Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

MY00 Ferodo DS2500 front - but is rear worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2004, 09:12 AM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY00 Ferodo DS2500 front - but is rear worth it ?

Need new pads all round on a MY00 - had DS2500 on the front the last time but are the rear DS2500 worth it over the standard subaru pads ? As the front does most of the stopping I am a bit reluctant to spend over £100 for some rear pads if it doesnt make any difference.

E.G. are the sapmotorparts rear pads at about £10 as good / same as subaru ones - anyone tried them ?

Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by Jim_B; 28 April 2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old 28 April 2004, 09:49 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Given the difference in cold bite, you'll likely lock up the rear with standard pads if you have to do an emergency stop with cold brakes.

I fitted DS2500s for that reason, but I think I paid a bit less than that from xtremescoobies.
Old 28 April 2004, 11:04 AM
crusher
Scooby Regular

had ds2500 on front of 99 for 18 mths ...standard rear pads were ok for road use IMHO...fronts were coming up for a change...rears were still original and ok...never had a rear lockup even under hard braking when pushing on...but car was wagon so had a bit more weight over rear end...would recon on having same pads front and rear on track though....
Old 28 April 2004, 11:46 AM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

Yep - I have been running std rears too as they didnt need replacing. Never had any problems, even did a couple of 15 min track sessions. If the price differential isnt much then I will go for DS2500 rear too. Have been quoted £75 for standard rear pads ! Seems a lot.

Last edited by Jim_B; 28 April 2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 28 April 2004, 12:19 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

ds2500 for 99/00 rears are £93 from Scoobymania...don't know if that includes postage..
Old 28 April 2004, 12:49 PM
Calvaire
Scooby Newbie

an advice , save mony on rear pads, when hard braking, 80% of the wheight goes in front. you have no benefits in the rear by replacing them.
Old 28 April 2004, 01:01 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

My standard rears used to lock-up. That's a lightweight RA though - may make a difference
Old 28 April 2004, 05:10 PM
xyzpaul
Scooby Regular

I recently had the same dilema on my MY99 and plumped for DS2500 front and rear. Now the rear brakes actually do something! Car brakes flatter and the rear disks are getting worn and generating brake dust. Having the same pad compound all round can only be beneficial.
Old 28 April 2004, 08:18 PM
Desert Fox
Scooby Regular

Try Star Performance in Scotland. They supply Stoptech Australian Race Pads up to ceramic cheaper I think than EBC etc. Also, they produce little or no dust. I just bought 2 slotted discs and front set of pads fpr £170. These are used in Australian touring car racing and in the US for racing, and are well thought of. Try the website.
Old 28 April 2004, 09:44 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Calvaire
an advice , save mony on rear pads, when hard braking, 80% of the wheight goes in front. you have no benefits in the rear by replacing them.
not true with uoprated fronts, i'm afraid........................when braking hard the front will "pitch" forward taking weight away from the rear and potentially overloading the front tyres limiting the braking effort you can exert, during this time the rear tyres are more likely to 'lock' and because fo the issues at the front of the car the only soloution is to reduce the overall braking effort to allow the car to recover grip!!

if you use a more aggressive rear pad this will have the effect of pulling the rear of the car down, limiting the pitching effectand allowing much greater braking force to be applied thro' all four wheels and keeping the car "flatter" during this time..................
hope this clarifies the situation, and is obviously more applicable to track type driving though can be experienced on the road under "emergency2 type stops!!

alyn - asperformane.com
Old 29 April 2004, 12:46 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Exactly what Alyn said.

I've found having decent pads on the rear certainly keeps the car flatter and more stable under heavy braking. Another one of those safety related bits IMHO, so why would you skimp if you can afford it?
Old 29 April 2004, 09:04 AM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

Settled then DS2500s all round. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 29 April 2004, 04:53 PM
Calvaire
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stockcar
not true with uoprated fronts, i'm afraid........................when braking hard the front will "pitch" forward taking weight away from the rear and potentially overloading the front tyres limiting the braking effort you can exert, during this time the rear tyres are more likely to 'lock' and because fo the issues at the front of the car the only soloution is to reduce the overall braking effort to allow the car to recover grip!!

if you use a more aggressive rear pad this will have the effect of pulling the rear of the car down, limiting the pitching effectand allowing much greater braking force to be applied thro' all four wheels and keeping the car "flatter" during this time..................
hope this clarifies the situation, and is obviously more applicable to track type driving though can be experienced on the road under "emergency2 type stops!!

alyn - asperformane.com
Alyn , original brakes without abs can lock the wheel without any problem especially in the rear, so a more aggressive pad would only lock the wheels earlier. That's what I've tried to do in the past..
To give an example, when you race with mini coopers you don't even use the rear brakes to avoid unecessay movements of the tail when hard braking. But this, of course, is a individual preference of the driver.
Old 29 April 2004, 05:45 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

But if you have the same pads on the front, the front will lock up first
Old 29 April 2004, 06:17 PM
Calvaire
Scooby Newbie

that will never happen, all the wheight is in front
Old 29 April 2004, 06:18 PM
Calvaire
Scooby Newbie

..ops ,sorry maybe with a carrera..
Old 29 April 2004, 08:27 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

front wheel drive cars react totally differently to 4wd under braking.................believe me, i would not spend silly amounts of money on the rear brakes of my competition cars for no reason!! (nor for that matter would Prodrive, ford, et al!!)
alyn - asperformance.com
Old 29 April 2004, 08:40 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

calvaire - do you own a subaru? if so, do your rear brakes lock first? i'd be very surprised.
Old 30 April 2004, 01:30 AM
Calvaire
Scooby Newbie

yes i own a wrx 01 modified, it goes well but it has a crap steering. Apart from that i also fitted a leda set of coilovers and the much discussed ferodo in the front , keeping the original disks. The only way I managed to lock front tyres (actually to activate the abs) is when braking on unregular or slippery sufaces. I never managed to lock the front tyres in other ways. Maybe if you install some monster brakes it might have that effect, but i'd rather perfer to lock rear ones before..