

It sounds like your n/s/f wheel bearing is starting to go

Get it checked ASAP. If you let it carry on, then there is the danger that it will damage the hub & then both will need replacing.

PTMW! had it's n/s/f bearing & hub changed @ 25k miles - but fortunately under warranty. It does appear that this bearing does go - both on cars that go on-track & those that don't - approx this mileage.

If you jack the car up, you will probably notice a bit of play if the wheel, which you wouldn't notice on the ground & would not be replicated on the o/s/f.

Good luck & let us know the info & what happens.

Old 08 October 2001, 11:27 PM
Rod Alcorn
Scooby Newbie

Sti V4 September 1998, 30,000 miles, previous owner (brother-in-law has taken onto track twice).

I called into the garage last week and described the problem. Without inspecting they said that a half drive shaft would need replacing and ordered one. They said that it was safe to drive in the meantime (my principal concern).

Following your reply (I did not advise them of the content) I telephoned them today to say that they could have the car all day tomorrow to inspect the vehicle and road test it if need be to ensure that they effect the correct repair the first time without unnecessary expense.

I will keep you informed.

Old 09 October 2001, 11:18 PM
Rod Alcorn
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

The vehicle was road tested today although I do not think that the wheel was taken off.

The CVJ at the wheel end has failed and needs replacing. Originally the price obtained for the part i.e the drive shaft and CVJs at both ends was £395 (!) plus an hour to fit. I have today been told that the CVJ at the diff end does not need replacing but the CVJ at the wheel end is fixed to the drive shaft so the price of the part should reduce!

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what repair was effected?

More to follow!

[This message has been edited by Rod Alcorn (edited 09 October 2001).]
Old 22 October 2001, 11:45 PM
JonJH
Scooby Regular

I've just had new discs, pads and hoses fitted to my MY99 and have noticed a similar clicking sound. Seems like one click per rotation, louder in reverse than going forward and stops when turning sharp right. Any clues? Is this also the bearings, or could it be something to do with the discs? It seems to be getting slightly less noticeable as the discs/pads bed in (only done 120 miles on them so far).

Now an important question: If it is bearings has anyone got views on whether I've totally messed up my chance to get this sorted under warranty as I've had the discs done?

Help please.

Thanks,
Jon