Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Bridgestone Vs Toyo: A Show Of Hands Please

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2000, 12:07 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used Bridgestone S-02s (205/50 VR16) on my Legacy 4CAM and they were great. Changed from the original RE-020s at around 20k miles and ran S-02s for another 45k miles. I now run a Legacy RS and put S-02s (215/45 ZR17) on when the original RE-010s were done. I'm now on my second set of S-02s, the first set having served for nearly 20k miles as well. I've never had any problems with them and never had any "moments", even with the 280PS that the RS is reputed to have.

I have driven a standard Impreza with Proxes-S1s and thought the sidewalls were a little soft (only my humble opinion), although I didn't check to see whether the tyre pressures were as I'd like them (generally +2psi over recommendation all round).

Not sure if this helps you. I know from previous posts that different people have different preferences, and a lot depends on how you drive the car. The tests I've seen rated S-02s best but I reckon you can't go too far wrong buying any premium tyre that you're happy with.

Brian
Old 29 June 2000, 12:18 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Once again, it's worth noting that Bridgestone themselves DO NOT recommend using S02's in 205/50 16 on an Impreza.
There must be a reason for this.

Stef.
Old 29 June 2000, 12:36 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Cool

Talking to Mr. Sideways (Simon de Banke) he rated the S02's as having the most ultimate grip, but the the Toyos were nearly as good and let go gently on the limit, as opposed to the s02 which let go big time. Simon has probably driven more Subarus than most on this BBS and his opinion is generally well respected. The Toyos are also a lot cheaper. Prices appear to be about 80-95 a corner for toyos and 100-120 a corner for S02. I have Toys btw and am more than happy with them.
Old 29 June 2000, 12:47 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Rider,

Am going through the same issue at the moment, time to replace tyres on MY98 with standard 16" rims. I am leaning towards SO2's as I have not heard anything to suggest there is a better tyre on the market for my type of use - mainly weekend driving with the occassional track day. I have managed 19k out of my OE bridgestones and am not too worried about the life of the new tyres if they improve the handling of the car.

Best price I have found so far is from Elite in Dagenham £430 all in for the 16" versions.

If you know of anywhere cheaper let me know please,

Yex
Old 29 June 2000, 12:59 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Question

Stef,

It seems people still aren't listening to Bridgestone and fitting the S02's on their 16" rims. Do you know why Bridgestone do not recommend this?

I was probably going to get S02's on my car (205/50R16) but am thinking against this now. Toyo T1's then? What tyres do you run Stef?

Oh... more choices, decisions etc. life is too hard .

Tone.
Old 29 June 2000, 10:58 AM
Rider
Scooby Regular

All right. I've looked through the archive and am still no wiser on this subjective decision. I'm running an MY99 UK car with standard 16" rims and the standard fit Brigdestones. They're getting a bit thin, and I want to know what the collective thoughts are on Toyo Proxes S-1 Vs slapping another set of Potenzas on?

Come on, you know you love talking tyres! Answers from owners with standard wheels would give me the best guide.
Old 29 June 2000, 11:03 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Talking

Doesn't look as though theres many out here with standard wheels left.
Old 29 June 2000, 01:24 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Anyone tried Eagle F1? on 16's
Old 29 June 2000, 01:36 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I am now on my third set of Toyo T1S. I have driven imprezas on many other types of tyre, and the toyo is definitely my personal favourite. I prefer a tyre that has a nice progressive breakaway characteristic to one that grips a bit more but gives away suddenly... hence I would not recommend Continental Contisport Contact tyres for a scooby... they are just short of dangerous!

Moray
Old 29 June 2000, 02:21 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Stef,

Don't doubt your word, but do you know why and where Bridgestone say this?

Cheers,

Greg
Old 29 June 2000, 03:33 PM
Rider
Scooby Regular

Yex,
It's a nightmare, isn't it?! I'm leaning towards the Toyos, though, particularly with the info from Stef, which I've actually heard a couple of times now.

I used to have them on my Integra, and the Sub seems OK on the RE10 Bridgestones but everyone keeps going on about Proxes. If they're cheaper than Bridgestone then I'll try them, I think. Anyone rate P-Zeros on standard rims?
Old 29 June 2000, 04:31 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I do not know the exact reasons Bridgestone say this, but it is unusual for a tyre manufacturer to advise people against buying one of their tyres unless there is a good reason. I think it is something to do with the sidewall flex or something, but I could be mistaken. Several people have been told the same thing by a number of Bridgestone dealers, perhaps someone could ring Bridgestone and find out? I don't really care as I personally use Toyo Proxes and have to say I am very happy with them.

Stef.
Old 29 June 2000, 08:35 PM
MarkL
Scooby Regular

Rider,

If memory serves, a few people were unhappy with the handling on S-02's, and somebody (either Nick Hill or Micheldever Tyres) contacted Bridgestone to get their response. Bridgestone said they didn't recommend the tyres for the Scoob, I believe because they hadn't tested them explicitly. I think the emphasis here is that they don't RECOMMEND them, NOT that they recommend that you don't use them.

I and many others use S-02's on 16" rims and I am very happy with their performance. The OEM Bridgestones are an accident waiting to happen in comparison -- even when they were running in the S-02 had as much (if not more) grip in the wet than my old, worn OEM Bridgestones had when I replaced them.

I haven't tried the Toyos, and they seem like a bargain given the price and the reviews they seem to get from people on here. The S-02 are a fantastic tyre though.

Finally, last December's tyre-test (using a Scoob with 16" wheels) rated the S-02 as the best performance tyre, with the Goodyear Eagle F1 equal on points but not as good an all-round performer.
Old 29 June 2000, 08:46 PM
Nir
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

[This message has been deleted]

[This message has been edited by Nir (edited 01-07-2000).]
Old 30 June 2000, 08:02 AM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

17" so different proposition. My car had Toyos fitted when I bought it and they were impressive, but having replaced them with SO2s, the SO2s are a class above, but do take getting used to. They bed in in after a couple of hundred miles, but it takes longer to get used to feeling the tread moving under cornering, but once you do, they are the 'mutts nuts'
Old 30 June 2000, 02:04 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Yex, You made find the s02 toooo soft for trackdays, apparently they don't last too well.
Old 30 June 2000, 02:17 PM
Rider
Scooby Regular

Smile

Oh, those Toyos are nosing ahead…
Old 30 June 2000, 05:46 PM
Ian Coulter
Scooby Regular

I ran the RE010s for about 15k miles and then decided to try the SO2s. I the for £430 all in and ran them for about 5k miles and was very happy with them. I certainly prefer them to the RE010s in the cold and wet, although they are about half worn already.

However, I have just gone back to RE010s because I have bought a set of the ex P1 gold rims and tyres. I plan to run these during the summer(?) and use them for track days, switching back to the S02s during the winter months.

When these RE010s are worn out, I would have no hesitation in replacing them with S02s.

Don't know if this helps or not.

Regards,

Ian
Old 30 June 2000, 05:48 PM
Ian Coulter
Scooby Regular

I ran the RE010s for about 15k miles and then decided to try the SO2s. I got them for £430 all in and ran them for about 5k miles and was very happy with them. I certainly prefer them to the RE010s in the cold and wet, although they are about half worn already.

However, I have just gone back to RE010s because I have bought a set of the ex P1 gold rims and tyres. I plan to run these during the summer(?) and use them for track days, switching back to the S02s during the winter months.

When these RE010s are worn out, I would have no hesitation in replacing them with S02s.

Don't know if this helps or not.

Regards,

Ian
Old 02 July 2000, 01:09 AM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

BHORT

I fitted Eagle F1's during the winter, as I could not get the Toyo at this point in time and have never looked back. Great grip in the wet and no real complaints in the dry. Never had the car on the track, though drive passed Knockhill several times a week, one of my favourite bits of road.

Enjoy.
Old 02 July 2000, 11:00 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

rider
i have just changed my OE 16" wheels 2 weeks ago to toyo's for £344 all in. all i know is that they are great so much more grip than the standard tyres. less understeer and 4 wheel power slides are much easier. there is a tight round about in my way home every day and what i know is i can take it a lot faster now

sam
Old 03 July 2000, 12:13 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Looks like I'll get the best of both worlds now. I've just bought a new set of wheels and tyres from a fellow scoobynet member straight out of the box so to speak. So the wheels currently on my car will be thrashed stupid on the next available track day I can get to before putting a set of slicks on them.....more money to smuggle past her indoors

For information the best price I could get on S 02's was £432 all in from Elite in Rainham, Essex

Yex
Old 03 July 2000, 11:04 AM
Rider
Scooby Regular

Hmm, £344 eh? I've just been quoted £93 per corner from an outfit in Ipswich, and I don't think that's too bad a price. My RE10s are 15500 miles old now, and although the shoulders are very tatty, there still seems to be a fair amount of tread on them. Clearly I'm driving like a vicar or something!
Think the Toyos are the winner, though. No-one seems to have complained about them, and that kind of money seems very reasonable for a performance tyre!
Thanks to everyone for the help. I know tyres are subjective depending on how and where you drive, but it's good to know that if you ask, enough SIDC members will offer an opinion.
Old 03 July 2000, 01:41 PM
DLG
Scooby Newbie

Rider,

If you are looking for Toyo Proxes in the Suffolk area try Autopoint at Thetford. Have just replaced OE RE010 with T-1's for around £85 per corner with them. Vast improvement over the Bridgestones.

Dave
Old 03 July 2000, 03:01 PM
Rider
Scooby Regular

Nice one Dave. I'm on the Essex/Suffolk border, so anywhere around Colchester and Ipswich is OK. Thetford? Hmm. Does the £32 saving all round cover the cost of all the extra petrol I'd use?!
Old 04 July 2000, 10:10 PM
PhilCapes
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Swapped to s-02s after 20,000 miles(ish) on the RE-10s and noticed a significant improvement in ride quality (softer sidewalls?) and overall improvement in handling (or was it just more comfy?) The decision was based partly on last year's Autocar tyre test (where the S-02 edged out the Goodyear F-1 and the test car was an Impreza) and partly on received opinion via the Bulletin Board. Since then I've had the Prodrive suspension pack fitted and the ride has hardened up significantly but the thing handles like a go-kart. Would I go down the same route again. Yup.
Old 18 July 2000, 05:29 PM
rupertu
Scooby Regular

I've been quoted £90 a corner for Toyo Proxes, ex VAT, valve and balancing which doesn't seem a bad first pass price does it? (local ATS).

The OEM Bridgestone tyres are *****ed in only 8500 miles, why is that, doesn't bode well really i suppose.......
Old 18 July 2000, 06:15 PM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

17" SO2s can be sourced from £105+VAT fully fitted, 16" should be c£20 cheaper, so £90+VAT for Toyos sounds rediculous
Old 18 July 2000, 09:07 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Mike Owen

Here, here...... Eagle F1`s, excellent on 16`s, i loved `em !

Paul
Old 18 July 2000, 10:25 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Puff TMW has got to put his say in

I found that RE10s were pretty hard & pretty poo. On REVS shootout, they were absolute cr@p, with little or no front grip at all. I was the originator of Drive Through Understeer on this BBS (as a driving skill ) & the Potenzas just help this along. Go into any corner at a little over necessary & the front will wash away. At the shootout, I was attempting to bring the back out to get some steerage in at all, going slower only meant washing out at a slower speed. They inspired, in me, little or no confidence at all.

SO2s OTOH are absolute brill. Since fitting them, the only problem has been my inhibitions regarding MY99 & the scenery. Apart from the warm up lap at Snetterton, I have not lost grip at all & that includes rain at the same speeds. Much confidence inspiring.

Regards track, 150 miles at Snetterton did not cause my new tyres to go off. Towards the latter part of the day, I was on for 30 mins at a time 'cos they were new, there was the obvious shaving/ribbing of the N/S/F & I probably lost 2mm overall, if that. Not bad.

Only other difference was "Prodrive Settings" but if that & SO2s produce the different car that I had in 1 month, then it's got to be done. RE10s combined with PS would NOT have elicited the same results.

Stef

When I saw you on Sat, you said that you had not been impressed with the performance of your T1s at REVS day - or did I miss-hear you?

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Vs Toyo: A Show Of Hands Please