Tyre advise needed on late x reg scooby

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2001, 03:49 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

All,

Just examined my tires (16") at the weekend and was really shocked at how bad the front nearside tyre had worn in comparison to the rest. The outside edge of the tyre has worn badly, after 9,500 miles (4 months) and needs replacing. Am I attacking round-abouts to fast? I did notice about six weeks ago, after reading a thread on tire pressure that this one was inflated to 40 Psi, other were 35 ish. That is straight from the dealers. Could this be the reason for the wear?

Anyway, as many others are probably wondering what is the best tyres available to replace them with ? Currently its fitted with Bridgestones, and understeers badly if really pushed!! I am going to get the "Prodrive camber settings" adjusted, to try to sort this out, eventually I intend to go to Powerstation and have the bumpsteer mod done. I have not yet, as its a company car (at the moment) and do not want to spend too much of my own cash on it. I do not think Autolease will have an account with Powerstation. I am concerned that the bump steer mod might invalidate the warranty ?

Another question because I am lazy I took the car to Autospeed (shock horror!!, also saved me getting covered in brake dust). The nice young lad there said the tyre needed replacing soon, and to ensure that I replaced all four. That cannot be right can it, could understand two on one axle needing replacing. Not sure Autolease will like that, but good thing is my company owns the Scooby so will have to bribe the company fleet manager to sign it off.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway always been a Ford man for the last 14 years, and would never look at one again. Although the ford racing teams transit looked like the dogs on top gear!! My entire family loves the Scooby, probably more than we love one another!!

Cheers Phill C
Old 21 May 2001, 04:33 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

It is recommended that you change all four tyres at the same time - this ensures that the diffs don't overheat due to differentail radii of the wheels - and also that you don't overheat by spinning off badly - this is a performance car!

Bridgestone S02s or S03s will embarrass the OEM tyres - both are very good and will cost £4-600 depending on who and where they get fitted.

R
Old 21 May 2001, 10:19 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

it may be recommended to change all 4 but we fit tyres in singles and pairs with out any adverse effects on anything. the scooby set up can handle the slight difference in tyre size without a problem unlike the wrangler jeep set up
Old 22 May 2001, 10:39 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear it, as I only ever change 2 at a time, due to fronts wearing quicker than the rears!

Jim