Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Green Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2000, 10:51 AM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a WRX STi 3 which needs new disc pads, front and rear. I have been recommended to replace my current pads with EBC Green Stuff front pads and a black version (? is it black stuff) for the rears. Apparently the braking percentage on the rears should be less than on the fronts.
Does anyone have any experience of EBC Green Stuff and any knowledge about braking percentages front and rear?
Old 16 March 2000, 11:01 AM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Green Stuff seem pretty good to me, been using them for 4000 miles, fairly fade resistant, don't squeek and brake well (high friction coefficient) - they do produce dust thought so don't believe the BS about no dust - I do get a strange effect of no brakes for a couple of attempts just after washing the car wich I didn't get with Subaru pads (Green stuff are also cheap)

The car needs better braking at the front than the back because the front weighs more and under braking weight transfer makes this far more marked - but if the front is being uprated I can't see why the back shouldn't be uprated as well, provided it the braking is still at a lower level than the front - otherwise the rears will lock up under hard braking

Paul
Old 16 March 2000, 01:54 PM
Martinr
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Steve,

Recently replaced the standard STi pads with Greenstuff on the front. Much better feel and bite.

Not experienced (yet) the 'hole' in performance after washing the car though. Must remember that one next time I go for a blast in a clean car, either that or sod it and don't wash it!

Mart.
Old 16 March 2000, 04:41 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I'm getting a warmer feeling about the brakes.
I'm still a little nervous. I've been recommended Green Stuff for the brakes and Royal Purple synthetic oil. The car is white with gold wheels, red mudflaps and pink badges. I just don't wanna give out the wrong message!!!
Old 16 March 2000, 05:42 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Steve.

I used Green Stuff for 15,000 miles and they were fine.
I am currently using Red Stuff which feel better IMHO.
I use Yellow Stuff for track days.
The black pads they're referring to are probably their normal kevlar road pads, but I haven't used these.
I would use Green Stuff in the rears too, because although the rears do less work, their job is just as important!!

Stef.
Old 16 March 2000, 06:52 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Stef.

They recommended the black kevlar pads for the rear because they said that the braking effort on the rear of the car should be less than on the front. With the Green Stuff on the rears as well there would be higher stress levels placed on the rear diff?

Does that make sense??

Steve.

[This message has been edited by SteveG (edited 16-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SteveG (edited 16-03-2000).]
Old 16 March 2000, 07:20 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

With green stuff all round you will still have less braking effort at the back because you have smaller discs and callipers at the back. With green stuff at the front and normal pads at the back you are moving the braking balance forward from what Subaru set (As you do with big brake upgrades at the front only, whitch can cause the back to feel twitchy)

Subaru use the same pad material all round and its fine to use green all round. As for too high a load being put on the diff; what a load of rubbish, there still won't be anywhere near the braking effort from the front

Paul

[This message has been edited by pnebbs (edited 16-03-2000).]
Old 17 March 2000, 12:15 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I Agree with Paul.
I would personally prefer to use performance pads all round.
They may not have to be of equal quality (I intend to use Yellow on front and Red on rear for future track days) as it's true the fronts will get much hotter and be under more stress, but I think it's better to uprate them all.
For road use standard rear pads may be OK, but it's your choice.
There can't be that much in it price wise anyway, seeing as Greens are so cheap?
Do they make Greens for the rears?
What a pants statement about the diff though!!
Who is this?

Stef.
Stef.