Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Safe rubbers...

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2000, 09:09 AM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the subject line should have got your attention! Unfortunately, the follow up (through?) is far less interesting. At the weekend I collected a set of unused tyres and wheels (hi Ian - did you look at the Evo?). Since January last year they've been stored in a loft. And they won't go on my motor for at least another year. So today's daft question is: do tyres perish? Is there anything I can do storage-wise/protection-wise to preserve them? At the moment, I'm planning to leave them in the loft (stacked or side-by-side?). But I'd be hugely grateful if there are any rubber experts (not the exotic party-goer types) who can offer me useful advice.

Ta.
Old 16 March 2000, 09:57 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Tyres do perish. They also get harder as they age.

They perish more quickly in UV light so keep them in the dark.

I remember seeing a product which allegedly reinstates the grippiness of old tyres lost due to hardening. I think it was in the Demon Tweeks motorsport catalogue but I may be wrong.

If you have any doubts about the tyres get some new ones. They are the only thing keeping you in contact with the road.
Old 16 March 2000, 10:21 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Doc is right about the UV perishing the rubber - keep them in the attic/celler and you should be fine.

When you fit them to the car, check a short while after fitting to see if there is any cracking in the sidewall, or any suspicious looking bulges. You should be fine storing them for two years - I've had tyres fitted and in use for longer than that (low mileage, lots of standing between periods of use).

Cheers,

Alex
Old 16 March 2000, 04:13 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys. Very helpful. One other thing - do you think it makes any difference if they're stacked on top of each other, or would they be better side-by-side (not that I have that much room in the loft: I'll have to check...).
Old 16 March 2000, 04:29 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I can't imagine it really matters - you'll be ok either way.

Alex