Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Cracking OE Brake Discs...!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2000, 06:14 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I've got an MY99 that's done 16K miles, and had it's annual service today...I was shown hairline cracks appearing on my front discs.

Has anyone else seen this on an MY99, MY00 ?

Just wondering if I have a case for replacement under warranty or will have to stump up for new discs??

I'm going to have to do something very soon.
Old 01 July 2000, 08:38 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 17 September 2000).]
Old 01 July 2000, 08:59 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Its a VERY common fault.
Old 02 July 2000, 05:21 PM
Maddog
Scooby Regular

I`ve got cracks on my discs but 3 dealers so far refuse to replace them saying that the car brakes normally but to monitor it if it worsens.
What can i do to get them to change them, after all it`s not costing the dealer anything?
Old 03 July 2000, 11:20 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

My disks warped @ 17K miles - pads not completly worn out and i had not driven it hard for all of those miles! - dealer replaced the disks under warranty - i posted a thread on this site and had a handful of replies from people with the same year cars and miles with the same fault - i have not hear of the disks cracking before though

Might be worth a call to Subaru UK - I spoke with a chap named Paul in the technical department who was most helpful.

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 03-07-2000).]
Old 04 July 2000, 07:43 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

MY99 @ 18K and in need of some new disks due to stress cracks. Speaking to 2 dealers about when I could get them replaced under waranty. The disks are not warped but I need new pads so would like to do both at the same time.

DaveW
Old 04 July 2000, 11:25 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

The MOT testers manual and DOT catagorisation of defects manual both state that hairline concentric cracks on discs are part of the normal wear and tear process and should be ignored unless obviously serious. If the discs are warped then this is different.
K
Old 05 July 2000, 09:39 AM
andymac
Scooby Regular

My discs are scoured very badly after fitting mintext 1155 pads (Subaru / Prodrive reconigsed parts). I've been told that I can have my discs replaced under warrenty (they've done 45K miles so I'm not complaining !), but that for me to do that, I need to replace the pads at the same time (at cost to me). The pads have done 20K so I'm not too bothered. I'm looking to change the discs to group N crossdrilled jobs to stop them glazing the pads (something else that's happend). I'm waiting to find out from my dealer if they will come to an arrangement for this work in terms of giving me a discount somewhere along the line for not acutally having to supply the discs that they would otherwise replace.

cheers

ANdy
Old 06 July 2000, 12:40 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thankyou all for your helpful replies...

My dealership has shafted me on several occasions (Another thread!), and I shall give them one last chance to do this under warranty. I shall warn them of my intent to write to Subaru UK regarding their various inept and unprofessional actions and see where that gets me. Last chance saloon - LISTERS !
Old 06 July 2000, 10:37 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

my99 now on 4th set off discs & pads (39K);( all discs changed under warrenty by my dealer, only paid for one set of pads so far.
last change 1k ago I was told by dealer that if pads / discs have done under 20k, warrenty will cover the whole shooting match, this was in a reply from suk
he even put prodrive ferodo DS2000 front pads in foc for me

simon
Old 06 July 2000, 10:23 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Maddog

Just a note from an automotive suppliers point of view. Even if it does not cost the dealer anything to replace the parts there is a cost to someone. That cost is far in excess of the piece price of the part.

Supplying exhausts we suffer really badly from this. Any noises, rattles, or generally dissatisfied customers, and dealers change the exhaust to fob them off, - even when it is nothing to do with that part. It is a placebo effect as used by doctors with sugar pills.

The part then goes to warranty recall and has to be examined and a tear down performed to show how the failure has occurred (or not!!!!) then a report written which all cost a darn sight more than a replacement exhaust system (that was not needed in the first place!) - I am sure it is the same with other supplier parts. - All this adds to the overall price of the vehicle.

Mick

[This message has been edited by Mick (edited 06-07-2000).]
Old 07 July 2000, 10:38 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Andymac.

Group 'N' discs, will not be cross drilled.

We sell both Genuine Group 'N' discs, (same as normal disc but grey cast iron) which are better quality than the OEM part.

We already sell these to Subaru dealers who use them in Warranty issues.

If you want grooved or drilled, we will imminently be selling Black Diamond products who do product for 99MY<

Mike.
Old 08 July 2000, 01:32 AM
Bassem
Scooby Newbie

Hi all. I fitted the UK spec WRX brakes to my US spec impreza rs. When fitting the discs I noticed that they were not directionally vented and think that could be the root cause of the problem. Usually, for higher perf. cars they vent them directinally, no? Was wondering if anyone else thought along the same lines

Bassem