Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Wheel size, ride, handling...

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2004, 09:33 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheel size, ride, handling...

I have read threads in the past where wheel size / handling has been hotly debated.

What will the effect of changing from 16s to 17s be, if any? I am changing for looks but don't want to sacrifice performance. I am presuming at this size it wont make a lot of difference, but I would like a better understanding.

Cheers

Matt
Old 22 March 2004, 07:44 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

I tried a wheel swap this weekend and have the bruised knuckles to prove it.

I tried a set of 17's with Toyo's on them, my first impressions were that the ride quality had decreased. I then took the car over my favourite route- 5 miles of almost deserted twisty dual carriageway in the mountains. It seemed to me that the car wasn't handling the roads imperfections as well as it did on the old 16's. It seemed to tramline more and follow the ruts in the road. The car seemed to ride a lot harder without cornering flatter if that makes any sense.

Decided I couldn't live with the 17s put the old 16's back on (205/50/16 Toyos)then went on the same run. The car didn't tramline as much, dealt with road imperfections better but didn't look as good. As I don't care about cosmetics, after all I have an Impreza, merely dynamics I'll be sticking with the 16's.

Are 17's regarded as the ultimate for the Impreza? Maybe for the more sophisticated cars but a lightly modded UK 'classic' like mine seemed far better on 16's.
Old 22 March 2004, 11:01 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback NACRO. Hmmmm got me wondering what to do now! At least you had a chance to try 'em out.

Think I'll copy this to General as well. Seems to be a lack of response considering the number of ppl who change their wheels!

Cheers

Matt
Old 22 March 2004, 12:22 PM
Dougy Giro
Scooby Regular

Its like anything - its a trade off !

I presume you're gonna go with lower profile tyres (to keep tha same rolling radius) therefore there's less tyre wall - therfore less forgiveness in the tyre.

This makes for better handling / response etc but has the slight detremantal effect of a harsher ride !

As for tram lining - this is partley down to the type of tyre (i thought Toyo's were supposed to be good - dunno coz i aint had em) but from my experience its more likely you're suspension geometry !

I had 17's on, then went to powerstation for the full 4 wheel alignment etc - and what a difference ! it was superb - turn in, responseivenes etc all so much better - the best £80 you can spend to make you get round the corners faster!

I then put some 18's on a few weeks later with (235/35/18 tyres), and yes the ride was a little harsher, only over the very rough single country lanes does it get a bit unbareable! But certanly doesnt seem to me to slow me down !

Just my experiences mate - dunno if its right but thats what i feel.

Cheers
Dave
Old 22 March 2004, 10:08 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I have 17" wheels on my MY98 WRX and it is fine now with new tyres on. When I changed from the 16" wheels (205/50/16) to the 17" (215/40/17) it was very harsh and tramlined as mentioned above.

Its alot better now with 205/45/17 tyres, but not as good as the 16's!!