Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Michelin tires

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2000, 09:24 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, just had a set of michelins 205 45 17s fitted after getting endless prises from the supplier. They were also the only tires at 205/45/17 other than the dubious Goodyear eagles F1 and some so-so cheap Dunlops.
Anyway, as I have never had Michelins before, nor any Scooby I know, the question is...are they any good??

wall
Old 29 April 2000, 12:40 AM
strong
Scooby Regular

Are you basing your 'dubious' comment on the F1s on one post where the person fitted them to one axle? If so, that's not fair.

Considering that the F1s (along with S-02s) have beat all others, including Michelins in Autocar's tyre tests over the last few years, I'd say Michelins as a whole are not as good.

Exactly what tyre model do you have? I have a couple of tyre tests I can check against.

Paul
Old 29 April 2000, 04:36 PM
Mark Coleman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

you won't beat an F1 in the rain and they are also excellent in the dry. The only downside to them is that they blister more in the heat at a twisty track day like Cadwell. My experience has been with 15" so with 16 or 17's, with lower profiles they would probably be even better.

When will people learn to drive slowly on a new set of tyres for at least 500 miles to let the rubber oils out naturally. You hear it so many times - i've just fitted x brand and took the car for a thrashing - didn't like what i found !!!!!!!

Old 01 May 2000, 01:13 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

I heard mixed reports about the F1s from wrx owners. Some swear by them, other hate them. Ultimate grip is not the benchmark to me, but rather how progressively they let go. The F1 users who hate them, all seem to agree that grip is fantastic and often superior to others (in the wet especially), but when they let go it is not exactly a user friendly progressive feel.
Can't comment on the Michelins yet as I've only done 300 leisurely miles on them. Give me another week and next weekend I'll take them for a spin on a twisty country lane and post some feedback.
By the way, as a comparative measure, I used S0-2s before in 205/50/16, and the Michelins are SVX (I think) in 205/45/17.

wall
Old 01 May 2000, 01:44 AM
strong
Scooby Regular

Interesting what you've heard about the F1s because no-ones complained about them here.

However people have complained about how the S-02s let go. How did you find them?

I personally can't say the S-02s are too bad on the way they let go, but then I have no point of reference (until I get my S-01s sliding, soon I'm sure).

Can a tyre with as much ultimate dry grip as S-02s have be expected to let go as progressively at higher speeds than other tyres can manage?

I think it comes down to how you drive. If you're an up-to-the-limit type driver (ie rarely going over) then ultimate grip may be more important. If you're an over-the-limit driver (maybe because you drive on unknown roads a lot) then progressiveness might be more important. Does that make any sense?

Paul
Old 01 May 2000, 07:06 PM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

F1.s excellent tyres even better in the wet . Graham 95 WRX.