Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

wheel off-set on OZ for new P1

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2000, 05:27 PM
Swiss Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

does anyone know what the off-set is on the new OZ wheel fitted to the P1 ? (& what's this wheel called ?)

Having tried (so far unsuccessfully) to obtain from UK dealers & PRODRIVE I was amazed to see a 99 Turbo sitting on the dealers forecourt this morning fitted with the very same wheels...

Dealer told me this wheel is currently being homologated by SUBARU Switzerland (as all things have to be, here... ) and will be available via dealer network.
According to him, the offset on this one here in Switz. is 45mm... which seemed a bit on the small side. (would they (OZ) really produce a special wheel for only 1000 vehicle Ltd.Edition ???).

With the lowered suspension on this car it looked like it might just foul the bodywork (with 215mm DUNLOP tyres fitted.. but dealer said it was OK..)

Swiss dealer price is a tad expensive on this wheel at 540 SFr / 200 GB Pds equiv.
Maybe still cheaper in UK ?

Any ideas on the offset and whether 45mm is too small ?
Old 30 May 2000, 06:06 PM
Martin Cook
Scooby Regular

I was always led to believe that OZ have made thase wheels just for the P1. The price from a dealer for 18'rims including tyre's is £2,000.00 or 5,400 Sfr

Martin
Old 30 May 2000, 08:02 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yo Swiss Steve

the offset of the OZ Prodrive Wheels available here in Switzerland is 52mm. Just give OZ in Geneva ( 022/989 06 71) a ring and ask for Mr. Valenti. According to the information I got he must be able to give you the relevant information.
I guess the one and only nice thing about these wheels is you haven't to clean them all the time because they already look dirty

Just kidding and a matter of taste

See ya on Swiss roads (if you can keep up with me)

Scoobymike
Old 30 May 2000, 08:10 PM
Swiss Steve
Scooby Regular

Prodrive certainly try to corner the market withe exclusivity deals for UK sales rights on some things, but in this case I think it's SUBARU UK. I was told by Prodrive that they were not handling the wheel.

Last I heard from a UK dealer that the P1 wheel (17") would not be sold separately but a 18" option will be available as an upgrade but not for another 2 - 3 months. Whether thisis onloy for P1 owners, or for anybody is another question. P1 owners upgrading may therefore be off-loading their standard 17" / tyres... which I was counting on, till I saw these wheels this morning, here in Switzerland.

UK magazine reviews have stated that the P1 wheel was styled by Peter Stevens, and it did make it sound like it was especially for the P1 - but now I doubt that - unless the P1 wheel, although same design as the one I saw today may have different offset more in line with Prodrive's preference.

b.t.w. - ScoobyMania have list price for OZ Super T of 230 GB Pds - which makes my 540 SFr / 200 Pds for the "P1" OZ sound reasonable... (especially given high strength of the Pound at present)

But - what's the Offset ?!!
Old 30 May 2000, 08:19 PM
Swiss Steve
Scooby Regular

Wink

ScoobyMike

WOOoooo that sounds like 'fightin' talk !'
(just kiddin).

THX.
Will give them a call tomorrow, & check for local outlets and better prices than SUBARU main dealers.

Just learnt today that all bits in Switzerland have to Homologated... You heard anything to support / refute this ?
which sort of puts the dampers on me getting more stuff from Prodrive... especially as Subaru Schweiz don't seem to be interested in selling Prodrive.

Do you know the name of the style of the P1 wheel (presumably OZ call it something other than 'the P1 wheel' !)

Steve
8135 (near Horgen)
Old 30 May 2000, 09:15 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The Super T (EVO) is a different wheel though!

Look at our SR500 wheel, that is an almost identical design to the new P1 wheel, Will accommodate big brakes, looks great and they are only £135. each.

Mike.
Old 31 May 2000, 05:08 PM
Swiss Steve
Scooby Regular

The definitive answer to all those P1 Wheel questions (hopefully).
Just rec'd following from a very helpful contact at PRODRIVE.

quote:
Dear Steve

I have been following the thread on the BBS about the P1 wheel, I thought I should set the record straight, I am happy for you to cut and paste this to the BBS.

The P1 wheel (7x17'' P-WRC1) is ONLY available though the Subaru distributors in Europe, however, in the UK it is not available AT ALL - IN SUBARU ET52.

A decision was made to allow OZ to distribute the 17'' wheel, they supply the ET52 (Subaru fitment) only to the Importers, but the are also producing a ET45 (ET48?) and some companies are supplying this as suitable for Subaru's.

The 45mm offset is NOT suitable for the Impreza, this is not Prodrive trying to "corner" or "hold-onto" the market, it is simple engineering, when the Impreza is fitted with an ET less than about 50mm it starts to tramline, by the time you get to 45mm it will tramline and follow camber. With the correct ET52 the geometry is similar to factory standard, the vehicle behaves as standard.

The 18'' P1 wheel will only be available from Prodrive - and whoever we supply it to for re-sale.

Re Homolagation: It is my belief that OZ have TUV etc on this wheel, I certainly would expect them to have this. However Subaru Schweiz seem to have their own set of standards.....!

Prodrive parts are (in theory) available from the Subaru Importer / Dealer network all through Europe (and other parts of the world) In practice it is not this simple, in the UK we have a fantastic relationship with Subaru UK, in some of the other countries it is not always so strong. This can lead to communication problems with the end user, the upsurge of internet usage is helping to reduce these problems though.

I hope this goes some way to help you understand the situation.

Kind regards

Export Account Manager
Performance Vehicle Products
Prodrive
unquote
Old 31 May 2000, 06:20 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Hi SwissSteve

nice to find someone here in Switzerland who doesn't take things too serious!

The wheel is simply called "Prodrive". What a surprise. They must be homologated otherwise they wouldn't sell them.

Coming back to the Prodrive item. Subaru Swiss isn't interested at all to sell you these parts. My friend works for Emil Frey the importer of Subaru so I've got quite good relations concerning such information.
The other problem is the bloody homologation thing. One of the upgrades I've done to the car is fitting braided steel hoses. Now the homologation sheet is still missing and I'm in some trouble with the "Strassenverkehrsamt".
I also upgraded the suspension with Konis and Terra springs. Unfortunately that lowered the car by more than 40mm and now I experienced some trouble while driving to Hockenheim last weekend to watch the "DTM". Sometimes the German motorways are so bad that you think you trashed the suspension. Now I'm gonna fit Eibachs with homologation. They just lower the car 15-20mm. That seems to be more reasonable. If you're interested to drive an upgraded car with bigger wheels, brakes, tuned engine .... let's make an appointment. We can also discuss about ordering some parts for Imprezas because my father is in the car business as well as a lot of my friends. I live near St. Gallen but I grew up in Langnau a.A. You should now this town. Just give me ring on my mobile 076/348 24 45 or 071/912 54 63.

See ya soon and enjoy your free day

scoobymike
Old 31 May 2000, 10:22 PM
Swiss Steve
Scooby Regular

ScoobyMike..

you're joking !!!

I LIVE in Langnau am Albis !!! (opposite the Hirschen, & work in Horgen)

will give you a call & arrange a meeting. I have also initiated contact with 3 other folks here via this BSS.

Steve
Old 01 June 2000, 09:26 AM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve

I'm looking forward to meeting you. Great stuff you meet people in Switzeland via the BBS in UK!!! Thanks to the mates over there in the UK for this special admiration for Scoobies.

See ya soon

Scoobymike
Old 01 June 2000, 09:34 AM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Steve

I'm really looking forward to meeting you. It's great stuff this BBS. Thanks to all these mad blokes over there in the UK for their special admiration of scoobies. After my stage in London in 98 and getting infected by the scoobyvirus it's cool to get to know people here in the country of chocolate and mountains who are also freaks.

See ya soon

scoobymike

(June 10 big tuner meeting in Hockenheim, last year Marc Surer (former Formula 1 driver for arrows) drove some quick lap in a tuned scooby)
Old 01 June 2000, 07:50 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I once chuckled as I watched a German lad chatting up an Italian girl, on holiday many years ago. They succeeded in arranging a date, despite the quality of their English, the only language they could both speak.

But you two live next door to each other!!!!

Brilliant. Long live the BBS.
Old 02 June 2000, 06:23 AM
Swiss Steve
Scooby Regular

...but I AM English !
(I just live & work here in Switzerlnad)

..and named myself Swiss Steve after Swiss Tony on "The Fast Show" (OK, I know it's not so funny)

"Driving a Subaru Impreza is like making love to a beautiful woman... first you have to.. etc then when you turn it on you can feel it throb... and if you push it too hard you feel it starting to slip etc etc"

Derbyshire Steve