Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

running directional tyres other way on tracks?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2000, 03:41 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

does anyone know if you can run the directional tyres in the opposite direction on tracks and what results etc would happen.

after the easytrack day on the 24th the left hand side tyres are worn a lot more than the right (expected)

As most tracks run clockwise.rather than get all 4 tyres reversed on the rims could i swop the right and left hand side wheels or would the grip etc go to pot? all are the oem bridgestones on 16" which i kept for track use only.

simon
Old 26 July 2000, 03:54 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Simon I was at the easytrack day and totally killed my front left tyre in the first couple of sessions and then changed it over with the right hand one for the last few sessions without any problems.

Jake
Old 26 July 2000, 09:45 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Simon, my first track day at Donno, I ran by mistake my tyres around the wrong way. Handeling was all over the place. Don't do it. You'll spend more time off the track than on it.

Dan
Old 27 July 2000, 09:20 AM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Don't do it on a 4WD car
It is often used on the front wheels for RWD cars to getter better braking, and I have seen some FWD Gr N rally cars using it on the rear wheels, this will give them more "Trailer braking" and make it easier to slide it into the corner. But I think you are asking for trouble if you do it on the the Impreza
Lars
Old 27 July 2000, 04:21 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Question

I thought the tread was only there to get rid of water !?

So if the track is dry then it shouldn't be a problem and if the track is wet then it will be a nightmare as the reveresed tread will be trying to pull water under the tyre.
Old 27 July 2000, 07:05 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

I thought the same as Alistair.

Are we saying that there is a difference in the carcass of the tyre too ?

I don't think there is a difference when it comes to handling sideways forces otherwise they would be marked inside and outside which my s02's don't seem to be.

Maybe there is a difference when it comes to handling braking and acceleration. The scoob can brake at about 1G at pretty much any speed whereas it can only accelerate at 1G through part of first gear(one of only a few road cars that can),by third the acceleration is probably down to less than 0.3G so they might be constructed differently to account for this.If this was the case and you reversed the tyres the car would be unstable when braking at speed

By the way a car that can accelerate from 0-60 at 1G will get there in 2.7 seconds .Still some way to go Mr Felstead )