Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2001, 12:05 AM
Arron
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by cwal1:
<B>Arron,

When you say the pedal is still spongy, is this at a stand still, all the time when moving or just during hard braking ?

How spongy is spongy - I don't think it is possible to eliminate all sponginess with the standard setup but you should be able to get good feel and a progressive linear build up of braking power for an equivalent build up of braking effort.

What fluid are you using?

When you bleed them do you see any air bubbles escaping. Also do you only allow the fluid 1 pass through the caliper or do you re-use the fluid?

Have you bedded the pads in properly?

Sorry for all the questions but you need to explain your exact circumstances in order to get relevant advice.

Chris.

[This message has been edited by cwal1 (edited 26 January 2001).][/quote]

Thanks for the reply Chris.

The pedal is spongy almost all the time.

Fluid dot 5.1.

Yes, there are air bubbles.

Never re-use fluid always clean and new.

Hope this is better.

If you have any other comments my no is 01322-286117.

Old 26 January 2001, 10:55 AM
Arron
Scooby Regular

After changing from std 2 pots to 4 pots on my my98 I still have a spongy pedal ,I hoped this would be cured by upgrading, brakes have been blend lots of time but can't loose it . Had the disks grooved with rs42 pagid blue pads and hoped they would be loads better , they are when you need to stop but the pedal feel is just no different, then got braided hoses all round and still no better .

Any ideas.
Old 26 January 2001, 11:29 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Question

Arron,

When you say the pedal is still spongy, is this at a stand still, all the time when moving or just during hard braking ?

How spongy is spongy - I don't think it is possible to eliminate all sponginess with the standard setup but you should be able to get good feel and a progressive linear build up of braking power for an equivalent build up of braking effort.

What fluid are you using?

When you bleed them do you see any air bubbles escaping. Also do you only allow the fluid 1 pass through the caliper or do you re-use the fluid?

Have you bedded the pads in properly?

Sorry for all the questions but you need to explain your exact circumstances in order to get relevant advice.

Chris.

[This message has been edited by cwal1 (edited 26 January 2001).]
Old 26 January 2001, 01:10 PM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Arron,

I'll assume the pads and disks are bedded in correctly.

I may not have been clear in the other post but regarding re-use of the fluid but what I meant was that when you bleed them you should use brand new fluid and only let the fluid pass through once. Therefore if it takes 3 bottles of fluid, so be it, don't be tempted to recirculate fluid that has been through the caliper as it way have absorbed small quantities of air and water.

If the pedal is soft all the time and you are using braded hoses I would sugges that you've still got air in them. The next step in my opinion would be to attempt to bleed them with the calipers of their brackets and supported as high up as possible so that the air can naturally flow upwards and out. When they're on the car the caliper is the lowest point and any air trapped will naturally try to back up the brake lines.

Also may be worth giving the brake support bracket a go.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

BTW. Have you checked for leaks around the master cylinder area, have you noticed any loss of fluid etc. ?
Old 26 January 2001, 01:36 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

My std 4-pots gave relatively poor feel, and even with better pads and discs, the feel didn't really improve. HOWEVER.... fitting braided lines, DOT5.1 fluid and Brake support Bracket made a big difference £100 all in
Old 26 January 2001, 01:38 PM
Arron
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by cwal1:
<B>Arron,

I'll assume the pads and disks are bedded in correctly.

I may not have been clear in the other post but regarding re-use of the fluid but what I meant was that when you bleed them you should use brand new fluid and only let the fluid pass through once. Therefore if it takes 3 bottles of fluid, so be it, don't be tempted to recirculate fluid that has been through the caliper as it way have absorbed small quantities of air and water.

If the pedal is soft all the time and you are using braded hoses I would sugges that you've still got air in them. The next step in my opinion would be to attempt to bleed them with the calipers of their brackets and supported as high up as possible so that the air can naturally flow upwards and out. When they're on the car the caliper is the lowest point and any air trapped will naturally try to back up the brake lines.

Also may be worth giving the brake support bracket a go.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

BTW. Have you checked for leaks around the master cylinder area, have you noticed any loss of fluid etc. ?[/quote]

Thanks again Chris.

I never use old fluid always new and all pads and disks were bedded together the correct way.I shall try again over the weekend and if no different I will take to Pete @ Scoobysport ( thanks Pete ).

Old 26 January 2001, 02:11 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Arron, speak to Geoff at Hi-Spec (Based in Dartford!) Get him to re-bleed your brakes. Air bubbles are one cause of soft pedal. 01322 286850

Dan
Old 26 January 2001, 10:44 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Hmmm
I had same problem, std discs were well worn after 10K. Dealer took note of it but said they felt on a par with other Impreza's he had.
Cut a long story short, after 20K dealer has now replaced discs and pads (warranty)and the difference is unbelievable, absolutely superb now. Service bod told me the discs fitted were of a different makeup to my originals. Prior to this he had bled the brakes and changed the fluid but pedal was always spongy 'til now

A