Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2004, 10:34 AM
Funky_Monkey323
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Calipers

I have an MY96, the car has standard brake calipers. Early ones I think.
Is it possible to but the later ones on the car, just by swapping them over.

The ones I've got in mind have subaru written on the side of them in raised lettering.

Any thoughts??

Ed
Old 20 March 2004, 11:34 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

Loads of people do this, it's a straightforward swop.
IIRC, you also need the larger discs, and may need at least 16" wheels too.

Unfortunately, the supply of the newer, 4-pot, calipers is drying up somewhat, as there are kits on the market now to allow their owners to uprate them, using larger, thicker discs, so people aren't selling them as often.

Have a look at the Godspeed site, some good stuff on there!
www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk

Alcazar
Old 20 March 2004, 04:36 PM
Funky_Monkey323
Scooby Regular

The car has 16 inch wheels on it, as standard, and the car I thinking of getting the calipers from is in a scrap yard from a MY98/99.

Don't they have the same size discs on them??

Ed
Old 20 March 2004, 06:38 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

your discs are 277mm the 4pot's your looking at are 295mm discs.............get them as a 'combo' and all will be well!!
** just make sure that your wheels will clear this set-up as not all 16" wheels do..................
hope this helps,
alyn - asperformance.com
Old 21 March 2004, 05:07 PM
Funky_Monkey323
Scooby Regular

thanks alyn

I have the 16 inch 5 spokes as apposed to the 6 spokes on the MY98, do you know off hand if they will fit.

I expect what I'll do is get the calipers and then uprate the discs to drilled and grooved in the 295mm. I have the 277mm d&g discs at the mo and have not been too displeased with them, although the pagid pads I'm using do tend to suffer with brake fade, as I found out at Japfest last year.

Probably go green stuff or mintex next, uless you could suggest a better option.

Will the discs and calipers fit straight onto the hubs??

Ed
Old 21 March 2004, 07:42 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

discs and calipers are a straight swap................not sure about the wheels, don't see many std cars!!

are you sure its the pads causing fade (exactly what spec are they as Pagid make various!!), what symptoms do you get?? there are various causes not always related to material........
alyn- - asperformance.com
Old 21 March 2004, 08:27 PM
Funky_Monkey323
Scooby Regular

Alyn

well, ever since Japfest last year a problem has developed that it would seem that the brake discs are warped.

There is a strange noise under braking coming from the passenger side, like a kind of squeeking, but not a metal on metal grind.

I swapped the discs round between the fronts but the noise remained.

At first it would only do it on full right lock in reverse, so I thought it was a CV and replaced the drive shaft, but the noise continued.

So I've started playing the elimination game again, someone suggested it could be a bearing in the gearbox, but I would have thought that the noise would have been fairly constant and not limited to braking.

Next up I changed the wheel bearing, but to no avail to noise is still there.

Now It seems that whenever I reverse then press the brake to stop there is excessive pedal travel and this remains after to press the brake in a foward direction, but the second depression of the pedal brings it back to the top again.

I've checked the ABS unit and everything seems fine, I've bled the brakes all round and replaced the fluid.

I've changed the bottom ball joint and checked for movement in all the bushes. There does seem to be a small amount of play in the NSF caliper hence the question for changing them over to the four pot's. I've bought new slide bars and seals for the caliper but as yet have not had chance to fit them, but to honest I don't think it will cure it.

The pads are pagid fast road, and the discs are black diamond drilled and grooved, when driving at normal road speeds every so often to car drags to the left as if the tracking is really far out, but i've had the 4 wheel aligned and the camber checked and everything is in order.

I'm really lost as I've almost explored every avenue of exploration.

Any thoughts

Ed
Old 21 March 2004, 11:13 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ed

Don't use Green stuff. You must use Reds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 March 2004, 08:13 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

sounds like a sticky caliper, or the pads being stuck in the metal shims giving the same effect.....................strip, clean and try again...................

to be honest the "fast road" range is normally not too bad on the road (but at the end of the day is only uprated O.E. type)..................obviously depends on what use / abuse you put your car to??! as this pad is not really up to sustained hard use

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 23 March 2004, 07:59 AM
Funky_Monkey323
Scooby Regular

okay, i'll have go this weekend and let you know what the result is. What pads would you recommend for fast/fairly hard track??