Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

what discs and pads would you recommend for my MY00??

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2004, 10:48 PM
zenyck100@hotmail.com
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what discs and pads would you recommend for my MY00??

as above and with an approximate price

cheers

Zen
Old 30 April 2004, 12:53 AM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zenyck100@hotmail.com
as above and with an approximate price

cheers

Zen
pads i'd go for pagid RS 4-2-1, I found them to bite a bit better then the Ferodo DS 2500 I had b4.

I had 2 sets of warped pagid discs , not from my driving style, so I'd recommend other discs, perhaps godspeed 2 piece disks,

But don't expect a huge increase in stopping power over standard, only better fade resistance IMO

sure someone else will be along with some more advice soon

Cal
Old 30 April 2004, 09:10 PM
BART!
Scooby Regular

Warped your Pagid discs .....no you didn't
Brakepad deposit causes heavy vibration in steering wheel... Trackdays ? Dismount dustcovers front and rear , make some coolhoses to cool down discs and allow discs to cool down last round...

I'm driving happily with 2e hand 'warped' Pagid discs that were returned due to 'complaints' ....(after 100 miles 'normal' driving the deposit mostly disappears) Especially the Pagid pads are very well performing but downside is that they are quite agressive towards the disc and as they don't show any fading....one keeps on pushing untill things get too hot....

It took me 4 sets of discs and about 10k Miles of trackdays to get things right....but now saving loads of money as replacing some AP discs or pads .....brrrrr
Old 30 April 2004, 09:31 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I had pagid discs and they do warp. My 1st set were replaced but 2nd set didnt even last a year and never saw a trackday. Then they went and cracked

Avoid pagid discs although the pads seem okay..just a little noisey when cold.

bob
Old 01 May 2004, 11:50 AM
crusher
Scooby Regular

On standard wheels on a My99 I replaced the standard scooby discs with 2 piece Godspeed discs,groved but not drilled.They were the thicker 28mm variety that requires you to put a spacer in the caliper so that you can get the pads in. The pads I used were Ds 2500. This combination was a definate improvement over standard,quiet in operation,dusty,but the dust washes off quiet easily...The main improvement is obviously in fade resistance, as the discs/calipers are really going to effect the same braking force...If you want better than this you need to look at Ap/Brembo/Willwood/Brakeman etc ...bigger rotas..calipers with more progression through unequal size pistons...but these will cost you approx double what it cost me If you mainly drive on the road I would say it's not really neccessary to go further..What size wheels have you got?...as may kits will require more space hence bigger wheels than standard.
As extra info,the disc quality in the Godspeed kit was excellent..only thing that let it down(might be different now) is that the Aluminium bell was not Anodised...discs wore really well,even a mate who doesn't usually like to make positive comments was impressed!...
Hope this helps...Godspeeds in Bridgend if that helps...

Last edited by crusher; 01 May 2004 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03 May 2004, 12:13 PM
BART!
Scooby Regular

They don't !

To all: Please send me your 'warped' Pagid discs , I'm happy to give them a second live
Old 03 May 2004, 11:20 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

I also have the godspeed kit. I can't fault the quality but if you do a search there is a few of us having wierd problems. The wheel wobbles under heavy braking. Not sure if there is a problem with the discs or just the pads we are using (all using Ferrodo pads). If you get this kit do not get these pads just to be sure.

Last edited by PhilA; 07 May 2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04 May 2004, 11:00 AM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PhilA
I also have the godspeed kit. I can't fault the quality but if you do a search there is a few of us having wierd problems. The wheel wobbles under heavy braking. Not sure if there is a problem with the discs or just the pads we are using (all using Ferrodo pads). If you get this kit do not get these pads just to be sure.
Never had any problems with vibration at all....bought my kit of parts about 18mths ago,so he may have changed something?....
Old 04 May 2004, 11:09 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using Ferodo DS2500 pads crusher?

Stefan
Old 04 May 2004, 01:07 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

it does seem to be people who bought it within the last 8/12 months and who are using the ferrodo's.

Last edited by PhilA; 07 May 2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04 May 2004, 01:25 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

To answer Ozzy,yea, I was using Ds 2500 pads..I only say was cos I've recently changed the car. I didn't buy the pads from Godspeed, not that I think that should make any difference. As mentioned in my earlier posts never had any problems...the only thing that I did that you may not have (again shouldn't make a difference)...was to drill a larger hole in the original retaining pins for the pads...as the caliper becomes wider with the spacers they won't fit otherwise. Didn't want to fit the splitpins that Ian provided...
Old 04 May 2004, 01:38 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

I'm agreeing with Bart - I thought I'd warped my new Pagid discs, but having read a lot into it I realised that my bedding-in technique must have been at fault and I'd just got a lot of friction material build-up. This led to some very bad vibrations when braking. Having bedded-in the discs properly now, I have got much-improved braking performance and am very happy with my Pagids. I think they're just very fussy on how they're bedded. Check with Alyn on this BBS - he's very helpful with advice.