The EBC disc / pad upgrade MYTH?..

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2000, 07:39 AM
Marcos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Just done over 600 miles with my new EBC greenstuff pads and grooved discs and I can say (after careful bedding) that I think they are worse than the original Subaru setup! No initial bite and it seems to require more effort.

The Driver side seems to squeel alot aswell...

SO - is this upgrade all in the driver's mind? I took the advice of many garages/posts on the site only to really be 'let' down by the reality of less effective braking!

Has anybody else found this...or will I notice better braking after say another 1000 miles...or 60,000 miles....

cheers

marcus

95WRX, 2 pot brakes.
Old 24 November 2000, 09:40 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Green Stuffs + Tarox discs are excellent, so I can only think it's either your disks or your car..
Old 24 November 2000, 03:00 PM
soutm
Scooby Regular

Marcos, sorry to hear that.
I have this combination on my 99 model.
Best 260.00 I've spent for a long time.
Bleed the brakes would be the next cheap option I guess.

Regards Mark
Old 26 November 2000, 08:59 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Marcos,

I fitted EBC pads & discs to my '93 WRX in the summer, and they are miles better than the std items. I think EBC reccomned 1,000 miles of bedding-in before the brakes work at their best.

As suggested - try bleeding the bakes to see if that makes a difference ...... otherwise try using the brakes progressively harder over the next few hundred miles.

The discs are coated from new, and this takes some time to remove completely.

If there is no improvement, try checking that the calipers haven't ceased.
Old 26 November 2000, 09:42 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

1000 miles, oh pants! Last year I only managed 3000mls.

I was thinking of the EBC combo. Changed my mind after reading the first post.

Do you get the same thing with Mintex 1155 and Tarox, for example?

P.
Old 27 November 2000, 04:26 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Marcos.
Which way are the grooves pointing on your discs? They should be pointing to the rear.
Some discs may have been fitted in error due to a misprint on early fitting instructions.

Stef.
Old 27 November 2000, 09:06 PM
YOUNG GED
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi Marcos

Don't feel to alone your not the only one

I changed to Greenstuff pads and scoobysport group N discs about 3 months ago and have had the same problems as yourself.
At the cars last service a month or so after changing I had the fluid changed and one side was found to be binding slightly,but even after sorting this they only feel slightly better.I know of one other person who has also had the same experience with these pads as well and in the end gave up and changed them.
I've just got some standard Ferodo pads to try in mine to see if it makes a difference.
I'm also now getting a vibration through the steering wheel when braking reasonably hard which at a guess is warped disks

Chris

[This message has been edited by YOUNG GED (edited 27 November 2000).]
Old 30 November 2000, 12:21 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I went from using EBC Greens with UK std discs to using Tarox discs and Mintex 1155 pads. The difference is astounding.

I admit that the discs were knackered, and the EBC pads probably were not as efficient as they should have been with badly grooved discs. However I'm very happy with my current combo.

I've used EBC greens, black, std Subaru pads, and various others for hillclimbing / sprinting and odd track days.
To be honest I didn't really like the feel of the EBC's. The mintex pads are great from cold, and don't leave you thinking "oh my god" when you first brake, unlike some I've tried ~ but then they were fitted as a test by the guy who (re)built my Subaru.

Mark.

Old 30 November 2000, 07:31 AM
Marcos
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I've now done about 1.5k miles with progressively harder braking - there really is NO difference - I firmly believe it's a bit of a myth and I should have just saved the pounds for 4 pots...but they won't fit my 16inch wheels :-(

The pads and discs are correctly set up, recent fluid replacment etc the only other thing my mechanic says to do (who drives an EVO with HUGE brembo brakes) is to reduce travel in the brake pedal....there does seem to be a lot on this '95 model - this will hopefully give it more feel?

My advice now (for what its worth) is to only change your pads/discs on a normal 2 pot system when you 'really' have to due to wear + tear ! I don't think it has anything to do with the make of pads or discs...the old 2 pot system is hopeless.

...better save up for an EVO or STi6 or RB5 or P1.....

cheers

marcus

PS just bought an old V-Spec MX5 Eunos - lots of fun - and great brakes!!!!!!
Old 30 November 2000, 02:23 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Cool

A mate of mine used EBC Green pads on his Saxo and was very unimpressed, reverting back to OE pads withing 10,000 miles.

I replaced my O.E. pads on my MY97 Impreza two-pots with Mintex 1155s and (following the 10 minute bedding in procedure) they were an absolute revelation. The standard pads became almost useless after a couple of hard applications, whereas the Mintex pads just kept on going and going ...

I now have Mintex M1155s teamed up with grooved Black Diamond discs. They don't seem to perform as well with these disks, with a very loud hum when braking hard from speed, and an increase of pedal travel, feeling altogether less eager.

Biggest problem with both combos has been pad knock-off (I think that's the correct term!) I.e. after a section of fast-road driving where the discs & pads get hot, the pedal requires a couple of pumps to get it back up to maximum efficiency next time you use the brakes.

Would love the AP set-up but I have to pay for things like food and stuff too!

A.
Old 02 December 2000, 04:09 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

First pad change. EBC greens on standard disks. Vast improvement! - I'm happy

Mick