Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

F1 s Problem or not?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2000, 05:59 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Had a puncture recently, so instead of just replacing the single tyre i replaced the axle with F1s. Ok i have only done a couple of hundred miles on them so i dont no if they need to scrub in more or not, but they feel ****!!!!.
They seem ok on normal driving, quieter and more comfortable but on my way home tonight i decided to have some fun on the backroads by where i live, when in a bend the tyre wall feels like it is giving, making the car unstable. It seems to lurch on direction change.
I was planning to change the front Potenzas to F1s in a couple of weeks but now having doubts.
Could someone please explain this, is it because i am mixing tyres?, or softer sidewalls? or not worn in? or what. I now wish i had stuck with Potenzas or gone for more expensive SO2s.
Thanks in advance
Paul

Old 28 April 2000, 06:03 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Forgot to sy, Wheels 16", Pressure f35 r32

Paul
Old 28 April 2000, 08:07 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi

When I got my F1's (215/45z17s on A Legacy GTB) they were horrebndous for the first few hundred miles. Expecting them to be superb (I'd had them on my Supra) after the RE010s I lost it big time on a roundabout and a bend. Now they've "scrubbed" in and the oil to free them from the mould has come off they are superb in the wet where they just inspire so much confidence, they are fairly ordinary in the dry but you would have to be really hoofing it to need something with more grip in the dry

Paul
Old 29 April 2000, 12:55 AM
strong
Scooby Regular

Based on an experience yesterday with S-02s and S-01s and comments from another person running F1s I think I might have an answer.

Some people have complained about the softness of the sidewalls of S-02s -- the car leans seems to lean over more in bends. I also noticed this when I first fitted S-02s a year ago.

Yesterday I put on my newly purchased track day wheels/tyres which have partly worn S-01s. The difference was immediately noticeable -- simply less body roll, but ultimate grip was less (very much so in the wet).

Mike Nunan has commented to me that his F1s (16") suffer from a certain amount of the same sort of floppiness as the S-02s.

Therefore you have tyres with quite different cornering characteristics on each axle, which can't be good for stability in a bend. I don't remember hearing any complaints from people with 4 F1s.

Paul
Old 29 April 2000, 01:32 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

I have F1's all round on a UK MY99 turbo running std pressures, I found them to be a lot better than the original tyres.

For a short time I had F1's on the front and the original tyres on the back, the handling was very poor.
Old 29 April 2000, 03:11 PM
DavieR
Scooby Regular

Ran a set of 17" Goodyear F1's for a year with no problems, but I remember not being too impressed with them at first, until they settled in, after that they were great and superb in the wet. Will be replacing them soon with SO2's, so I'll see if they're as good.
Old 29 April 2000, 07:33 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Lads
Seems the problem could be due to two different types of tyres then. This makes sense as each axle will be handling with different characteristics. Best go out a replace the two fronts on Monday.
Cheers
Paul
Old 01 May 2000, 06:57 PM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

Ihave f1.s on my 95 WRX have been excellent in 10 thousand miles so far . Pressures at 35 1bs each corner , brilliant in the wet!! Graham.