Wheel bearing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2000, 01:50 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave,

Other possible culprits to the 'clacking' noise could be:

1) Worn CV joints - usually a clonking/knocking type of noise on full-lock. I'd imagine they are quite expensive, but you should be able to source one from a scrappy.

2) Front Diff problems - more of a creaking/knocking sound (does this make any sense? ) that will increase in frequency the tighter the turning circle. This is probablably even more expensive to fix

IMHO I think the above two explainations are be more likely than a worn wheel bearing . If you have worn bearings they should be fairly evendent when driving straight or round a gentle radius (thus side loading the bearings). Also, it should increase in frequency and intensity the faster you drive - you are unlikely to hear it at low speeds unless the brg unit is completely shot...in which case it would make a real racket when motoring along!

Another final explaination is play in your suspension bushings - but this is more likely to happen at higher side g-forces, i.e. cornering hard. I'm not sure if you'd experience it at parking speeds.

I hope I'm not talking complete bllx - can anyone else help?

Cheers,

Andy

PS. I have my very own rear rattling/knocking noise which I think must be suspension strut or bushing related. But can only hear this at lower speeds on un-even surfaces.

[This message has been edited by andyp (edited 21-07-2000).]
Old 24 July 2000, 03:17 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave,

sorry to hear it was your CV joint I was crossing my fingers that it was simply a bearing
I think the trick would be to repost a 'HELP!!!' topic on the BBS to see if anyone has done this before,

Good luck

Andy