Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Houston, do I have a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2001, 05:43 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just know something ain't quite right...

I recently put EBC greens on the front. Didn't change the discs.

Few hundred miles on and I'm thinking: "Hey, I have to press a bit harder than before - that can't be right." Still stop me fine, but they don't bite quite as nicely...

So I had a look at the discs (not that that means an awful lot to me). The ol' finger test showed they seemed a bit bumpy, like dragging across small ridges. When I ran my digit over the back discs, smooth as a baby's whatsit!

All of which made me wonder if something's amiss. Or am I just paranoid?

Contributions gratefully accepted (hopefully saying all is well and this is typical of front discs cos I'm now virtually broke...).

David Blows

PS Why am I nearly broke? Not because of the cost of the wonderful Wax Wizarding I had last week, not the chips away guy the day before. No, it was the little sod on a pushbike who slammed into me just 3 days after all that vast expense on tarting up the car. His bloody handlebars went smack into the bonnet, straight through the paintwork and dented it to boot. £185 to fix it - that's why I need reassurance on my brakes!!!!!!!
Old 18 May 2001, 08:19 PM
rnr
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sorry to hear that David. Rich N Rach
Old 18 May 2001, 09:50 PM
jasonp
Scooby Regular

both discs should be smooth. It may well have been the old pads that scored the disc rather than the new greenstuffs. but not sure that would affect the braking unless they are really bad or you have greese on them. were they fitted properly i.e. at a garge??

Jason
Old 19 May 2001, 01:44 AM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

EBC Greenstuff take about 500 miles to bed in under normal conditions, if your discs are scored it may take a little longer. Don't worry about it for a while.

The first time I fitted Greenstuff pads they also seemed to need warming up by braking a couple of times from cold, once there was a few hundred miles of use on them there was excellent bite from cold.

Give them another couple of weeks then see what you think.
Old 21 May 2001, 09:42 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments Jason and Andrew. Very helpful. I haven't done 500 miles yet (almost) so I'll hang on the panic button for now. And, at the risk of trying to convince myself all is well, when I tried the finger test again tonight (sic), the discs did *seem* more even...

More as it happens.

Rich - thanks for the sympathy. Know what the real sod is? You told me that you'd got spot light covers. Sounded a good idea. Just about to get some and guess what happened? It's not been a good week...
Old 22 May 2001, 06:53 PM
rnr
Scooby Regular

Red face

DOH,