Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Discs and pads for track use.

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2001, 07:31 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What is the recommended type for track days, to be used in 4 pots, Tarox, Mintex etc etc. The car will mostly be used for track days so lower temperature operation is not a huge issue. Want good stuff, money is a small issue. So within reason.

Skip.
Old 23 May 2001, 08:03 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Skip, the way to go is uprated calipers (AP, Brembo, Etc.) with a bigger disc.

Dan
Old 23 May 2001, 08:06 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Dan

I know it is, have been trying to justify it, but money wise i can't afford it. It may happen in the future but in the mean time its going to have to be 4 pots.

Skip.
Old 23 May 2001, 08:37 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

As a lot of us have found - you will pay for it in the long run, better off biting the bullet and getting any of the larger disk / Caliper conversions.

But that aside, if you really don't want to

- Putting higher friction / temp pads onto standard disks will kill them (my STI disks on 4 pots with Pagid RS42 lasted less than one track day)

- Even the best aftermarket disk (IMHO the Pagid Group N+ from Scooby Sport) will still not last that long with nutter mental pads, my Pagids lasted 5 track days and then warped

- Remember to replace the brake fluid with high temp stuff while your at it

- IMO don't use cooling ducts, though I have no figures etc when I ran with some my disks warped, in retrospect I believe as the wheel moves about a lot it is impossible to point the air hoses accurately (if you have one cool bit of disk and one hot they could warp sooner)

IMO Pagid RS421 are the dogs danglies pads and are worth the extra. Bonus is you can use them on the road.
Old 23 May 2001, 08:41 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Oh almost forgot, when I ran with the RS421, the first track day I got through 1 (just run in) set of rear pads as well. That was on the MY98 solid rear disk which I've now replaced with the vented type and Pagid Fast road pad, no problem at all now and appears no wear (5 track days later).

Pagid RS421 Pads would have lasted about 4-5 days I believe (though you'd want to take a spare set on the 5th). Thats on a fairly light braking circuit (Goodwood).
Old 24 May 2001, 03:48 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Tarox ten pots
Old 24 May 2001, 10:38 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Gary, I have done three track days on the same set of rear pads. Maybe thats because of the front calipers? All the braking at the front and all that.

Dan
Old 25 May 2001, 09:07 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Skippy.
A good compromise would be to fit EBC discs combined with Yellow Stuff pads. The whole kit can be fitted by TN for around £300 I believe. I haven't used the discs myself as I have AP's, but Yellow Stuffs are great on track. They are fine on the road too.
Mintex 1155's are worth a look, especially if you can get them cheap.

My rear pads always last at least five track days! And I use completely standard pads!
I wish my front pads could last 4 or 5 events too, but I've not tried Pagids yet.

Stef.
Old 25 May 2001, 04:55 PM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Ferodo DS4003 with a group N grey iron disc seems to be a great all round set up, with plenty for track day, reasonable wear and dust, but need absolutely no heat for road use. (useful first thing in the morning). And they drop straight in your four-pots!.

Which ever set up you choose, the bedding in process has a huge effect on the bite and life of the set up. Try to bring heat into the pads very gently and smoothly at first, with delicate left foot dragging before a series of low speed stops, escalating in 10 mph increments until they're nice and warm and then a couple or three big'uns. Don't forget to have a nice cooling off run after as well!

Or fit BIG brakes of course!

Cheers

Paul